Pre-Vet Runners

Started by Gwenevre
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Went running this morning with my cattle dog, great run. Got back to the house and my 2 Labs were sitting in the driveway. My first thought was that there was an intruder in the house (clearly I read too much crime fiction). In reality, my husband didn't latch the side gate when he put the trash cans out last night.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First time running in about 3 weeks! Even though it was 9:00 and dark out, I still had to take it easy on the mileage so pup-pup didn't overheat. But it was so nice to get out and move.
 
So I'm trying to come up with a plan to be able to run a 12K in November and I'm a little nervous because as of right now (with school being a turd and all), since I'm only up to ~5-6K comfortably and I'm pretty slow at adjusting to higher mileage. Any suggestions on how to adjust better? (Besides running more haha)

On that note, has anyone had any luck with goos/energy gels during a run? Does it help quite a bit?
 
So I'm trying to come up with a plan to be able to run a 12K in November and I'm a little nervous because as of right now (with school being a turd and all), since I'm only up to ~5-6K comfortably and I'm pretty slow at adjusting to higher mileage. Any suggestions on how to adjust better? (Besides running more haha)

On that note, has anyone had any luck with goos/energy gels during a run? Does it help quite a bit?
I personally don't like goos, but other people I know really like them and it helps them!
 
So I'm trying to come up with a plan to be able to run a 12K in November and I'm a little nervous because as of right now (with school being a turd and all), since I'm only up to ~5-6K comfortably and I'm pretty slow at adjusting to higher mileage. Any suggestions on how to adjust better? (Besides running more haha)

On that note, has anyone had any luck with goos/energy gels during a run? Does it help quite a bit?

I don't like goos either. I actually prefer real food but only if I'm running more than 10 miles. My go-to's are pretzels, bananas, frosted mini-wheats, and oranges and my husband and I both love Ultima Replenisher grape electrolyte powder. You just need to experiment to find what works for you 🙂

On your runs where you're running farther, run a tad slower.
 
Just entered the lottery to run the 2017 Chicago Marathon!!!!

The fun part is not knowing which coast we'll be living on at that time next year 😛
 
All of the OT threads are back up, so why not!

I took up seriously running a few months ago and someone gave me the most amazing Under Armor shoes for Christmas 😍 I think I enjoyed my Christmas day run too much bc my feet are still numb!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's fun to see this "runners" thread on SDN.

Last weekend, I competed in a 5K ... the weather was cold, drizzly, and occasionally rainy ... no worries. Everyone (over 1000 entrants) had a good time anyway.

In March, I'm competing in a half-marathon/5K that will benefit a cat rescue/cat adoption charity, among non-profits. I'm expecting this event to be well-attended, too.

In April, I'm competing in a sanctioned 10-mile/6K trail run, carving through canyons and mountains, as well as along a scenic ocean coastline. It will be my first "trail run." Have any of you completed in any trail runs?

It's nice to "meet" other runners on this thread - although I'm not a "pre-vet med student" - BUT I think you'll allow me to hang around anyway - just for fun!
 
It's fun to see this "runners" thread on SDN.

Last weekend, I competed in a 5K ... the weather was cold, drizzly, and occasionally rainy ... no worries. Everyone (over 1000 entrants) had a good time anyway.

In March, I'm competing in a half-marathon/5K that will benefit a cat rescue/cat adoption charity, among non-profits. I'm expecting this event to be well-attended, too.

In April, I'm competing in a sanctioned 10-mile/6K trail run, carving through canyons and mountains, as well as along a scenic ocean coastline. It will be my first "trail run." Have any of you completed in any trail runs?

It's nice to "meet" other runners on this thread - although I'm not a "pre-vet med student" - BUT I think you'll allow me to hang around anyway - just for fun!

Those sound really cool! That'll be fun! And of course we'll let you hang around haha. We like you, DocS. Now that you've played WW, you're one of us.

one of us... one of us....
 
It's fun to see this "runners" thread on SDN.

Last weekend, I competed in a 5K ... the weather was cold, drizzly, and occasionally rainy ... no worries. Everyone (over 1000 entrants) had a good time anyway.

In March, I'm competing in a half-marathon/5K that will benefit a cat rescue/cat adoption charity, among non-profits. I'm expecting this event to be well-attended, too.

In April, I'm competing in a sanctioned 10-mile/6K trail run, carving through canyons and mountains, as well as along a scenic ocean coastline. It will be my first "trail run." Have any of you completed in any trail runs?

It's nice to "meet" other runners on this thread - although I'm not a "pre-vet med student" - BUT I think you'll allow me to hang around anyway - just for fun!
Trail races are my favourite. I've done a couple five and ten mile ones and you need to be prepared to be slower than normal (if you're used to road racing) but the views and general vibe are great. Results may vary, but be prepared for a significantly lower density of water stops along the route and usually better snacks at the end. :hungry:

Make sure you're used to running on hilly/rough terrain... or at least a bit familiar. I don't know if you train on roads or trails but I find it's two slightly different forms of running. I'm much more "set it and forget it" on roads while on trails where you're constantly going up and down and turning and watching deer there's a lot more variability in speed.

And I'm not a pre-vet anymore either and they haven't yet kicked me out. 😉
 
Trail races are my favourite. I've done a couple five and ten mile ones and you need to be prepared to be slower than normal (if you're used to road racing) but the views and general vibe are great. Results may vary, but be prepared for a significantly lower density of water stops along the route and usually better snacks at the end. :hungry:

Make sure you're used to running on hilly/rough terrain... or at least a bit familiar. I don't know if you train on roads or trails but I find it's two slightly different forms of running. I'm much more "set it and forget it" on roads while on trails where you're constantly going up and down and turning and watching deer there's a lot more variability in speed.

And I'm not a pre-vet anymore either and they haven't yet kicked me out. 😉
@Trilt, thanks for the sound advice!

I'm very familiar with hiking on rough terrain, but not with "running" on that type of terrain. I'm certain my pace will be considerably slower - especially since I haven't had a chance to scope out the actual trail course itself. Do you think I need to do anything different with my running shoes? Or, are regular running shoes commonly used in (mountain, canyon, ocean coastline) trail races?

Your point about "set it and forget it" is well-taken. You're correct: I won't be able to zone-out and I'll definitely need to "watch" where I am going. Since I don't want to trip and fracture my ankle, my speed will likely be very slow, most of the time. Now, that you've mentioned variability in speed, I think this race will be more like a "snail pace" race for me. Plus, there are a lot of cougars, deer and coyotes in the canyon/mountainous course area, but I doubt they'll want to run with any of us! Actually, the cougars might prefer to run "after" us and chase everyone out of their natural habitat!
 
@Trilt, thanks for the sound advice!

I'm very familiar with hiking on rough terrain, but not with "running" on that type of terrain. I'm certain my pace will be considerably slower - especially since I haven't had a chance to scope out the actual trail course itself. Do you think I need to do anything different with my running shoes? Or, are regular running shoes commonly used in (mountain, canyon, ocean coastline) trail races?

Your point about "set it and forget it" is well-taken. You're correct: I won't be able to zone-out and I'll definitely need to "watch" where I am going. Since I don't want to trip and fracture my ankle, my speed will likely be very slow, most of the time. Now, that you've mentioned variability in speed, I think this race will be more like a "snail pace" race for me. Plus, there are a lot of cougars, deer and coyotes in the canyon/mountainous course area, but I doubt they'll want to run with any of us! Actually, the cougars might prefer to run "after" us and chase everyone out of their natural habitat!
As a plus you won't have to worry about your pace being slower if the cougars chase you on the run!
 
Ran today and I wanted to die. Attempting to get back into the running game since vet school destroyed my routine last semester. Here's to hoping this semester goes better than last in terms of exercising.

I ended up napping after exercising today for the first time in awhile. I could barely walk up the stairs so I feel you. I have both the sanity check cd and the whole insanity album. I only did the sanity check which is tamer than insanity. I'm gonna do that for a week or so then pray for me as I attempt insanity again
 
Been taking a break for running because I have to temporarily pull some erging (the rowing machine) out of my ass for the next 3 weeks- I'm on our schools rowing team- but I'm a coxswain so I usually don't do any actually rowing and exercise on my own doing things I'm better at (aka running and lifting...). The rowing machine is killing me though- my back is so painfully sore right now ugh..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I must proudly share with the world that I finished a 25k (~15.5 mile) run today. I'm on my school's D1 rowing team and this was a "fun" practice. After being out for several months for illness, I only slightly regret not being well trained for this (read: trained at all). Might not ever run again.
 
I must proudly share with the world that I finished a 25k (~15.5 mile) run today. I'm on my school's D1 rowing team and this was a "fun" practice. After being out for several months for illness, I only slightly regret not being well trained for this (read: trained at all). Might not ever run again.

Wow, where do you row!?!? I'm a coxswain on a club team 🙂
 
I used to competitively row. Now I just erg because I clearly hate myself. lol.

I did it in high school too, and somehow I'm still on a team even though I don't have time really lmao. Our team is really close though, basically all my friends have some connection to rowing.
And I feel you haha- I don't normally erg, I do running and lifting on my own, but I'm trying to prep for my 1000m coxswain sprint :laugh:
 
Ran for the first time since my half marathon and it was probably the sloppiness run I've done in a long time. Only did two miles (pace was meh for me at rougly a sub 9 mile) ...probably could have done three but didn't want to overdo it and it was getting dark. And I might have been starting on a blister on the bottom of my left foot. I always get them on that foot likely cause it's apparently a full size smaller than my right.
 
Last edited:
Running my first half marathon in April right before graduation! I am by no means a runner, but I am trying this out because I have dreamed of running a Disney Half for the past 3 years. I'm still trying to figure out a training schedule, but as of right now I can run around 3.45 miles in under 50 minutes. :clap:
 
Despite not running in forever due to my schedule I was able to run a whole 4 miles the other day (which is huge for me)! Take that vet school!
 
If I could make myself a morning workout person it would be easier. However I always feel so clumsy in the morning. The only activity I've managed to be able to do well in the morning was swimming.
If i can get out of bed, im great- I actually prefer to do it in the morning. But I also love staying up late so these don't go well together..
 
I'm trying to train for a 15k in April that I agreed to run with some friends. Say nothing of the fact that I haven't ever run that far, and haven't run much at all since...well at least vet school. I'm trying to go 3 times a week, but I might have to back off some since I've had a little patellar pain following (not during, which is odd) my last couple of runs. That, and it's back to the single digits today, and just no.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
~Necrobumping~

I just got a Fitbit! So I'm excited! Hopefully, I can actually get into running now... or at least walking more! I've been swimming laps lately, so that's good- I'm just trying to get healthy for a change!
Feel free to friend me on fitbit! I use my fitbit a lot and I love having challenges to hold myself accountable. 🙂
 
This thread popping up (thanks to Sandy!) inspired me to download the Zombies app. Omg. I'm so excited!! Before tearing my ACL last February, my BF and I were consistently running. I had surgery 13 months ago and still haven't picked it back up, while he has now transitioned to stationary biking every day. I think something like this will help me get back in the groove. I really need some new running shoes. My Brooks Ghost 7's were amazing to my feet but have worn out. Anyone know of a shoe similar that isn't quite as costly?
 
Cure for Finals stress- run a 50 miler
Cure for legs trying to fall off post 50 - Finals stress

Also, applesauce is amazing wonderful delicious ambrosia. Everything else is disgusting.
 
This thread popping up (thanks to Sandy!) inspired me to download the Zombies app. Omg. I'm so excited!! Before tearing my ACL last February, my BF and I were consistently running. I had surgery 13 months ago and still haven't picked it back up, while he has now transitioned to stationary biking every day. I think something like this will help me get back in the groove. I really need some new running shoes. My Brooks Ghost 7's were amazing to my feet but have worn out. Anyone know of a shoe similar that isn't quite as costly?
@wallydo ... I'm using New Balance shoes for my trail runs. Although I am female, I purchase the men's model because my feet are wide (as if I'm a polar bear or something). I've been able to purchase the shoes at deep discounts online (around $45.00 or less versus $75.00 - $90.00). The New Balance shoes work very well for all of my runs and outdoor treks.