Pritzker vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwilson

treo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering whether anyone had some thoughts regarding how these two schools compare. Visited both of them (liked both a lot), and seems like there are some similarities in curriculum, neighborhood and student body atmosphere. Not thinking I'll be lucky enough to have to choose, but let's suspend disbelief for a moment here.

Members don't see this ad.

chicago or new york, hmm . . . the "i love chicago" shirts just don't look quite as cool as the new york ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...I was going to say that Chicago is a way nicer town to live in. I also think that it'd be cheaper. New York is super expensive, and while Chicago isn't cheap it's definitely cheaper.

Good luck on making a tough choice.

Adam

That would be a tough choice to make. I think Pritzker is waaay underated. And unlike most people, you'll have to pay me a large sum of money to live in N.Y (I've always felt that way; nothing to do with Sept 11)

Actually, rent seems to be pretty reasonable at Columbia ~$550 for each person in a 3-person room, if you are lucky enough to get into the towers, which most people do. Of course, everything else is still wikkid Xpensive! ;)

You can get an apartment for $500 in Chicago and $1000 in NYC. Needless to say, Chicago is your best bet if you're looking to save a little.

I agree with you guys on the rents and everything. I've actually lived in both cities and dig both. Any thoughts on how the schools compare though? Just hoping someone would have more than the one-day exposure I had to those medical schools. Thanks!

I didn't apply to any NY schools, but I was thuroughly impressed with pritzker when I interviewed. Attention to students, academic opportunities, strength of curriculum and matching is second to none. More than that I feel like you really get a gut feeling one way or the other about a place, my gut really liked pritzker, go with your gut. I'm going back to chicago for a second look in a couple weeks, and sylvia is planning a full day of activities and such for me. Send me a private message if your interested in how the 2nd look goes. I hope you are lucky enough to have to make that decision.

hey coop- do you happen to know sylvia's email address? i interviewed at pritzker on oct. 31st and haven't heard anything yet and i wanted to email her...how long did it take for them to notify you after you interviewed there? also, does anyone know how they are on fin. aid? thanks... :)

ps- as far as the pritkzer vs. columbia debate...i havent interviewed in columbia yet, but i loved prit. when i went...nyc would be damn cool place to live in your mid 20s though...

This is certainly a tough one. I got into Pritzker yesterday, and I interviewed (and loved) Columbia, so it is not a debate far from my mind. I think the two schools are VERY similar. Perhaps one difference is the emphasis on research at Pritzker. I think the opportunities in research and dual degrees might be a bit more broad at Pritzker, but the clinical training at Columbia is, in my mind, unbelievable. If I were forced to decide I would certainly go back to each and take another closer look!
ZaN

Originally posted by saffron:
[QB]hey coop- do you happen to know sylvia's email address? i interviewed at pritzker on oct. 31st and haven't heard anything yet and i wanted to email her...how long did it take for them to notify you after you interviewed there? also, does anyone know how they are on fin. aid? thanks... :)
QB]••

saffron,
The email address if you search for her on the website it wrong, her correct address is [email protected] . When I interviewed (sept 27) they told us we'd hear within 4 weeks, and I heard 2 days shy of that deadline on oct 23rd. But I'm not sure if EVERYONE is told the same "4 week" deadline. But I guess 4 weeks for you would be tomorrow... GOOD LUCK! They fin aid seemed decent, better than average, they said average debt was something like 90-95K whereas average from privates it close to 120K and average for publics is about 80K. The only place I've seen that quoted better numbers was duke at 70 or 75K avg debt.

i know, i'm hoping i'll hear by the end of this week...i have a feeling it will be delayed because people probably took a few days off for the holidays, etc. anyhow, we'll see in the next week and a half or so...if not, im emailing sylvia...good luck everyone! maybe i'll see some of you at u of c next year (if i get in, that is!) :p

I just came back from my interview at Pritzker, and I've fallen in love with that school! Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. My interviewers made me feel so comfortable, and they were all so sweet, especially Sylvia. :) I definitely left with a good impression of that school. I think you would probably have more opportunities at Pritzker than Columbia.