1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Prep books for self studying

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by milktea475, Jul 9, 2018.

1. milktea475

hi guys

Because of my school’s pre req requirements for taking biochemistry and physics, I have no choice but to self-teach myself physics and biochemistry before taking mcat.

What prep books do you guys think would work the best for the first time learner?

I want to finish learning new materials over the winter so that I can study mcat overall next spring and take mcat over the summer.

I am hesitant on getting tbr because i heard that tbr is very lengthy and in depth so can be overwhelming.
    I’m a slow reader so I do not want to waste my time learning extra stuff.. however, at the same time I want to build strong basic understanding.

Is tbr suitable for ppl who takes a long time to read?

What other prep book did you guys most benefited from?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MCATKINGS

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    If you are able to look at a friends books and see what works for your learning style that would be ideal. TBR also has sample passages from each book on their website and lots of information about their books. Finding something that is manageable for you time wise and your learning style is critical in you enjoying the process.

For a first time learner - I would recommend something thorough (not meant to be a review) and a supplement of a video resource from a different angle (khan academy). I think the combo can really be beneficial. You should find questions to reinforce your knowledge during and after your content review and you should tackle these self-teach subjects first.

TBR is "lengthy" because of the passages/explanations - the actual content is not that long. The passages/problem solving also take the majority of the time.

I personally used Khan academy to great success and felt like I was able to go from 0---> 100 very quickly in things I didn't understand/had no exposure too. For subjects that you have no clue about - and if you are slow at reading - this is a strategy you should employ.

I will let others comment on the different resources and on TBR.

milktea475 likes this.
  4. PlsLetMeIn21

Pre-Medical
    I am using TBR for all of the sciences, EK and TPR for CARS, and TPR for pysch/soc. After looking at everything I could, talking to my big sib and her friends, and reading endless posts at SDN and reddit I settled on that combination. I am so glad I did. I looked at what people who scored really well (> 520) used and saw that for them it was pretty much anything worked. I looked at the 510-520 range and found this combination of books to be the most common. I also looked at 490-500 and decided to avoid those materials.

I'm almost done with the book portion of my review and I couldn't be any happier. This was by far the best choice for me. As MCATKings says, TBR books are big because they have great explanations that leave nothing to chance. They tell you both what is right and why the three wrong answers are wrong. They have crazy good shortcuts. I don't recommend them for CARS or Psych/Soc, but they have been amazing for chemistry, organic, physics, and biology.

milktea475 likes this.
  5. Blanky

Pre-Medical
    You do have a choice. You can take the courses and then take the MCAT.

frosted2 likes this.
  6. Blitzman

I'm not an incredibly fast reader and I used the Princeton Review for content review. I also supplemented it with ExamKrackers for CARS and NextStep for Psych/Soc! These books really helped me improve my score from my first practice test!

7. Swagster

Pre-Medical
    It's not even a contest. I took the old MCAT, did well, but unfortunately my scores expired before I applied. I took the new MCAT with no psychology or sociology background and a couple years removed from the sciences. TBR was by far and away the best books out there. Great tricks and great questions.