Premed committee interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I prepare for this? When I first signed up for the interview I had to answer a bunch of questions with short essays so I'm guessing they already have a good idea of what kind of applicant I am. Not really sure what else they can ask that wasn't already in the Q&A they had us fill out, but I'm not sure if the interviewer has access to that document. The interviewer is a fourth-year med student. Anyone go through one of these before?

I'm also a little worried because I wasn't premed in college (only realized it at the very end of college), so they committee won't know me.

Members don't see this ad.

How do I prepare for this? When I first signed up for the interview I had to answer a bunch of questions with short essays so I'm guessing they already have a good idea of what kind of applicant I am. Not really sure what else they can ask that wasn't already in the Q&A they had us fill out, but I'm not sure if the interviewer has access to that document. The interviewer is a fourth-year med student. Anyone go through one of these before?

I'm also a little worried because I wasn't premed in college (only realized it at the very end of college), so they committee won't know me.

Pretty much everything is on the table. Currently, they're not supposed to know you; that's why you're having this interview, to show them what the hell they should write about in your letter and give you some sort of an idea what a real medical school interview is like.

Be prepared to discuss ethics, the U.S. health care system, strengths and weaknesses of your application, and your reasons for pursuing medicine.

Just don't be arrogant. They are interviewing you in order to have a "feel" for you since they'll be writing a rec letter for you, and they want to be able to say you're a great fit for medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much everything is on the table. Currently, they're not supposed to know you; that's why you're having this interview, to show them what the hell they should write about in your letter and give you some sort of an idea what a real medical school interview is like.

Be prepared to discuss ethics, the U.S. health care system, strengths and weaknesses of your application, and your reasons for pursuing medicine.

Oh man am I really going to have to discuss the state of the U.S. health care system? I'm not all too familiar with it. :(

Oh man am I really going to have to discuss the state of the U.S. health care system? I'm not all too familiar with it. :(

Maybe. I can't tell you what your med school committee will ask you about, but I definitely have to advise you to be prepared for questions about it. You'll likely get asked these questions at actual medical school interviews as well. You don't have to be an expert, but you do have to have rudimentary knowledge of "Obamacare" and the way our health system works now.

My interviewer asked me about the health care system, and I didn't really know what to say. :( omg it was horrible...

Maybe. I can't tell you what your med school committee will ask you about, but I definitely have to advise you to be prepared for questions about it. You'll likely get asked these questions at actual medical school interviews as well. You don't have to be an expert, but you do have to have rudimentary knowledge of "Obamacare" and the way our health system works now.

When you get sick, first you are handed a ration ticket for an audience with a Death Panel, and then if they deem you worthy you can see a Socialized Government Doctor in 48 months. Unless you are an illegal Mexican immigrant, in which case you are bumped to the front of the line, and an ACORN employee will sign you up for the Welfare-For-Life program.

Nailed it?

When you get sick, first you are handed a ration ticket for an audience with a Death Panel, and then if they deem you worthy you can see a Socialized Government Doctor in 48 months. Unless you are an illegal Mexican immigrant, in which case you are bumped to the front of the line, and an ACORN employee will sign you up for the Welfare-For-Life program.

Nailed it?

Snake handlers, all of you.

I just had my committee interview this morning, and it was by far the most relaxed interview I've ever had. Most of the questions were about the activities listed on my application, with a few random ones like "what is your biggest weakness?" and "what has been your most rewarding experience?". There was one question about medical ethics, but it wasn't a big deal.

I'm sure not all committees are the same, but for the most part, they're just looking for nice stuff to write about you in their committee letter. As far as preparation goes, you'll probably be fine if you just read over your personal statement, and whatever activities you plan on listing on your applications. The important part is being able to say what you got out of each one.

Also, this may be the time to ask what some of the strengths and weaknesses of your application are, so you can fix them before you fill out your primary.

My own pre-med committee interview was asked questions similar to what was in my med school interview. In-fact to prepare for my pre-med committe interview I had just browsed some med school interview questions on google a hour or two before.

Prepare for it like it was a med school interview. But the pressure isn't there.