Pre-Vet Runners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just downloaded the Zombie! Run app. Have any of you used it with treadmill running? I'm feeling blobish today, so I probably won't try it out, but thought I might tomorrow. However it's supposed to rain here, and I just wasn't sure if it was treadmill friendly since you have to avoid the zombies and all.
i never used it on a treadmill, but it should be. You can always set them to not be able to catch you for treadmill days

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good! Didn't realize that was an option.
Yeah you can use the accelerometer setting instead of gps (though of course the treadmill itself will probably be more accurate) and you can turn chases off. Or you can keep them on and just increase your speed when the zombies are after you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I love that this thread exists haha

I sort of do this thing where I only run in the winter because april-september is just too damn hot. (I live in Florida...)

I sort of do this thing where I only run in the winter because april-september is just too damn hot. (I live in Florida...)
Ahh lucky Florida weather!

I can only run outside in like April/early May... Or sometimes in September. I don't deal with too hot or too cold weather well at all.

My undergrad has an indoor track that I am so obsessed with! I get to run in the AC without having to run in place like on a treadmill. I'm sad my vet school won't have that as an option.. So I'm gonna need to suck it up and use the treadmill or run outside because I've been enjoying my progress in running, and I don't wanna lose it.

Treadmills make me want to shoot myself in the face. I'd rather run 10 miles outside than do 2 on a treadmill. Even watching TV or listening to books doesn't help, there's something about actually making progress and moving around an area that I need to not be absolutely miserable. Plus trees and creeks and animals. :D

Reactions: 3 users
Treadmills make me want to shoot myself in the face. I'd rather run 10 miles outside than do 2 on a treadmill. Even watching TV or listening to books doesn't help, there's something about actually making progress and moving around an area that I need to not be absolutely miserable. Plus trees and creeks and animals. :D

Agreed. On a good day, I can maybe make it to 4 miles on the treadmill but I just get soooo bored. Ideally, I'd love to just run one way outside for like 12 miles and then have someone bring me back home. I always hate the run back on a loop.

Reactions: 1 users
Ahh lucky Florida weather!
Grumpy-Cat-NO-1.jpg

Yeah I haven't run since my 10k because it's in the upper 80s to 90s all day here now. Don't want to die.

Reactions: 1 user
I can do the indoor track, but I can't do the treadmill haha. I did a 15k race right before spring break, and that's probably going to be it until next winter. Although I may not live in Florida anymore :shrug: not sure where'll be in the fall.....

Grumpy-Cat-NO-1.jpg

Yeah I haven't run since my 10k because it's in the upper 80s to 90s all day here now. Don't want to die.
I was still running fairly consistently when I did my July/Aug externship down in Tampa... went for a run at my normal time in later afternoon and about died, holy crap the humidity. Switched to nights and it was OK, but seriously mad respect for people who regularly run in that crap.

Agreed. On a good day, I can maybe make it to 4 miles on the treadmill but I just get soooo bored. Ideally, I'd love to just run one way outside for like 12 miles and then have someone bring me back home. I always hate the run back on a loop.
The trails I regularly run at are only a couple miles down the road from my house, I've definitely had someone drop me off there and just ran home before. It's really nice to feel like you accomplished more than just doing a giant loop.

Does anyone here run on the beach? I knew it was more difficult than running on pavement but I was unprepared for how much more difficult. Holy crap.

Does anyone here run on the beach? I knew it was more difficult than running on pavement but I was unprepared for how much more difficult. Holy crap.

I did like two miles once. I ran close to wear the water breaks where the sand was harder. My joints hurt a lot afterwards. Never really went for a jog in the fluffy sand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was still running fairly consistently when I did my July/Aug externship down in Tampa... went for a run at my normal time in later afternoon and about died, holy crap the humidity. Switched to nights and it was OK, but seriously mad respect for people who regularly run in that crap.

Yeah late afternoon that time of year in Florida is about as hot and sticky as it gets. Even nights are still kind of terribly. before 8 AM is the best if you can get up (which i never do. I just go to the gym at like noon or something instead lol)

Back when I had more time to do things like this I used to like to run like 4-5 miles out and then walk back. I find the walk back really cleared my mind and if I got bored or needed to get back faster than I had to run more out of necessity so it was a win-win!

edit: treadmills I absolutely cannot do. indoor tracks are a push, if I'm really motivated or there's a lot to look at I can but usually...its gotta be outside.

Femoral neck stress fracture, womp womp.

BUT, I'm allowed to spin, do yoga, and strength train upper body and core. AND I get to run on the anti-gravity treadmill 2x week for the next 4 weeks!! I shouldn't lose any fitness :clap:

My school is only a few minutes from the beach, so I run there occasionally. It's a big city beach with a lot of foot traffic though, so the sand is actually really hard.

I used to run back in the day and did track/cross-country to stay in shape for soccer. Lifting heavy is so much more enjoyable to me than running though, so you can imagine the current state of my cardio-ness. And my only options on a daily basis would be an arm-bike now.

Did a short run (4.6 km) with the app today. It's definitely interesting. I think I need to run slower to begin with because when I have to avoid the zombies, it gets tough really quickly.

I ran yesterday (5.5km) and today my right knee is twinging. I took today off from cross training but I hope it clears up by tomorrow...I *like* doing my training runs.

I've been ramping up my running intensity along with taking more gym classes and I have such annoying blisters on my big toes. It's right where the toe meets the body of the foot..doesn't hurt per se but feels really odd. I'm finding my gait shifting a bit to adjust. Lame.

Did a short run (4.6 km) with the app today. It's definitely interesting. I think I need to run slower to begin with because when I have to avoid the zombies, it gets tough really quickly.

lol what is this app about zombies, i think i missed something

I ran yesterday for the first time in ages. I just did two miles on the treadmill at the gym, but I made it without having to walk, and I wasn't thatttt slow. It's a victory in my book.

I'm bummed, I don't think I'm going to be able to do my half in two weeks :(

Things were going well, but then I fell and I don't know what in the world I did, but I couldn't walk all of last week without my hip hurting. It's back to normal now most of the time, but I took 10 days off and missed two long runs. If I had a higher mileage base going into it, I wouldn't be as worried, but my longest run at that point was 6 (I went slow since I've had a stress fracture in the past!), and I wasn't able to do my 7 and 8 with my hip. I'm going to attempt to run tonight, and I could try for 6 if I felt good I guess, and then do 8 this weekend and 10 next and maybe be okay.... but I don't know if it's worth it. I really do not want to hurt myself like that again and not be able to do anything for months. Ugh!

My fault for not starting up again regularly until Feb (signed up last August and only sporadically ran until then), but still sucks :(

I'm bummed, I don't think I'm going to be able to do my half in two weeks :(

Things were going well, but then I fell and I don't know what in the world I did, but I couldn't walk all of last week without my hip hurting. It's back to normal now most of the time, but I took 10 days off and missed two long runs. If I had a higher mileage base going into it, I wouldn't be as worried, but my longest run at that point was 6 (I went slow since I've had a stress fracture in the past!), and I wasn't able to do my 7 and 8 with my hip. I'm going to attempt to run tonight, and I could try for 6 if I felt good I guess, and then do 8 this weekend and 10 next and maybe be okay.... but I don't know if it's worth it. I really do not want to hurt myself like that again and not be able to do anything for months. Ugh!

My fault for not starting up again regularly until Feb (signed up last August and only sporadically ran until then), but still sucks :(
If you're looking to actually race and do really really well in the half, then it probably isn't worth it because two weeks out you don't want to be doing lots of long runs, you'll burn yourself out and your race time will be slower than your training runs. But if you just want to finish the half, I think you still have time to build up to it. My longest run was 6k before I did my 10k, so you don't necessarily have to get all the way up to half marathon distance before you do the race.

If you're looking to actually race and do really really well in the half, then it probably isn't worth it because two weeks out you don't want to be doing lots of long runs, you'll burn yourself out and your race time will be slower than your training runs. But if you just want to finish the half, I think you still have time to build up to it. My longest run was 6k before I did my 10k, so you don't necessarily have to get all the way up to half marathon distance before you do the race.

This would be my 4th half. I never go over 10 miles before cause I'm lazy :p

I was just doing this one for fun, and don't care about my time. I just really do not want to end up in a walking boot again (or worse...) because I was stupid with training again. If I'd had a better base with higher mileage, I'd be more whatever about missing the 10 days and long runs.

I checked the event page, and they have a 10k same day I can switch to. So the plan now is if I can do the 6 miles tonight without my hip hurting, I'll throw out a 8 and 10 the next two weekends and just do the half. But if I hurt, I'll aim for the 10k.

Fingers crossed my hip feels okay tonight!

This would be my 4th half. I never go over 10 miles before cause I'm lazy :p

I was just doing this one for fun, and don't care about my time. I just really do not want to end up in a walking boot again (or worse...) because I was stupid with training again. If I'd had a better base with higher mileage, I'd be more whatever about missing the 10 days and long runs.

I checked the event page, and they have a 10k same day I can switch to. So the plan now is if I can do the 6 miles tonight without my hip hurting, I'll throw out a 8 and 10 the next two weekends and just do the half. But if I hurt, I'll aim for the 10k.

Fingers crossed my hip feels okay tonight!
Well in that case, much less to worry about :D I hope your hip is ok and that you can do the half!

Back to running following my hip stress fracture. Ran 2 miles Friday, 7 on Sunday, and 5 today. So far so good ... minus the burning lungs part (residual cold from last week I think) :nod:

Back to running following my hip stress fracture. Ran 2 miles Friday, 7 on Sunday, and 5 today. So far so good ... minus the burning lungs part (residual cold from last week I think) :nod:

Was it you that I was discussing stress fractures with? I'm sorry it turned out to be one, but happy to hear you're back in action.

Thinking I might actually go for a run on the boardwalk tonight. The weather is super nice now that it rained. My half marathon kind of killed running for me.

I haven't been able to run in over 3 months now. Sustained a knee injury in the middle of a basketball game and I'm still waiting for the results. The unofficial report is a torn ACL and bone bruising but I won't know what extent until Friday. :(

I'll live vicariously through everyone posting their runs here.

Last edited:
I've been off running too. Got bit on my shin by one of my pigs and had a decent sized hematoma. So I kept off my legs and didn't run. Only a couple more weeks and it should be healed.

Was it you that I was discussing stress fractures with? I'm sorry it turned out to be one, but happy to hear you're back in action.
Thinking I might actually go for a run on the boardwalk tonight. The weather is super nice now that it rained. My half marathon kind of killed running for me.

That was me! It did turn out to be a stress fracture we think from when I fell and not from overuse, thankfully! The period where I should've been non-weight bearing was past at the time of diagnosis so I spent 5 weeks running on an anti-gravity treadmill and was allowed to spin and do yoga as long as I felt no pain. So it all worked out :)

Hope you had a great boardwalk run!

I've been off running too. Got bit on my shin by one of my pigs and had a decent sized hematoma. So I kept off my legs and didn't run. Only a couple more weeks and it should be healed.

OUCH!!!

Honestly, it hurt for a while. But the sow didn't come after me to bite me, she was trying to get a sow in a pen and my leg got in the way. When she realized she bit me instead, she backed up way fast! :laugh:

Honestly, it hurt for a while. But the sow didn't come after me to bite me, she was trying to get a sow in a pen and my leg got in the way. When she realized she bit me instead, she backed up way fast! :laugh:
Her 'oh ****' moment :laugh:

I tried the zombies app for the first time tonight. While I was out running on a dirt path connecting the neighborhood behind to mine, two super loud dirt bikers came flying out of the desert behind me. I was so in the zone and focused on listening to the app that holy sheet I nearly peed my pants. For a split second I took off sprinting as fast as I could before I realized there aren't really zombies in real life trying to eat me.

home-alone-screaming.gif

ETA: This video also pretty accurately describes how I felt. :laugh:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1465700247.350007.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1465700247.350007.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have to run inside this time of year because it's just too freaking hot, sucks because zombies is so much less effective on a treadmill :( and of course I got back to running and then stomped on a bolt on a DDR platform so I'll be taking another break...

I have to run inside this time of year because it's just too freaking hot, sucks because zombies is so much less effective on a treadmill :( and of course I got back to running and then stomped on a bolt on a DDR platform so I'll be taking another break...
I MUCH prefer the treadmill personally, but I wanted to try the zombie app so I ventured outside... it was 93 degrees and humid because a storm just finished. It was awful.

I MUCH prefer the treadmill personally, but I wanted to try the zombie app so I ventured outside... it was 93 degrees and humid because a storm just finished. It was awful.
It's so boring to me, but I don't want to die so it must be done

It's so boring to me, but I don't want to die so it must be done
See, I for some reason think the treadmill is much less boring. Outside I feel like the roads go on forever and I am not making progress, even though I am. On a treadmill I can constantly see the distance number going up slowly but surely, so I stay interested longer.

See, I for some reason think the treadmill is much less boring. Outside I feel like the roads go on forever and I am not making progress, even though I am. On a treadmill I can constantly see the distance number going up slowly but surely, so I stay interested longer.

Oh god. Watching the distance slowly go up kills me. I always turn it off or cover it with a towel. Outside keeps me much more entertained. I just hate the run back if I'm doing a loop.

Oh god. Watching the distance slowly go up kills me. I always turn it off or cover it with a towel. Outside keeps me much more entertained. I just hate the run back if I'm doing a loop.
I am fairly certain that if a hell was uniquely designed for me it would include that stupid red lettering slowly... slowly... inching up.

I miss running soooo much. But it's probably still another 2-3 weeks until my broken toe has healed enough to try it out. All my progress...! :(

I miss running soooo much. But it's probably still another 2-3 weeks until my broken toe has healed enough to try it out. All my progress...! :(

Could you try running in the pool? Or hop on the elliptical to maintain fitness?

Could you try running in the pool? Or hop on the elliptical to maintain fitness?

I am thinking of trying the elliptical next week, if I can wear my sneakers without discomfort. I've been wearing an open toe brace the last few weeks. I don't have pool access but the beach would probably work.

I am thinking of trying the elliptical next week, if I can wear my sneakers without discomfort. I've been wearing an open toe brace the last few weeks. I don't have pool access but the beach would probably work.

Bummer. Nothing is more depressing than wanting to run and not being able to.

Let us know how the elliptical goes! Sending good thoughts your way :xf: