prep for August...where to start???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jatroswellpk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone....few days ago, I decided to go for the application process this year and take the Aug mcat...

the million dolla question is.....Where Do I begin? in terms of review books? approach? perhaps signup for the course? :confused:

please help~....N e 1???

Members don't see this ad.

Get some examkrackers and maybe Kaplan stuff. I also have the 1001 series (examkrackers) which I am working through as I finish each lecture. It is taking me approximately 1 1/2 days to get through each lecture but I think its worth it cuz as you review you also burn the concepts into your brain. So far the only thing I am having trouble with is the Gen Chem stuff. I am quickly realizing that somehow I did well in the class without really understanding the concepts. From what I have seen so far, the MCAT is HUGE on concepts. If anybody has any words of wisdom about chem lemme know. As it gets closer to exam time I will try to take 2 practice tests a week--probably starting a month out. Also unless you are a verbal wizard, I would suggest doing a full length practice verbal exam at least twice a week.

Good luck and study hard!;)

I don't know if this is a good plan, but I started my MCAT studying last week and made up my own study plan, tailored to my tastes. :)

I'm taking my first full length practice test today, as kind of a starting point to compare later scores to.

I plan to study a different topic every day of the week (M-F).

Monday: Verbal (practice passages & questions), Math (practice problems, techniques for quick mental math)
Tuesday: Biology & O-chem (review concepts, practice problems)
Wednesday: Physics (learn, optics, waves, and fluids, review concepts, practice problems)
Thursday: Gen chem. (review concepts, practice problems)
Friday: Writing Sample, Read 1 journal article and summarize it.

I'm doing the journal article thing to get used to reading and understanding intense scientific writing. I have alot of reading to do to prepare for a research project in the fall anyway, so it works out.

I'm using a bunch of different review books and making concept notecards from old class notes and texts.

I plan to do 4 FL practice tests total (straight through, timed). Today, mid-June, mid-July, and the first week of August.

Hopefully, my plan is a good one. :D

Of course, this will all be done in the early a.m. and late at night, since I'm working 40 hrs/wk.

Thundrstorm, when are you taking the MCAT? Lil pook, how far ahead of the MCAT did you start studying?

raDiOnut :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I started studying the first week in May, but I am also doing full time (40+ hrs/week) research this summer starting June 2. So instead of having the whole summer to study, I kind of dont.

That is not to say you will need the same amount of time to study as I do. I feel the need for this much time, cuz as I mentioned above, somehow I managed to skate through gen chem by plugging and chugging without ever having really learned concepts like thermodynamics and solutions. I am chalking it up to a crappy teacher at a state university, but now I am paying the price. Hopefully, you had a better learning experience then me.

If anybody knows of any good gen.chem review books that explain concepts really well, let me know. Examkrackers is very condensed and from what I see from my scores on the practice tests in the back, I am still somewhat lost.

Get the MCAT syllabus and see how much of the stuff you've covered (or at least recognize). Go through the MCAT announcement and try their sample questions, to assess where you're at right now. Based on this, you can then figure out how much time and preparation you'll need.. AAMC tests and a prep book are a good idea to obtain.. taking a course is optional- only if you feel you need it.

Originally posted by Lactic Folly
Get the MCAT syllabus and see how much of the stuff you've covered (or at least recognize).

Where did you find a MCAT Syllabus? Is it on the AAMC pages?

could you post a link? Thanks! I would love to see the topics in a nice conscise list!

*Soleil*

Before you plunk down the big $ for a course, you need to have an idea where you stand. I am a big fan of downloading the free AAMC III from their web site, printing it out, doing it fully timed as if it were a real MCAT, essay and all. Then go back to the web site, type in your answers, and see how you did. If you score under 30, consider a prep course. If you score over 35, you can probably review on your own.

Also start thinking about how disciplined and motivated you are, and how you learn best - reading? listening? seeing? doing? If you sign up for a course, what do you need from that course?