prepharmacy requirements at different schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charmi87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am wondering how can you finish all the pre-pharma requirements if you wish to apply so many colleges. and if i apply just few then, what if i dont get in?

Given that I took
General bio 1 and 2; english 1 and 2; psychology; critical thinking, public speaking, Calculus 1 and 2; western civil 2(didnt take 1); spanish 1

I am taking General chem 1 and 2 in summer.

I think i have to take: organic chem 1 and 2; physics 1 and 2; statistics; economics; anat and physio 1 and 2.

am i leaving anyother classes for prepharma....

plz help......

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I am wondering how can you finish all the pre-pharma requirements if you wish to apply so many colleges. and if i apply just few then, what if i dont get in?

Given that I took
General bio 1 and 2; english 1 and 2; psychology; critical thinking, public speaking, Calculus 1 and 2; western civil 2(didnt take 1); spanish 1

I think i have to take: organic chem 1 and 2; physics 1 and 2; statistics; economics; anat and physio 1 and 2.

plz help......

thanks

Some schools require microbiology. Some Biochemistry. Biochemistry still not a requirement for most schools last I checked, but micro is becoming required at more and more schools. USC requires interpersonal communication, but I don't know if anyone else does.

Hi

Given that I took

plz help......

thanks

I had to go to each school's website that I was applying to and look this info up for myself. You should too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

Given that I took

plz help......

thanks

I know some colleges require 1 biochem class.

Hi

Given that I took

plz help......

thanks

Don't forget there are other requirements that will prevent you from getting further in the interview process as well. Some schools require at least one LOR from a pharmacist. If you don't know one, you'll want to get to know one if you plan on applying to one of those schools. Also don't forget to register for the PCAT if you plan on attending a school that requires it.

I am having the same problem!!!!

there are an insane amount of pre-reqs if you want to apply to a lot of schools. it really sucks because I don't have the time to both finish my degree and finish pre-reqs for everything, especially classes like human anatomy and physiology, which are nursing courses in my school!

I think the best approach is to make a list of all the schools you like and that you have a good chance of getting into, and focus on their pre-reqs instead of just making a huge list of lots of schools to maximize chance of getting in. I don't know though.

Good luck!:cool:

Definately just check each school online. I know WSU is requiring a slew of stuff next year like biochem, immunology, and genetics or molecular biology. So, lots to prepare for. :)

After applying to 13, I realized how futile it was to write so many essays; therefore I didn't finish the supplementals on half of them because I knew that I wouldn't go many of the schools anyways and/or I'd have to take a ton of summer school courses (not that I'm doing that prior to matriculation anyways).

Its good to take biochem cuz you end up taking it (or something very similar to it) in pharm school so it'll be good background.

Some colleges want Anatomy. I know U Mich has Genetics as a pre-req.

I just look at the USC pre-reqs and try to fulfill all of them. Some science majors use the pre-reqs as part of the degree so it shouldnt be too hard unless you are not a science major.

Definately just check each school online. I know WSU is requiring a slew of stuff next year like biochem, immunology, and genetics or molecular biology. So, lots to prepare for. :)

Auburn has also already added these four classes to their list of prereqs. I expect that other schools will be making the transition soon, too...

I agree that the best thing to do is call or visit each school's website so that you know exactly what they require.