Process for residency

Started by Deeva
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Deeva

Graduate Intern
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm a foreign graduate and am trying to get Licensed in the state of California. I graduated from India with a B.S in pharmacy degree couple of years ago. Can anyone please tell me if I am eligible to apply for residency? If yes, what is the process? My are of interest is Pediatric pharmacy. Also where can I get more information about the process of application for residency programs? And what is this matching system? I am totally confused. Please someone help me out:scared:
 
Hi,

I'm a foreign graduate and am trying to get Licensed in the state of California. I graduated from India with a B.S in pharmacy degree couple of years ago. Can anyone please tell me if I am eligible to apply for residency? If yes, what is the process? My are of interest is Pediatric pharmacy. Also where can I get more information about the process of application for residency programs? And what is this matching system? I am totally confused. Please someone help me out:scared:

Most residency programs will require you to be licensed in the state the program is located. Each state has different requirements to obtain a license.
 
Figure out your licensing status in the U.S. before going for a residency. If you have a 4 year degree and graduated after 2003, than you do not have an equivalent degree and can't take FPGEE. It can take 1-2 years for foreign grads to get licensed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most residency programs will require you to be licensed in the state the program is located. Each state has different requirements to obtain a license.

Genesis09,
I already passed my CPJE and will be taking my NAPLEX in the next couple of weeks. I dont know as of now where I want to do residency and what the process is. First of all I dont know if I am eligible to apply for residency. Can you please tell me where I can find more information? i only wish I can make a score transfer now itself, if I know where I'll get admission cause I understand if not, then I'll have to do license transfer? Its all confusing!
 
Assuming you pass the NAPLEX, you'll be elgible for California residencies. Different states have different laws regarding interntional grads. I don't know if they accept those licenses reciprocately. All of the requirements will be on the ASHP website.