Problem Based Learning Curriculum...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been told that PBL was invented at Harvard.

So I've heard as well but it still doesn't answer how much of it they do per week and whether it's done well or not.

Members don't see this ad.

For what ever its worth, count me in the traditional lecture camp. I learn best through independent study, but I like the structure of lecture-based programs. For me at least, having all the info up front and organized ... and just diving in and learning it, is much more satisfying. I can always explore more about a topic or talk with others on my own, or even sit in lecture as a passive review/overview of material.

I get frustrated in small group learning environments because it can be so low-yield. I am very often not interested at all in hearing a fellow student ramble about what he or she read up on/researched the night before (since I would prefer to just go read up on it myself). If I have the need or urge to work with other students in a group learning environment, there is always the option of joining or organizing study groups with classmates or meeting with other like-minded students to discuss topics over dinner or something. This is just me though, I can see how other people may do very well in the PBL environment. Different people learn in different ways.

Does anyone know approximately how much PBL HMS New Pathway has per week? For anyone who goes to Harvard (or knows!), does it dominate the curriculum and do you think it's well done?

I know very little about Harvards curriculum but my girlfriend who interviewed there told me that they had to change their curriculum around after the NP was initiated because board scores were going to low. So I would assume with the changes it isn't all PBL (although maybe it originally was).

I just thought that it was funny that Harvard initiated this "amazing" new curriculum and then board scores went down and they had to make some changes to fix it.

Members don't see this ad :)
this debate's still going on. i thought billy madison had settled it.

I know very little about Harvards curriculum but my girlfriend who interviewed there told me that they had to change their curriculum around after the NP was initiated because board scores were going to low. So I would assume with the changes it isn't all PBL (although maybe it originally was).

I just thought that it was funny that Harvard initiated this "amazing" new curriculum and then board scores went down and they had to make some changes to fix it.

One of my advisors at medical school was in the first Harvard class to use PBL. He said that half of the class failed Step 1. I don't know the truth of this, I'm just passing it on.