prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kermit12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a question...

I don't have my physics 1 prerequisite, but several schools I contacted said I could substitute another course for it. But I'm worried that once I apply they'll see I don't have physics and chuck my application. Do I have to attach a note or something to remind them of the substitution? How does that work? Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

That does sound odd that they would substitute a course for a pre-req... But - if they are, then all you need to do is contact them to ensure its kosher. If, after the conversation you are still nervous, you can include a formal letter explaining it with you application. In the letter, you should include that you contacted said college, and that so and so said it was fine.

Open communication with a school is a key factor in letting them know you are interested.

~above~

Here's a question...

I don't have my physics 1 prerequisite, but several schools I contacted said I could substitute another course for it. But I'm worried that once I apply they'll see I don't have physics and chuck my application. Do I have to attach a note or something to remind them of the substitution? How does that work? Help!!

I think this will cause a few problems. First, what are they saying you can substitute it with. Are we talking substituting Intro to physics or Health Sciences physics (usually not calculus based) for a calc-based physics requirement. If so the substitution is probably fairly uniform across the schools you're applying to. If one school says you can replace it with class X, school two says use class Y and school three says use class Z, then substitution won't be very feasible if you want to be considered for all the schools you've applied to.

Secondly, in addition to having the name of the person who said substitution is allowable, also record the date, time, and method of conversation. (specifically for email or phone conversations.) If this authorization was given in a face to face discussion, record date and location. You may not need it, but you can guarantee if they need it and you don't have it you're SOL.

I would definitely remind them. I had two classes approved for substitution about a year ago for a school, and I emailed the school to remind them after I submitted my supplemental app. They emailed me back and said they would attach it to my file. Soon after, I got one of those "prerequisite lists" showing all of my courses approved for their requirements, so I'm definitely thinking that it helped them get on with reviewing my file. Just because you talked to one person about the class, it doesn't mean the rest of the adcom knows about that. It will definitely help speed your review along. Good luck! :luck: