Prelim surg books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yohimbine1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into Rads, upcoming prelim surg year--need book recs please...

Currently looking at:
Washington manual for internship survival
Washington manual for surgery

I saw another similar thread about prelim/TY but I am wondering about surg in particular. I'm not interested in surg I just happened to end up in this prelim and I want to be a capable intern. Sorry in a hurry--thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the recommended books that me and fellow interns in prelim surgery used:
The big ICU book
Greenfield's book or Schwartz's (they're gigantic books)
Fiser's The ABSITE review book
Any anatomy book like Grey's or Netter's is helpful.
Also, "steal" a suturing set and thread and practice one and two hand suturing off various youtube videos.

Going into Rads, upcoming prelim surg year--need book recs please...

Currently looking at:
Washington manual for internship survival
Washington manual for surgery

I saw another similar thread about prelim/TY but I am wondering about surg in particular. I'm not interested in surg I just happened to end up in this prelim and I want to be a capable intern. Sorry in a hurry--thanks all

If you can find a book called "Grab Your Ankles" it's probably a good investment.

'm not interested in surg I just happened to end up in this prelim and I want to be a capable intern.

I think given this, there are a couple of books I would look at. You've listed two of them - The "surgery survival guide" and the washington manual. Another would be the "surgery on call" book from Lange. Deals with common on-call problems and helps you come up with a differential and initial evaluation/plan.

Here are the recommended books that me and fellow interns in prelim surgery used:
The big ICU book
Greenfield's book or Schwartz's (they're gigantic books)
Fiser's The ABSITE review book
Any anatomy book like Grey's or Netter's is helpful.
Also, "steal" a suturing set and thread and practice one and two hand suturing off various youtube videos.

If you are a prelim intern going into radiology next year, anything like Greenfield/Schwartz/Sabiston is major major overkill. I would maybe consider looking at some of the early chapters on pre- and post- op care and complications, as well as on fluids, electrolytes, nutrition. But beyond that I think trying to plow through one of those texts would be a big waste of time.

A med school level anatomy atlas is going to be of similarly little utility. A rads designated prelim probably won't be in the OR much unless they have a particular desire to be there. I would focus if anything on CXR and CT-body anatomy (maybe a basic radiology textbook), especially given the future career as a radiologist.

If you have to take the ABSITE and get a minimum score, definitely get one of the absite review books.