Pre-Requisites for Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssnn.g

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a question about the pre- requisites,i am an international student and i want to take the courses in a 4 year university.Should i apply for the university to take them?or i have to take them as a non-degree courses?I'll be so grateful if you can answer to my question.

Members don't see this ad.

4-year universities are usually the place to take them, unless you want to take them at a community college for cheaper. I think Biochemistry is the only prereq. that is usually required to be at a 4-year university

4-year universities are usually the place to take them, unless you want to take them at a community college for cheaper. I think Biochemistry is the only prereq. that is usually required to be at a 4-year university
I do appreciate your feedback,but my question is if i want to take them in a 4 year university what should i do?I have to apply for the university?or i have to register for the non-degree courses?i don't know how should i register to take them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some universities allow you to take classes as a non-matriculated student.
However, dental schools prefer to accept applicants who have/will get a degree. I recommend you apply for the university, so you can get a BA or BS degree at the end of your four years.

I do appreciate your feedback,but my question is if i want to take them in a 4 year university what should i do?I have to apply for the university?or i have to register for the non-degree courses?i don't know how should i register to take them.
Oh I see! Sorry I misunderstood. I know some places allow you to take classes without enrolling but I think it depends on the school because some want you to enroll. I do agree you should get a Bachelorette first, but if you already have one just call the school you want to attend and ask how you can take classes without perusing a degree.

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

Some universities allow you to take classes as a non-matriculated student.
However, dental schools prefer to accept applicants who have/will get a degree. I recommend you apply for the university, so you can get a BA or BS degree at the end of your four years.
Thanks for your feedback, I am a graduated MD , but not from United States.I moved here 4 months ago, and i just recently decided to pursue dental school. I had taken all those courses back my home country but seems i have to retake them here to have these credits from the United States.So what do you think that i have to do?

Oh I see! Sorry I misunderstood. I know some places allow you to take classes without enrolling but I think it depends on the school because some want you to enroll. I do agree you should get a Bachelorette first, but if you already have one just call the school you want to attend and ask how you can take classes without perusing a degree.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, i do have a MD degree but not from the United States. I had taken all those courses back my home country but seems i have to retake them here to have these credits from the United States.So i think i have to call the school and ask for the non-degree courses.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, i do have a MD degree but not from the United States. I had taken all those courses back my home country but seems i have to retake them here to have these credits from the United States.So i think i have to call the school and ask for the non-degree courses.
Yea I would try to find out how to take the non degree courses at specific schools. Maybe you can call a few dental schools first and double check if you have to retake courses you already took in your country.

Yea I would try to find out how to take the non degree courses at specific schools. Maybe you can call a few dental schools first and double check if you have to retake courses you already took in your country.

Thank you, actually i already talked to them and they have told me that they will accept my translations of transcripts, but i want to retake them to have the credits from here. i think my case is like the students who have BA of Art and have to take Science courses. Do you know that how do they take theses courses in a four year university? I am really confused now.

Last edited:
What you are looking for is an "informal post-bacc". Basically you are allowed to classes without working towards a degree.

Here is an example from my undergraduate university. Each school will of course have their own policies and procedures. This is just to give you an idea.
http://www.cas.usf.edu/healthprofessions/newstudents/pb/

Reactions: 1 user
What you are looking for is an "informal post-bacc". Basically you are allowed to classes without working towards a degree.

Here is an example from my undergraduate university. Each school will of course have their own policies and procedures. This is just to give you an idea.
http://www.cas.usf.edu/healthprofessions/newstudents/pb/
Thanks for your feedback, i think that you are right, this is what i am looking for. Thank you very much.

Last edited: