Premed to CRNA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justlive1998

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a biology/pre-med sophomore and my question is if we do not get accepted to medical school, can we apply to other schools such as dental, pharmacy ans even nursing even if we were pre-med majors?

Members don't see this ad.

for the most part. Each health professional school may require something the other may not. Seems like anatomy+lab is a must for nursing/PA yet medical and (some) dental schools don't require it.

Each school has their own set of pre-reqs and each has their own entrance exam. Even individual programs will vary so you'll have to do some research. Getting your bio degree will cover some but not all pre-reqs for the graduatw programs. You would want to change your major if you decide on nursing.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you take the prereqs for those programs, sure. Take a look at what those are, and fit them in with your pre med classes before you graduate if you're worried about your backup plan.

I wonder if you're aware that you can't just apply straight off to CRNA school. They require you do nursing, then work as a nurse, have ICU experience and then do 3 years of CRNA. There are some trying to do away with ICU experience but if you're job is taking care of OR patients, managing drips and lines, which is like ICU on steroids not having ICU experience is a detriment. I wouldn't want to supervise any new CRNA coming out without any ICU experience.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some trying to do away with ICU experience...
Really? Which ones?

Just curious. The local CRNA programs here have so many dang applicants every year that this would never happen in my area... wouldn't need to. They could fill their classes several times over every year even if they required five or more years of experience.

Yeah you can, but dental school is looking for people who want to be dentists, not people who didn't get into medical school. PA programs, CRNA programs, pharmacy programs etc... all have their own prerequisites. Some of the CRNA prereqs have been highlighted here, PA schools generally require thousands of patient contact hours to apply. And dental schools, like medical schools, like people who were involved in things that say "Hey, I want to be a dentist"

Another thing, OP, other professional schools will take your IA just as seriously...

Reactions: 4 users
Make another thread asking about options eh?
Dental school and pharmacy school want people who want to be in those fields.
If you’re going to do nursing switch your major now because you need your bachelors in it.

You have got to get over this apply in junior year nonsense. Take a gap year and get your life together.
How you didn’t know taking phrases from someone else’s report is plagiarism boggles my mind.

Reactions: 3 users
Make another thread asking about options eh?
Dental school and pharmacy school want people who want to be in those fields.
If you’re going to do nursing switch your major now because you need your bachelors in it.

You have got to get over this apply in junior year nonsense. Take a gap year and get your life together.
How you didn’t know taking phrases from someone else’s report is plagiarism boggles my mind.
I will have to take a gap year anyways I ubderstand that and if you read my original post then you would know that I do know its plagarism but Unfortunately i'm a human being and I made a mistake because I was so frustrated with the class. If i did not know it was plagarism then I would gave denied the accusations against me but I did accept them and truly regret what I have done. At this point I would really like support instead of you belittling me because I have a lot of that coming my way in the future.

I will have to take a gap year anyways I ubderstand that and if you read my original post then you would know that I do know its plagarism but Unfortunately i'm a human being and I made a mistake because I was so frustrated with the class. If i did not know it was plagarism then I would gave denied the accusations against me but I did accept them and truly regret what I have done. At this point I would really like support instead of you belittling me because I have a lot of that coming my way in the future.
I’m not belittling you, I just don’t sugar coat things. In your other thread you consistently mentioned you were applying your junior year, you didn’t seem to be looking at gap year. I’m glad that tune has changed.

Reactions: 2 users
You can look into becoming a CAA... It's my back up plan as of the moment and your typical biology major will get you all the prereq's needed to apply. Plus its only a 2 year program. I feel its better than the nursing CRNA route because you dont' have to work for 2-3 years to apply and you basically do the exact same job. Only major drawback is that you can currently work in only 17-18 states (nice ones though) and hopefully that number is growing.

FAQs (heres more info if you want)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can look into becoming a CAA... It's my back up plan as of the moment and your typical biology major will get you all the prereq's needed to apply. Plus its only a 2 year program. I feel its better than the nursing CRNA route because you dont' have to work for 2-3 years to apply and you basically do the exact same job. Only major drawback is that you can currently work in only 17-18 states (nice ones though) and hopefully that number is growing.
Thanks and this might seem like a dumb question but are AAs and CAAs the same thing?

(heres more info if you want)
Also do you know whixh states they are?

Hi I'm a biology/pre-med sophomore and my question is if we do not get accepted to medical school, can we apply to other schools such as dental, pharmacy ans even nursing even if we were pre-med majors?

Consider AA - since you were wanting CRNA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also do you know whixh states they are?

Click on the FAQs link i posted at the end of the my reply. Everything you need to know will be there, including each school and their requirements

and yeah I believe they are the same thing. Certified Anesthesiology Assistant and Anesthesiology Assistant. I've seen it written both ways.

I wonder why no one ever asks if they can apply to perfusionist school after failing to gain entrance into medical school? It seems by far the most bang for the buck :D

Aren't there only like a handful of programs and each accept like 8 people per class?

Aren't there only like a handful of programs and each accept like 8 people per class?

I was curious so I looked. It seems there are about 19 programs and just under 200 students. It seems the program can run anywhere from 12 - 24 months and can be completed for as little as $18K. Looks like min GPA requirements are 2.75 and there seemed to be no standardized test required for entry. I don't know what their working hrs are like but the salary looks comparable to Pharm/PA. I guess if you bombed the MCAT but had a high GPA, it might be a good way to turn a worthless bio degree into something that actually made a decent living in 12 months :D

Reactions: 1 users
I was curious so I looked. It seems there are about 19 programs and just under 200 students. It seems the program can run anywhere from 12 - 24 months and can be completed for as little as $18K. Looks like min GPA requirements are 2.75 and there seemed to be no standardized test required for entry. I don't know what their working hrs are like but the salary looks comparable to Pharm/PA. I guess if you bombed the MCAT but had a high GPA, it might be a good way to turn a worthless bio degree into something that actually made a decent living in 12 months :D
Do you know what major you need to have to get in? Will a major in biology/cell and molecular suffice for the program?

Do you know what major you need to have to get in? Will a major in biology/cell and molecular suffice for the program?

This is where I pulled all my stats from, but it looks like most schools just want a bachelors in bio: Perfusion Training Programs. I can imagine they are actually probably really competitive to get into, but for someone interested in being in medicine that can't stomach the idea of 7+ years of post graduate training before having any real income and being 300K in debt, it might be a viable alternative for someone with a good GPA.

This is where I pulled all my stats from, but it looks like most schools just want a bachelors in bio: I can imagine they are actually probably really competitive to get into, but for someone interested in being in medicine that can't stomach the idea of 7+ years of post graduate training before having any real income and being 300K in debt, it might be a viable alternative for someone with a good GPA.
I'm interested in this as a plan B but i'm kind of confused because for most of the programs it says you need 6 hours of anatomy and physiology but at my school "pre-meds aren't recommended" to take the class so idk if we aren't allowed or if we just don't need to take it for med school. I'll have to look into it.

I'm interested in this as a plan B but i'm kind of confused because for most of the programs it says you need 6 hours of anatomy and physiology but at my school "pre-meds aren't recommended" to take the class so idk if we aren't allowed or if we just don't need to take it for med school. I'll have to look into it.

For many undergraduate programs, A+P is one of several possible freshman/sophmore level bio courses that can be used to fill core requisites of a bio degree. However, it is not extremely practical for premeds b/c for one thing, 3+ years will have elapsed by the time you take A+P in med school, so you probably won't retain much. Also, the A+P programs are often way overkill for the amount of A+P you will face on the MCAT.

For many undergraduate programs, A+P is one of several possible freshman/sophmore level bio courses that can be used to fill core requisites of a bio degree. However, it is not extremely practical for premeds b/c for one thing, 3+ years will have elapsed by the time you take A+P in med school, so you probably won't retain much. Also, the A+P programs are often way overkill for the amount of A+P you will face on the MCAT.
Thanks, i'll probably take it in the summer for my plan B since both CAA and perfusion programs require it and it couldn't hurt to take it too for the MCAT.