Pregnancy During Med School/Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentSuzuki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the options if a woman happens to get pregnant during med school? Can you take a year or two off and go back and start with the year you left off with, or do you have to start all over? What about getting pregnant during residency? Any personal stories would be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the options if a woman happens to get pregnant during med school? Can you take a year or two off and go back and start with the year you left off with, or do you have to start all over? What about getting pregnant during residency? Any personal stories would be appreciated. Thank you.

In medical school, usually people just take time off. My classmates who had kids during school tried to plan the pregnancy for either at the end of 2nd year or during 4th year and/or delay starting residency a year. The end of 2nd year is a common choice since there's a natural break between the preclinical and clinical years (the same reason why many people take time off then for MPHs and research) and you don't lose the momentum from the clinical years into internship. You don't need to start over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goto mommd.com They are an amazing resource for any woman entering medicine. The forums and blogs are great. I know of many who had their babies during medschool, intern and further. When it happens, you adapt. Good luck!

Hi! I'm posting some links I just posted in the mother's advice thread:

Mommd.com: a group of committed moms who write about navigating the whole process with kids

Mom's Tinfoil Hat: A funny blog from a hippie mom who does it all!

Mothers in Medicine: A great team blog that tackles everything from sick days to stay at home dads from many awesome perspectives and represented specialties.

I'm actually planning on having kids in medical school and not taking time off. It's doable but it's going to suck! (Luckily I have a fiancé who is planning on being a stay at home dad lol)

Last edited:

are you pregnant? Are you married?

I had a baby during my fourth year of med school. I only took 4 weeks vacation after she was born and I'm graduating on time. PM me with any specific questions. :)

I hope I never have to work with a pregnant woman during residency. Having to pick up all the extra work during their time off would not be very fun.

are you pregnant? Are you married?

I'd like to know this, too.

OP, you CAN take a year off. I've heard of that a lot. It's also totally possible to have a baby during medical school while staying with your current class, assuming you have a fairly uncomplicated pregnancy (as in, you aren't put on strict bedrest for 6 months, for example). IMO, this will depend on the supportiveness and availability of your SO and family, but with class capture (which most schools seem to have now) actually attending lecture seems to be largely optional. I am due at the end of September, and I start medical school in August. I will have to go in 2 days a week for my doctoring course and I'll have to go in for tests but otherwise I can stay home with my kid until they're old enough to go to daycare with their big sister. My husband already works from home 2 days a week and can do that more often if he needs to, so that's what we'll do on days I have to go into school.

I have no idea about residency. Ask me again in 4 1/2 years. :)

I hope I never have to work with a pregnant woman during residency. Having to pick up all the extra work during their time off would not be very fun.

Good luck with that!

If she is pregnant, what does it matter if she's married? How is her marital status relevant to this discussion?

Perhaps it should have been worded regarding whether or not she was still with the father? Having a present and supportive partner is pretty freakin' relevant to this discussion.

The question, though, was about marital status which hearkens back to pre-Women's Lib when women who were unmarried and pregnant were frequently discriminated against heavily in the workplace. Pet peeve, sorry. Semantics.

Asking the OP's marital status is a quick way of asking several questions at once:

1) Do you have a partner to support you through school and a kid?

2) Are you in a situation where you are likely to have a child?

3) Is it likely that your partner will still be with you in several years?

I understand that asking if she has a partner could have been done more eloquently, but political correctness can be taken too far :thumbdown:

I've had others tell me "There's no opportune moment to have a kid"

but,

If I had to vote.

I'd pick at the beginning of 4th year.

I think the worst time would probably be intern year, followed by 3rd year.

1st and 2nd seem ok, if your at a school where your physical presence is rarely required except for exams.

Asking the OP's marital status is a quick way of asking several questions at once:

1) Do you have a partner to support you through school and a kid?

2) Are you in a situation where you are likely to have a child?

3) Is it likely that your partner will still be with you in several years?

I understand that asking if she has a partner could have been done more eloquently, but political correctness can be taken too far :thumbdown:

that is exactly what I meant. If she is pregnant(lets say a few weeks pregnant) then she should seriously put some thought into this. if the father has left, then things will become even more difficult to discuss.

oops!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
for a woman to be pregnant in this day and age without a partner will lead to a many struggles. In many unfortunate cases, the absent father disappears, leaving the women stranded by herself.

Put it this way, can she both take care of her child while he/she is yelling and screaming, and study for an Anatomy test at the same time?

I had a baby during my fourth year of med school. I only took 4 weeks vacation after she was born and I'm graduating on time. PM me with any specific questions. :)

that is hilarious. Did you visit patients while you were pregnant? I mean, or did you take a break from that?

that is hilarious. Did you visit patients while you were pregnant? I mean, or did you take a break from that?

Hilarious? Really? I rotated all the way up to the day that I had my daughter - I was working in the ER in the morning and up in L&D by the evening.

OP, you CAN take a year off. I've heard of that a lot. It's also totally possible to have a baby during medical school while staying with your current class, assuming you have a fairly uncomplicated pregnancy (as in, you aren't put on strict bedrest for 6 months, for example). IMO, this will depend on the supportiveness and availability of your SO and family, but with class capture (which most schools seem to have now) actually attending lecture seems to be largely optional. I am due at the end of September, and I start medical school in August. I will have to go in 2 days a week for my doctoring course and I'll have to go in for tests but otherwise I can stay home with my kid until they're old enough to go to daycare with their big sister. My husband already works from home 2 days a week and can do that more often if he needs to, so that's what we'll do on days I have to go into school.

Good luck with that!

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Im assuming your either one of those people who fell in love and got married in college to live happily ever after, or your one of those people who decided on medical school later?

Um... both? I'm 26, so yes, I'm a non-trad, but I've been with my husband for 10 years.

No, I've been WITH him for 10 years, as in, a couple. We got married almost 3 years ago.

You may have to take time off as a resident, too - to have surgery, deal with your own medical issues, deal with sick family members, etc. So if you have a pregnant co-resident that you have to help cover for, suck it up, because you may have to request long periods of time off somewhere down the road.

Reactions: 4 users

Good luck with that!

This may be a stupid question but what will you do about labs? Aren't those required?

I'm not sure what you're asking me when you say labs. The doctoring course my school does twice a week? My husband will work from home the days I have to go in for those classes.

I'm not sure what you're asking me when you say labs. The doctoring course my school does twice a week? My husband will work from home the days I have to go in for those classes.

Naquadria probably means anatomy lab, microbiology lab, etc. Anatomy lab, for us, was required - was 4 hour-long sessions, 3 times a week. If you don't show up, it usually means more work for your lab partners. :(

:idea: Ohh, I gotcha.

Yeah. All I can do right now is hope that I don't go into labor before the end of gross anatomy, a few days before my due date. The block immediately following that that I plan to do a lot of class capture for, assuming the course description online is still accurate, seems to be largely lecture based. There appear to be only a few labs and they make up very little of the final grade. I've also got the contact info for the professor that teaches it and it was suggested I contact him (I got the impression he usually is the one that advises pregnant students with classes and their new baby). I may do that today. Anyway, my husband's job allows him to work more days from home if he needs to, so as long as I know what days labs will be I should have no trouble attending class, especially since it's only in the morning.

:idea: Ohh, I gotcha.

Yeah. All I can do right now is hope that I don't go into labor before the end of gross anatomy, a few days before my due date. The block immediately following that that I plan to do a lot of class capture for, assuming the course description online is still accurate, seems to be largely lecture based. There appear to be only a few labs and they make up very little of the final grade. I've also got the contact info for the professor that teaches it and it was suggested I contact him (I got the impression he usually is the one that advises pregnant students with classes and their new baby). I may do that today. Anyway, my husband's job allows him to work more days from home if he needs to, so as long as I know what days labs will be I should have no trouble attending class, especially since it's only in the morning.

Why not schedule a c-section or induction? This way you'll know for sure and can plan for it beforehand with your professors (and lab partner).

:eyebrow: Jesus Christ on a bike, are you serious?

Because I've been induced and it sucks and recovering from a C-section is not fun, let alone the fact I won't be allowed to drive for 3 weeks. THAT'LL help. Oh, and my biggest worry is going into labor BEFORE I finish gross anatomy, how will an induction or C-section help that, exactly?

Geekchick, pregnancy guru, I have a random question for you: Just the other day at work a pregnant woman said she shouldn't stand close to running microwave ovens. She went to the other side of the room while nuking her Lean Cuisine. Does this make sense?

Why not schedule a c-section or induction? This way you'll know for sure and can plan for it beforehand with your professors (and lab partner).

Babies have been known to come early. And some women wouldn't want an unnecessary surgery if they could avoid it?

Edit: Should have refreshed. What GeekChick said.

Geekchick, pregnancy guru, I have a random question for you: Just the other day at work a pregnant woman said she shouldn't stand close to running microwave ovens. She went to the other side of the room while nuking her Lean Cuisine. Does this make sense?

LOL! Does this count as medical advice? I had a silly fear of this with Chicklet, too. I don't think it really makes a lick of difference, though.

Eh, like I said, my wife and I have three kids. If it were me, I'd want to schedule it so you could plan. But, hey, whatever. Not my uterus (or medical career). ;)

Clearly not...

And medical career? Seriously? Because my lab partners and I obviously won't match in 4 years because I missed a week or two of class of first year lectures. Damn... nobody ever come down with a bad case of strep or break a leg either, huh?

LOL! Does this count as medical advice? I had a silly fear of this with Chicklet, too. I don't think it really makes a lick of difference, though.

lol, well I'm not pregnant so I hope not. Just curious. Although I can imagine I would let most logic fly out the window when doing anything that could potentially affect my fetus.

lol, well I'm not pregnant so I hope not. Just curious. Although I can imagine I would let most logic fly out the window when doing anything that could potentially affect my fetus.

Spending a few years on mom boards has proven this to be ABSOLUTELY true. The first trimester board provides some of the dumbest questions and most epic lulz out of any board where I've been a regular poster.

How is it that I have found myself using the following phrase so freaking often lately:

What....I don't even....

Well, having a c-section is kind of a big deal; I wouldn't recommend it as a time-saver. That's like telling someone who complains that they are often too busy to eat, "Hey, why don't you just get a feeding tube?" :laugh:

Elective inductions....I've seen some elective inductions go south. It really doesn't always go well. I'm talking about women sitting on L&D for 72 hours straight before finally deciding to go to c-section; babies not doing well during the induction, etc.

Yeah, nothing in medicine is a team effort or anything....I have covered for colleagues during military service, after an injury requiring months off service, during rehab, during research months, and after the death of a child - all male.

OP, I was pregnant in fourth year of residency and then during my first year of attending. Due to problems in the first I took an extended leave of absence and then came back when everything was stable (total of nine months away from training- came back off cycle.) I have had colleagues take just as much vacation as they had coming so as not to get off cycle. Others take a year in between medical school years or between med school and residency. One has taken five years off from practicing. On woman who participates in our mentoring program was pregnant during intern year of surgery. I think she took two weeks off until the stitches came out.

You're right. Getting knocked up and dealing with a death in the family are the EXACT same thing. SO SORRY.

Yeah, nothing in medicine is a team effort or anything....I have covered for colleagues during military service, after an injury requiring months off service, during rehab, during research months, and after the death of a child - all male.

OP, I was pregnant in fourth year of residency and then during my first year of attending. Due to problems in the first I took an extended leave of absence and then came back when everything was stable (total of nine months away from training- came back off cycle.) I have had colleagues take just as much vacation as they had coming so as not to get off cycle. Others take a year in between medical school years or between med school and residency. One has taken five years off from practicing. On woman who participates in our mentoring program was pregnant during intern year of surgery. I think she took two weeks off until the stitches came out.

You're right. Getting knocked up and dealing with a death in the family are the EXACT same thing. SO SORRY.

Women are the ones who have to carry children. Therefore it'll never be "fair."

Your attitude toward women is really scary.

Women are the ones who have to carry children. Therefore it'll never be "fair."

Your attitude toward women is really scary.

It's scary because you're pretending to know what I think based upon very limited information.

All I said is that I'd rather not have to cover for someone that became pregnant during residency. It's a selfish wish, but not nearly as selfish as the woman choosing to be pregnant during residency. I could understand if it wasn't intentional, but a little family planning could relieve co-residents of an unnecessary burden. Residency just seems like a bad time. Why not during med school or after residency? All I'm saying is a little consideration of coworkers would be a good thing.

It's scary because you're pretending to know what I think based upon very limited information.

All I said is that I'd rather not have to cover for someone that became pregnant during residency. It's a selfish wish, but not nearly as selfish as the woman choosing to be pregnant during residency. I could understand if it wasn't intentional, but a little family planning could relieve co-residents of an unnecessary burden. Residency just seems like a bad time. Why not during med school or after residency? All I'm saying is a little consideration of coworkers would be a good thing.

This is freakin' ironic.

What if they didn't get married until residency? What if they have been trying SINCE medical school and now, after years and thousands of dollars of fertility treatments, they're finally having a successful pregnancy? What if their program is 5 or 6 years long, should they put off their family to make YOUR life easier for a few months? What if they're a non-trad and already pushing, or into, advanced maternal age?

Reactions: 2 users

So now your true colors are showing. You'd gladly cover for a buddy with a death in the family but god forbid one of those women they "let" into the program decides to procreate.

To echo your earlier post, and probably every woman on this forum, I hope I never have to work with you.

So now your true colors are showing. You'd gladly cover for a buddy with a death in the family but god forbid one of those women they "let" into the program decides to procreate.

To echo your earlier post, and probably every woman on this forum, I hope I never have to work with you.

Babies? Pfft, who needs 'em. People need to knock that **** off.

Geekchick: A short answer on a forum isn't a one size fits all answer. Extenuating circumstances are extenuating circumstances.

Twentyone: Get a grip on yourself. I'd gladly cover for anyone (male OR female) that had a death in the family. Sexual intercourse isn't an accident.

You two need to relax. You also might want to look into things like condoms, birth control pills, and IUDs. I'd suggest http://www.familyplanning.org/ as a good place to start. I'll let you guys have the last word now since I'm just going to get piled upon by selfish mothers.

+1 ! I only hope he's/she's joking and trying to get a rise out of everyone.
And suggesting a woman take medication ("family planning") or turn to surgury just to unburden her co-workers.....hmmmm. Interesting thoughts for someone in healthcare.

Geekchick: A short answer on a forum isn't a one size fits all answer. Extenuating circumstances are extenuating circumstances.

And would you know them? Probably not. Quick question, kcin. What if you end up fathering a child? Would you take any time off? If not, your SO will love that. And if you do, well, clearly, you're an inconsiderate bastard, by your own designation, right?

Also, newsflash, birth control is not fool proof, even surgical sterilization. :idea:

Twentyone: Get a grip on yourself. I'd gladly cover for anyone (male OR female) that had a death in the family. Sexual intercourse isn't an accident.

So you WOULDN'T gladly cover for a male resident that needs 2 weeks off after breaking his leg in a skiing accident. Or for a male resident that needs a month off after being in a bad car accident because he drove too fast in the rain. Both of those things are completely preventable (don't go skiing; don't drive fast in bad conditions), but result in a resident needing long periods of time off.

Would you be ok with someone telling you, "As a resident, you shouldn't go skiing, shouldn't go hiking, shouldn't go rock climbing, shouldn't go scuba diving, shouldn't go water skiing, shouldn't go camping, because all of these things could result in serious accidents that would keep you out of work for a month"?

Eh.. I think people need to leave kcin alone. He made his opinion known, admitted it was a "selfish wish," and that was that. I don't think there was any personal vendetta or malicious intent toward pregnant residents, per se. He doesn't have to justify his personal preference for less work, as you certainly don't have to justify your timing on having children. As long as kcin doesn't, in the future, make hiring decisions based on this personal preference, we should at least (grudgingly) accept that, if not agree with it.

You two need to relax. You also might want to look into things like condoms, birth control pills, and IUDs. I'd suggest http://www.familyplanning.org/ as a good place to start. I'll let you guys have the last word now since I'm just going to get piled upon by selfish mothers.

Since you're letting me have the last word (what a gentleman!) here it is: Medicine is for grownups. Grownups, from time to time, will have babies. It sounds like you're having a hard time wrapping your head around that- hope you're able to figure it out, chief.