amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
I am a rising 4th year planning to do 2 out-of-state away rotations in the fall. One catch -- I'm 8 weeks pregnant and due in November. Our school year ends in June so I plan to take July off to study for/take Step II and go to my aways in August & September. That will make me 6 and 7 months pregnant during these rotations, respectively.

I'm a fit, active person and I don't think that I will have any difficulty working hard during the rotations, but a nagging worry is that the programs will hold it against me that I am pregnant. Granted, I will have delivered well before intern year starts, and having a baby now hopefully shows PD's that I'm not interested in getting pregnant during early residency, but I'm still worried.

Anyone been in this position or known women who were? The two places that I plan to rotate at are two of my top choices and are quite competitive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
You might try MomMD online.

If you are really interested in these programs, you may do better to not do an away rotation and just interview there after you've given birth. As crappy (and illegal) as it is, people do still make decisions based on factors such as having an infant when you begin residency. On the other hand, would you want to be in a program that was going to be completely unsupportive of you having a child?

The best way to get specific info is to ask the residents in that program who have children. You'll have a great opportunity to do that while rotation there, as well as getting a feel for the program.

You are lucky that when you interview, your baby will have already been born. If you want to make sure it won't be a problem with the specific program, you can always make a point to mention it during the interview. If you do this, though, I would be sure to emphasize how having a baby was well planned out and how you will be managing being a new mother during intern year (ie-who will be helping with child care, etc...)

Good luck. :luck:

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2002
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I agree with the above.

You never know what biases people hold within! Having said that, would you want to really match at a program that holds a pregnancy against you???

My two cents worth: avoid the elective while pregnant and just interview after the delivery.

Good luck with the pregnancy (and upcoming nausea/vomiting :barf::hungover::D) and match!

About the Ads

starayamoskva

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2003
Orlando, FL
www.cristall.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just please take your prenatal records with you. Living/working in Orlando, I can tell you there are damn few things more irritating than someone "just visiting the area" at greater than 5 months gestation showing up in our triage area with the inevitable preterm contractions that come after a day at Disney.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2001
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
First off, congrats! Welcome to the toughest job you'll ever love! Parenthood!

For what it's worth, last year I did my MFM sub-i from 35-39 weeks pregnant with my second baby and got stellar letters and an honors grade. I wrote about my experiences gestating and lactating for the majority of medical school in my personal statement. In addition to the rote "What is your program's greatest strength/weakness?" questions, I made a point to ask about support for female residents with children during my interviews (onsite daycare, pump rooms, back up sick child care) - even pumped during breaks on interview days (and pumped during one interview...but that's an entirely different story really not that all worth explaining). Guess what? I got my #1 choice at a competitive midwest university program. I NEVER felt discriminated against or felt my abilities were doubted at any point during 4th year as a mother or breastfeeder.

Honestly, while I made a point to seek out a supportive program, my work showed more than my belly, so to speak. If you work hard on those rotations, you'll probably earn extra brownie points - I kept hearing how amazing it was on my sub-i that I was taking call, asking to help out extra, taking difficult patients while in my, ahem, condition. I never used my pregnancy, breastfeeding or children as an excuse to dodge out of work. Truth is, I'm not a belly-acher by nature, and pregnant or not, I get my stuff done with a cheerful attitude. That sort of approach matters more than whether or not you're pregnant. (Also, XL scrubs hide the belly pretty well, and even at 39 weeks, sometimes attendings didn't even notice I was pregnant - and I'm not a big girl to start with, anyway!!!)

Also, realize you don't HAVE to do away rotations to secure a competetive spot - I cancelled my two away scheduled rotations so I could have more QT with family. But if you are really hell bent on doing them, go for it! PM me if want more trix of the mommy trade, so to speak!

OP
amy2003uva

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Medical Student
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I was looking for honest opinions and I really appreciate your input.

starayamoskva ~ That is a very good point. I will be sure to bring my prenatal records wherever I go (including on interviews), just in case!

Pinki ~ Thank you for sharing your story! I feel very encouraged after hearing that you never felt discriminated against for being a mother or breastfeeder. I really am "hell bent" on doing away rotations, but I forgot to mention that my husband (who is also a rising 4th year) will be doing away rotations with me, so I'll have that support outside the hospital while away from home. I am sure I will have questions down the road and I will definitely PM you.

Thanks again!

BogglestheMind

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Post Doc
I am a rising 4th year planning to do 2 out-of-state away rotations in the fall. One catch -- I'm 8 weeks pregnant and due in November. Our school year ends in June so I plan to take July off to study for/take Step II and go to my aways in August & September. That will make me 6 and 7 months pregnant during these rotations, respectively.

I'm a fit, active person and I don't think that I will have any difficulty working hard during the rotations, but a nagging worry is that the programs will hold it against me that I am pregnant. Granted, I will have delivered well before intern year starts, and having a baby now hopefully shows PD's that I'm not interested in getting pregnant during early residency, but I'm still worried.

Anyone been in this position or known women who were? The two places that I plan to rotate at are two of my top choices and are quite competitive. Any advice would be appreciated.
I would make sure, if possible that it is not a program that holds it against residents who get pregnant, but in reality I think most programs would be ok with as you obviously won't be pregnant when you start residency. Just remember that you must shine for an away elective to help you where you apply and may in fact hurt your chances if you mess up.

About the Ads