Probably a bit too late to ask, but....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desaad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing as I've turned in my primary and most of my secondaries, it doesn't make much difference, but....

I got a scholarship to go to my University, full tuition. It was based, though, on my highschool work/grades. Granted, I kept a high enough GPA to keep the 'award' every year, but regardless I didn't include it in any application because, quite frankly, I thought it was about as silly as putting "National Merit Scholar" or something like that.

Did I make a mistake?

I promise I won't cry if you think I did, just curious. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Was there a particular name to this scholarship? I think if it had a specific name or was associated with an award, it may have been a good idea to include it on your AMCAS.

Indeed there was, though it's been so long I'd have to look it up.

Oh Poop. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would've mentioned it. National Merit in high school is not as worthless as you think. NHS is worthless, NMS isn't.

National Merit is a totally separate scholarship, and one I didn't even think to mention thanks to it's dependence on the PSAT. You really think THAT was worth mentioning?

The scholarship I am referring to was a full tuition scholarship from my university, separate from National Merit. I guess technically it was awarded to me during all four years, at the beginning of each semester, but...I don't know, it feels like a cheat to mention it. :)

I didn't include mine in the AMCAS... no biggie, I don't think it would have really helped me stand out anyways.

National Merit is a totally separate scholarship, and one I didn't even think to mention thanks to it's dependence on the PSAT. You really think THAT was worth mentioning?

The scholarship I am referring to was a full tuition scholarship from my university, separate from National Merit. I guess technically it was awarded to me during all four years, at the beginning of each semester, but...I don't know, it feels like a cheat to mention it. :)

I added the comment on National Merit because you mentioned it in the original post, I know National Merit wasn't involved in your scholarship. I'm just saying if someone was a National Merit Finalist or something it's not an achievement that everyone can get.

Sort of on the same line.. would a Gates Millennium Scholarship be worth mentioning?

Yeah...I think if you mentioned you were a National Merit Scholar on your med shcool app, you'd get laughed all the way to the "reject" pile. Seriously, though, don't list it. High school vanishes after you leave it. Nobody cares what classes you took or community service you did or what your SAT score was.

Earning a named scholarship through college is definitely worth including. If it's one of those high-powered scholarships, it might be worth including in an update letter if you have something else to add, but I wouldn't send an update just for that.

uh, I never said to list National Merit on a medical school app. I wouldn't list it either.

I guess I should clarify what I meant when I posted in this thread because several people misinterpreted what I said. Bolded are words I added.

I would've mentioned it (your scholarship). Also, National Merit in high school is not as worthless as you think. NHS is worthless, NMS isn't.