Priest and Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatholicThinker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a Catholic who has felt a calling to the priesthood fairly recently. However, at the same time, I have had a strong interest in medicine for a while. I have been looking into religious communities like the Jesuits and Camillians, who are known to have practicing doctors within their ranks. I have also thought about becoming a medical missionary, but I do not know if that is for me. I asked my priest if it would be overwhelming to be both a priest and a physician, and he said, "no." However, I know that if I do both, I will be in and out of school until I am about 40, particularily if I join the Jesuits. Even though I love medicine, I am wondering if I would really be worth it to go to medical school when I know that I almost certainly called to the priesthood. I realize that if I am to practice medicine, I will probably not have time to say Mass, hear confessions, or the like. Yet, the same goes for being a priest in academia. I am curious as to others' opinions upon this and would be grateful for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

In both cases, you'd be helping out people. Either physically or spiritually; it's up to you to decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I am a Catholic who has felt a calling to the priesthood fairly recently. However, at the same time, I have had a strong interest in medicine for a while. I have been looking into religious communities like the Jesuits and Camillians, who are known to have practicing doctors within their ranks. I have also thought about becoming a medical missionary, but I do not know if that is for me. I asked my priest if it would be overwhelming to be both a priest and a physician, and he said, "no." However, I know that if I do both, I will be in and out of school until I am about 40, particularily if I join the Jesuits. Even though I love medicine, I am wondering if I would really be worth it to go to medical school when I know that I almost certainly called to the priesthood. I realize that if I am to practice medicine, I will probably not have time to say Mass, hear confessions, or the like. Yet, the same goes for being a priest in academia. I am curious as to others' opinions upon this and would be grateful for any replies.

It can be done.
http://www.hds.harvard.edu/afa/meet_students/student_profiles/mckay.html

That young man attends harvards medical school and is also working on a master of theology degree from Harvard divinity school.

Now I will admit I am ignorant of the fine details that separate the major religions, and I think he is a christian instead of a Catholic but if you want to do it, medicine wont stop you.

I would guess you might run into problems is in the fact that medical students (and successful doctors) need, for the most part, to be able to think critically and harbor a [leader] like mentality in contrast to the [follow the leader] nature of organized religion that is going to destroy the things that religion builds on.

Ask yourself, do you really want a doctor who honestly believes there is a man floating in outer space (exaggeration I know), or that the life story of the man who died for our sins is only coincidentally identical to the story of Horus, the son of god who [lived] in 25th century BC....

People get away with it [ignorantly following the word of a fairy tail] now, beacuase so many people, drink the metaphorical cool-aid and there are enough people on both sides of the spectrum that it really doesn't matter what is right.

I don't really want to go back through that and fix my typos but whatever.

It can be done. You can mix religion and medicine.

It can be done.

That young man attends harvards medical school and is also working on a master of theology degree from Harvard divinity school.

Now I will admit I am ignorant of the fine details that separate the major religions, and I think he is a christian instead of a Catholic but if you want to do it, medicine wont stop you.

I would guess you might run into problems is in the fact that medical students (and successful doctors) need, for the most part, to be able to think critically and harbor a [leader] like mentality in contrast to the [follow the leader] nature of organized religion that is going to destroy the things that religion builds on.

Ask yourself, do you really want a doctor who honestly believes there is a man floating in outer space (exaggeration I know), or that the life story of the man who died for our sins is only coincidentally identical to the story of Horus, the son of god who [lived] in 25th century BC....

People get away with it [ignorantly following the word of a fairy tail] now, beacuase so many people, drink the metaphorical cool-aid and there are enough people on both sides of the spectrum that it really doesn't matter what is right.

You seem to be assuming that if someone becomes a priest, they automatically become intolerant of other religions. Frankly, I don't really give a damn what my doctor believes, or does when he's off work, as long as he is a good doctor.

It can be done.

Wow, that was helpful and really profound. Thanks for your input.

It can be done....

The pre-med advisor at University of Notre Dame is a very nice gentleman who is both a priest (Holy Cross) and an MD. I don't know if he practices medicine any more (not that he's too old, just that he seems to have been assigned to look after pre-professional students)

Another is a dean at Loyola med school. Here's something about his career path:
http://dartmed.dartmouth.edu/winter00/html/alumni_album.shtml

Here's another story about him that mentions that there are 25 Jesuit physicians in the US (Jesuits are a group of priests belonging to a "order" or group that follows the spiritual path of St. Ignatius Loyola, a 16th century priest)
http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2006/08/jesuit-priest-physician-rock-star.html

He gives the best homilies! (A lot of references to the medical field) He doesn't practice any more, he's busy with his other duties.

He gives the best homilies! (A lot of references to the medical field) He doesn't practice any more, he's busy with his other duties.

Homilies = sermons for those of you who aren't familiar with Catholic lingo... I guess this means that he has time to say Mass, eh?

We met at a dog & pony show for pre-med advisors and he was a very pleasant dinner guest.

We have priests living in our dorms, and he lives in ours. He says mass every four weeks or so. (Saying the mass is one of his Priestly duties) My favorite quote from him is "Med schools want God, but they'll have to settle with you".

I know one resident who is both a nun and a doctor

She wears a white coat over her nun costume. It looks a bit odd, but shes very nice.

If you ended up entering the novitiate with the Jesuits, I'm sure they'd be entirely fine with the idea, even if you felt your calling was ultimately to enter the priesthood. To the Jesuits, priesthood itself isn't necessary it's just a useful method by which to further their work, as is the focus on education. It probably wouldn't even delay the path to priesthood that much because the Jesuits usually have you spend a significant amount of time pursuing degrees and learning anyway.

Timeframe shouldn't really be a major concern in this if you're already looking at the Jesuits. Entry to ordination can be 14 years.

You might want to talk to an actual Jesuit about this. You might be a working physician for a significant part of the time that your are training to be a Jesuit.

BTW how do finances work for this? Do they accept responsibility for your student dept, or are you responsible for paying it off before you start, or what is the deal?

I know one resident who is both a nun and a doctor

She wears a white coat over her nun costume. It looks a bit odd, but shes very nice.

Sister, technically. Nuns live cloistered lives and don't interact with the outside world. Sisters are the ones you see interacting with the community.

Also a 'nun costume' is called a habit.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Homilies = sermons for those of you who aren't familiar with Catholic lingo... I guess this means that he has time to say Mass, eh?

We met at a dog & pony show for pre-med advisors and he was a very pleasant dinner guest.
He sounds like an interesting man. Does he celebrate Mass upon a regular basis?

Last edited:
He sounds like an interesting man. Does he Mass upon a regular basis?

Perth Domer knows him (see above) and might be able to give you Father's name & contact info by PM (maybe you could email Father and ask for more information about being a MD/priest). Perth Domer says Father celebrates Mass in the dorm once a month but I'd bet he celebrates more often (perhaps daily) but at least weekly. Some priests have a little "side job" helping with Sunday masses at a parish or offering mass at a convent, etc. that students might not know about.

You might want to talk to an actual Jesuit about this. You might be a working physician for a significant part of the time that your are training to be a Jesuit.

BTW how do finances work for this? Do they accept responsibility for your student dept, or are you responsible for paying it off before you start, or what is the deal?
All right. As for finances, I mentioned the possibility of attending law school(that is, before joining the Society of Jesus) to a Jesuit, and he seems to have no problem with it. Perhaps because of all of the schools that they own, the Jesuits seem to be one of the wealthier orders. I think that they, among others help you with loan-repayment. Some orders, like at least one of the Dominican province, place a cap upon the allowed debt of applicants. In addition, many communities do not have the resources to actually send one of their members to medical school. For instance, one priest whose order has doctors and nurses suggested that I go through medical school and residency before trying to enter his particular order.

Perth Domer knows him (see above) and might be able to give you Father's name & contact info by PM (maybe you could email Father and ask for more information about being a MD/priest). Perth Domer says Father celebrates Mass in the dorm once a month but I'd bet he celebrates more often (perhaps daily) but at least weekly. Some priests have a little "side job" helping with Sunday masses at a parish or offering mass at a convent, etc. that students might not know about.
Thank you.

We have priests living in our dorms, and he lives in ours. He says mass every four weeks or so. (Saying the mass is one of his Priestly duties) My favorite quote from him is "Med schools want God, but they'll have to settle with you".

I don't know what it is about priests, but they can have a great sense of humor (my family is Catholic, although I am not anymore).

Traditionally priests have been some of the "most educated" people around. They often acted as a doctor is some ways, mainly psychologically. Couple that with the fact that a lot of hospitals follow the Catholic format and traditions, and I think that it is possible for sure. It sounds like what it will come down to is your willingness to put in the time to do both. I don't know how long it takes to become a priest, but if I remember right it takes quite a long time. Your are right that when you are going through school and residency it will be hard to give the church your full attention, but hopefully they will understand.

It can be done.

Thank you so much for being tolerant of my belief in a man floating in space, and allowing me to practice medicine as well as drink the proverbial kool-aid.

What a colossal prick.

OP, I am not catholic, but I am religious.

Obviously, if you want to do both, it is possible, and I am sure others have done it. Still, it will take a very long time, and you will not be able to fully devote yourself to both.

If it was me, I would choose one and go with it.

Another thing. I know they have gotten bad press thanks to Dan Brown's pile of toilet paper, but I have been impressed with the principle behind Opus Dei, in that ordinary people (non-clergy) can lead holy lives. You may know more about them than I do, and even if you are not interested in the organization, I am sure you can see the truth in the principle.

Just because you are a doctor, does not mean you have to give up living a spiritual life, or that you won't be serving God.

Another thing. I know they have gotten bad press thanks to Dan Brown's pile of toilet paper, but I have been impressed with the principle behind Opus Dei, in that ordinary people (non-clergy) can lead holy lives. You may know more about them than I do, and even if you are not interested in the organization, I am sure you can see the truth in the principle.
Actually, I have thought about joining Opus Dei as a numerary or associate(both are celibate but the former live in religious houses). However, I do not know if I could live up to all of the oblgations, such as wearing a hairshirt for 2 hours a day. Even so, I think that it is a good institution, and I admire their principles. As for the Jesuits, whom I have mentioned, I love their intellectual history(ie. there have many Jesuit scientists and philosophers). I have always wanted to be a polymath, and the order seems like it would be a fairly perfect "fit."

While in any case, I intend to become a priest, one of my other options is to seek a Ph.D. in a subject such as biological anthropology. However, I still have fascination with the idea of practicing medicine. I have also considered pursuing a Ph.D. in clinical psychology(unfortunately, like medical school, I have heard that admissions to such programs are very competitive) and perhaps an internship in clinical neuropsychology, but I would rather be a psychiatrist(hopefully providing both psychotherapy and prescribing medications) or a neurologist. I also think that all of the knowledge that is gained in medical school would help me to be a good bioethicist.

Very commendable of you Catholic Thinker--it's going be a very long road but no one ever said it would be easy. They just said it would be worth it. Best of luck to you--have faith that He will provide a way for you :)

Very commendable of you Catholic Thinker--it's going be a very long road but no one ever said it would be easy. They just said it would be worth it. Best of luck to you--have faith that He will provide a way for you :)
Thank you.

I also think that all of the knowledge that is gained in medical school would help me to be a good bioethicist.

Not really. Ethics education for medical students consists of a few hours of dos and don't dos.

There has been a couple of people on these threads who have looked at a medical degree as a stepping stone to an unrelated, or even loosely related career field.

This is a mistake. While some physicans may leave medicine and pursue a different career, this is rare.

You should pursue a MD, if and only if your goal is to treat patients. There is just too much expense, and not enough income potential for anything else. If you want to do anything besides treat patients, then go a different route.

Not really. Ethics education for medical students consists of a few hours of dos and don't dos.

There has been a couple of people on these threads who have looked at a medical degree as a stepping stone to an unrelated, or even loosely related career field.

This is a mistake. While some physicans may leave medicine and pursue a different career, this is rare.

You should pursue a MD, if and only if your goal is to treat patients. There is just too much expense, and not enough income potential for anything else. If you want to do anything besides treat patients, then go a different route.
I see. However, an education in bioethics is certainly not the only reason why I wish to attend medical school. I wish to directly help other people by using science and my own intellect.

I see. However, an education in bioethics is certainly not the only reason why I wish to attend medical school. I wish to directly help other people by using science and my own intellect.

That's fine. I think seele's point, and it is a good one, is that you listed at least three different degrees in the post he was referring to, and only one of them required an MD (psychiatry). If you have really broad interests in the sciences a PhD might give you more freedom to find areas of research that interest you. Just a thought.

That's fine. I think seele's point, and it is a good one, is that you listed at least three different degrees in the post he was referring to, and only one of them required an MD (psychiatry). If you have really broad interests in the sciences a PhD might give you more freedom to find areas of research that interest you. Just a thought.
All right.

While in any case, I intend to become a priest, one of my other options is to seek a Ph.D. in a subject such as biological anthropology. However, I still have fascination with the idea of practicing medicine. I have also considered pursuing a Ph.D. in clinical psychology(unfortunately, like medical school, I have heard that admissions to such programs are very competitive) and perhaps an internship in clinical neuropsychology, but I would rather be a psychiatrist(hopefully providing both psychotherapy and prescribing medications) or a neurologist. I also think that all of the knowledge that is gained in medical school would help me to be a good bioethicist.

I will agree that there is vitrually no time devoted to bioethics in medical school. What little time medical schools spend on 'ethics' is basically a week devoted to sumarizing your rights and responsibilities as interpreted by malpractice law. On the other hand I think that bioethics is something that, if you retained an interest, you could easily persue as a post-medical school masters degree while practicing as a physician, rather than devoting yourself to a 5-10 year PhD process.

BTW, I don't think you really have a strong understanding of what neurology does, considering the other professions that you lumped it in with.

BTW, I don't think you really have a strong understanding of what neurology does, considering the other professions that you lumped it in with.
I have to disagree. I have had personal experiences with a neurologist and know a little about neuroscience. I just happen to have broad interests. For example, I like literature and theoretical physics. Also, psychiatry and neurology are governed by the same medical board. As for medical specialties, I also am interested in ophthalmology, physiatrics, and internal medicine. As for seeking a master's degree in bioethics, I doubt that I will do that. For one thing, if I become a Jesuit, they always undergo 2 or 3 years of "first studies," which often means seeking a master's degree in philosophy. In any case, I will at some time have to earn Master of Divinity.

Last edited:
I think it is great that you have a wide variety of interests. So do I. Just know that not every interest needs to be a career or even result in a degree.

I don't know how catholic priests make a living, but for pretty much every other job, every year you are in school you are loosing money to tuition and earning potential. It is in your best interest financially to finish school as quickly as possible.

Having an MD and 3 PhDs may be cool to print on business cards, but it almost definitely will not translate to a salary that makes the extra years and hundreds of thousands of dollars spent, fiscally speaking, worth it.

Once again, my advice is to pick one field where you want a career, and then satisfy your curiosity about other fields with elective classes (where possible), and library books.

I don't know how catholic priests make a living, but for pretty much every other job, every year you are in school you are loosing money to tuition and earning potential. It is in your best interest financially to finish school as quickly as possible.

Having an MD and 3 PhDs may be cool to print on business cards, but it almost definitely will not translate to a salary that makes the extra years and hundreds of thousands of dollars spent, fiscally speaking, worth it.

I don't think you understand the Catholic priesthood very well. Catholic priests in most orders take a vow of poverty, and in (I think) all orders at the very least pool their resources with the other memebers of their order. If you take vows you are giving up on the concept of earning potential. 8K/year + food and housing is a pretty normal salary.

I have to disagree. I have had personal experiences with a neurologist and know a little about neuroscience. I just happen to have broad interests. For example, I like literature and theoretical physics. Also, psychiatry and neurology are governed by the same medical board. As for medical specialties, I also am interested in ophthalmology, physiatrics, and internal medicine. As for seeking a master's degree in bioethics, I doubt that I will do that. For one thing, if I become a Jesuit, they always undergo 2 or 3 years of "first studies," which often means seeking a master's degree in philosophy. In any case, I will at some time have to earn Master of Divinity.

That's reasonable, what I meant was that you seemed to be lumping neurology in with Psychiatry and clinical psychology which, governing boards aside, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Neurologists manage acute neural events medically, much the same way internal medicine subspecialists manage their paticular organs. It has much more in common with those subspecialties than the world of psychiatry/psychology, at least from what I've seen so far on rotations.

I don't think you understand the Catholic priesthood very well. Catholic priests in most orders take a vow of poverty, and in (I think) all orders at the very least pool their resources with the other memebers of their order. If you take vows you are giving up on the concept of earning potential. 8K/year + food and housing is a pretty normal salary.

Which is why I said as much. I was referring to a situation where he decided to pursue something besides the priesthood.

Some neurologists treat long term degenerative diseases such as MS & ALS.

The amount of bioethics taught in medical school varies by school and if it is important to a given applicant it is something that should be looked into before making an application.

There are a number of physicians with MD and PhD degrees... I know at least two (three?) who have their PhDs in ethics although they aren't priests.

Jesuit priests can earn a salary in the private sector and donate that into the common purse. One's needs are met from that common purse in consultation with one's local Jesuit leader.

Once again, my advice is to pick one field where you want a career, and then satisfy your curiosity about other fields with elective classes (where possible), and library books.
I see what you saying. If I pursue both fields, I will be in school for a very long time. At the same time, though, being a doctor is more than just having a degree. It is about helping other people with their physical or mental problems.

CatholicThinker said:
Actually, I have thought about joining Opus Dei as a numerary or associate(both are celibate but the former live in religious houses). However, I do not know if I could live up to all of the oblgations, such as wearing a hairshirt for 2 hours a day. Even so, I think that it is a good institution, and I admire their principles.

please look at this site: http://www.odan.org/ dan brown is the best thing that ever happened to opus dei, because now everyone who tries to speak up about them gets responses like "lol i bet you think they have albino monks too"

At the same time, though, being a doctor is more than just having a degree. It is about helping other people with their physical or mental problems.

I certainly don't disagree with you here.

Look, I identify with you. For me, going to college was like being at a buffet with all kinds of excellent food. You want to try everything, and any time you see something you like, you feel like you are going to regret missing out on everything else.

If you want to pursue both, it is certainly your prerogative. My only point is that you will simply not have enough time in the day to devote yourself completely to either. You don't see people with MD/JD degrees working full time as a physican and running a law practice. It just isn't possible.

That being said, if the time, the expense, and the effort are of no consequence, then by all means spend 20 years in school, and more power to you.

please look at this site: http://www.odan.org/ dan brown is the best thing that ever happened to opus dei, because now everyone who tries to speak up about them gets responses like "lol i bet you think they have albino monks too"

As a Mormon, forgive me if I don't swallow, hook, line, and sinker, the accusations of a website expressly created to undermine the work of a particular religious group.

My point was that the philosophy behind Opus Dei, in that everyone (not just priests) can live holy lives and serve God through their labor, is true.

Not to be a broken record but it's definitely doable. I go to Georgetown and there are a lot of dedicated physician priests that I've interacted with. Seems that they're more doctor than priest but I feel like if you want to go into religion, what's the next best thing than to treat the poor and downtrodden as Jesus would have wanted? I know you said it's going to be a lot of schooling but if you do enter priesthood, it's not like you'll have many other things to fill your time with.

If you haven't already, consider reading Francis Collins' book on reconciling religious/spiritual beliefs with science/medicine. He's very well known for championing this type of thinking and is a personal hero of mine. I think his book might give you some perspective, and his career might give you inspiration for taking on both avenues. Good luck!

If you haven't already, consider reading Francis Collins' book on reconciling religious/spiritual beliefs with science/medicine. He's very well known for championing this type of thinking and is a personal hero of mine. I think his book might give you some perspective, and his career might give you inspiration for taking on both avenues. Good luck!

After reading this thread, I was just going to mention the same thing. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Language-God-Scientist-Presents-Evidence/dp/0743286391

You can be both. That way, you can cure them and give God the credit, maybe next time they'll go directly to God for the cure. It's a lose-lose for everyone involved, like religion is overall anyway.

You can be both. That way, you can cure them and give God the credit, maybe next time they'll go directly to God for the cure. It's a lose-lose for everyone involved, like religion is overall anyway.

Fantastic,

My favorite part was when you mis-characterized a belief shared by 80% of the country, and then refuted your own mi-characterization.

It's called a strawman, and in the debate world, it equates to a huge, steaming pile of fail.

Yea, because if I were in a debate setting, I'd go with a condescending snarky comment as my main argument...

What am I doing?

Sorry guys, didn't mean to feed it.

My bad.

Ivy,

I respect and appreciate your normally very well articulated posts, including on the topic of religion that you've made in other threads. I am not religious myself, but I really don't see the point in you coming and trolling this thread with off-topic comments attacking religion.

Hey OP... While I am not in the exact same situation as you, I did complete an Orthodox Jewish rabbinical ordination before starting out in college. I have worked as a rabbi throughout my college career. I will be (hopefully) starting medical school in the fall, so, obviously, I feel there are a lot of complementary elements to medical practice and clerical duties.

My take, go with your heart... And do both!

(feel free to PM me if you want to discuss the clegy/medicine idea more thoroughly)

A Jewish experience.

In my Ob-Gyne rotation as an MS-4 the senior resident was a monk who was a tremendous physician. He rounded in cassock et al, and it was humorous at times when some of the patients got confused thinking he was taking confessional rather than a medical history! He was preparing to work with the poor in south america.

Not sure what happened to him. Was over 30 years ago. But at the time he almost became a medical mentor to me.

OP, btw, have you explored liberation theology and its connection to health and medicine? For me this is the most obvious connection and the one that resonates with me the most. Liberation theology is a radical catholic approach to religion that places social justice center stage. It has a long relationship to health and human rights work especially in Latin America.

I haven't read this but it might be interesting to you. Also, Paul Farmer's work and the book about him discuss his connection and attraction to liberation theology. If I'm not mistaken I think Tracy Kidder even asked Dr. Farmer to marry his daughter. I don't know if he had a temporary priesthood or what! If you haven't been exposed to Farmer's work, I highly recommend reading up on him, he is quite an inspiration.