Prereqs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olsen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for you senior members.

Most medical schools have prereqs. Like 8 credit hours of Organic etc...Do you have to have all of your prereqs. completed before you apply or can you apply if you plan on taking them in the time between?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that they like to see them done when you apply, so they can see how you did in them. I have also heard that as long as you will have completed them before you matriculate, then it's ok. I'd try to have them done, but I don't know what your situation is.

Good luck. Others who have actually been there before could answer you better than me, though.

Ditto on what Jamier2 said.... you don't need to have finished them already but do require you to finish them before matriculating at that school.... Later :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
i contacted a couple of schools on this matter........For example, I am missing one class out of all the pre-reqs but am taking it in the fall during the application process. I asked the admissions office if this would negatively affect my application and competitiveness, and they all said "Absolutely not." The pre-reqs have to completed prior to matriculation though. Having more than 1 or 2 classes not taken though might be much more of a liability.

just my guess though.

later

Having more than 1 or 2 classes not taken though might be much more of a liability

I hope not! I haven't taken any organic, physics, or the second part of chem, but I intent to apply for 2002. I take the MCAT this august though (I've studied on my own quite a bit for it and won't take it if my practice exams are substandard), and if I do well, I hope they take it into consideration. I will have the classes completed by summer though.