Probation Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheri80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens when your Pharmacy School's status changes while your in attendance. Let say all is well for the first three years and then the year you graduate it's given probation status. Is your degree (PharmD) no good at that point?

Members don't see this ad.

A school on probation means that something at that school did not meet ACPE standards. The school is given time to fix whatever problems it has so that when the next school visit comes, they can be taken off probation. However, the school is still accredited and you can still sit at the NAPLEX exam and get you license.

Probation does not mean non-accredited. If a school does not address its problem on probation, it can lose its accreditation and that would mean your license to practice would be no good (i think), but no school has lost its accreditation in the time of the ACPE.

A school on probation means that something at that school did not meet ACPE standards. The school is given time to fix whatever problems it has so that when the next school visit comes, they can be taken off probation. However, the school is still accredited and you can still sit at the NAPLEX exam and get you license.

Probation does not mean non-accredited. If a school does not address its problem on probation, it can lose its accreditation and that would mean your license to practice would be no good (i think), but no school has lost its accreditation in the time of the ACPE.

Thanks for your response themulya!

Members don't see this ad :)
related question - Would you apply to a school that is given a probation status? (I'm apply to schools next year) It seems like a risk to me, but I may be over reacting

related question - Would you apply to a school that is given a probation status? (I'm apply to schools next year) It seems like a risk to me, but I may be over reacting

If it's a program you want to attend then apply. Of course there is always the risk that the school might lose accreditation, but it's doubtful. Schools have 2 years to address their probation status and so far no one has lost accreditation.