Probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope4Grad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can share a positive story about someone they knew who was put on probation and made it out okay?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When profs are reviewed for promotion they have to write up how many mentees earned degrees, advanced to candidacy, etc. So mentors have special motivation to get their students moved through the system.

Well this thread could go in very different directions...

If you're speaking of academic probation I know maybe two people who have made it out to the other side. They had to bust their butts to not only get their GPAs back on track but to also earn the respect of faculty. Because we have such a small program (35 ppl approx), these failings are common knowledge and can be stigmatizing. Those people that made it really tuned other people out and refocused themselves on what they came here to do.

If you were speaking of legal probation, I've got nothing...

When profs are reviewed for promotion they have to write up how many mentees earned degrees, advanced to candidacy, etc. So mentors have special motivation to get their students moved through the system.

+1 The people who are dismissed from my program did something unethical, etc. Most advisors aren't gunning for their students (although it may feel that way at times :)).

Is this person in a clinical program? When you apply to internship, the APPI asks whether you've been put on academic probation. If your program has an intermediary step that occurs before probation, you don't have to report that. In my program, it's not uncommon to end up in the more minor category - it just means that you're behind on something, usually the thesis or dissertation. But faculty are more diligent about helping students to avoid actual probation, since it goes on the APPI.

I believe the APPI also asks about arrest history. In that sense, I'm fairly certain that either type of probation has the potential to impact the internship application process, though I would guess that different sites have different policies about how much it matters to them.

If you're not in a clinical program (or don't need to do internship), I don't know whether you'd ever have to disclose probation, so I'm not sure about that!

Thanks for your input so far - I'm talking about academic probation and yes, hopefully clinical psych internship will come down the line...although it's worrisome considering the internship applicant to site ratio (imbalance)...looking for a little positivity if at all possible!

Oh, and FYI, nothing unethical occurred here.

Very context-dependent.

We have tons of students go on probation, but its typically for ignoring department guidelines intended to get people graduating sooner. Many faculty are old-school and think its normal to stick around 7 years as long as one is being productive, and their students have been very successful.

If its for a low GPA, or some other deficiencies (i.e. failing comps), that might be a bigger problem.

Very context-dependent.

We have tons of students go on probation, but its typically for ignoring department guidelines intended to get people graduating sooner. Many faculty are old-school and think its normal to stick around 7 years as long as one is being productive, and their students have been very successful.

If its for a low GPA, or some other deficiencies (i.e. failing comps), that might be a bigger problem.

Is the type of probation you are referring to (ignoring department guidelines), the type that gets reported to APPI? I'm wondering if probation is just probation, and gets reported no matter what?

Thanks for your input so far - I'm talking about academic probation and yes, hopefully clinical psych internship will come down the line...although it's worrisome considering the internship applicant to site ratio (imbalance)...looking for a little positivity if at all possible!

The two students ahead of me in my lab both went on academic probation for missing department timelines (our department was a real stickler for deadlines) and both went on to top VA internship positions.