Preparation before school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFizition

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand that bringing this topic up is essentially beating a dead horse, but I would like some fresh inputs anyway. I have 9-10 months between now and medical school and, aside from working part time, I don't have much going on.

Based on the previous threads I have read, I completely get that studying anatomy/physiology hardcore before medical school is not beneficial at all. But is there any sort of preparation you current/former med students recommend? Maybe reviewing specific concepts, reading specific books, watching specific movies, working on certain study or lifestyle habits?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not in med school yet, but if I were you, I would spend 5 months working full time, then spend your 5 months before med school traveling.
I have been on SDN for quite some time, and I don't think I have ever seen anyone recommend ANY kind of pre-studying of any kind.
And congrats on your acceptance!!

What I'm trying to do is get my personal life in order during this downtime. Like I'm trying to get healthy, exercising, eating well, getting good sleep. And then I'm doing fun stuff that I might not have time for in med school. Plus I'm learning Spanish. I've got the rest of my life to study anatomy and physiology. I figure if I develop all these good habits now, it'll be easier to keep a balance between work and personal life once school starts (assuming I get an acceptance this cycle.)

Reactions: 1 user
So I understand that bringing this topic up is essentially beating a dead horse, but I would like some fresh inputs anyway. I have 9-10 months between now and medical school and, aside from working part time, I don't have much going on.

Based on the previous threads I have read, I completely get that studying anatomy/physiology hardcore before medical school is not beneficial at all. But is there any sort of preparation you current/former med students recommend? Maybe reviewing specific concepts, reading specific books, watching specific movies, working on certain study or lifestyle habits?

Thanks! :)

There is no reason to do anything academic in preparation for medical school. You should do things that you enjoy doing.

Reactions: 1 users