Professional Email Signature format for Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsBougainvillea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a new intern. I am working on my professional Email signature. Do any of you have advice for making it look more professional? I would love to see how you've done your signatures.

I am mainly wondering about improvements to the PGY1 line.

Right now:

(First and last name, MD)
PGY1
(Name of Residency Program)
(Professional Email Address)

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am a new intern. I am working on my professional Email signature. Do any of you have advice for making it look more professional? I would love to see how you've done your signatures.

Right now:

PGY1

Many thanks!

Mine is:

John Smith, MD
PGY3 Internal Medicine
University of Whatsitcalled

Reactions: 1 user

Right now:

PGY1

Many thanks!

I hope you're not serious. Don't bother. You're not going to impress anyone as an intern, so just leave out all that nonsense and just use your first and last name.

Thanks Raryn, doc05, and Dral! Appreciate your responses.

Raryn, Thanks for the example! Looks much better condensed with PGY in line with prog - Will change mine!
Doc05, Thank you! Mainly want to ID if sending outside program. Will sign first name, then have signature few spaces below to be ignored or for contact info if need.
Dral, LOL.. :) Just imagining that convo makes me laugh.. Will def follow your advice!! I hope to never know a resident that does that.

The residents at my shop use Raryns format.

It can be helpful because we have so many trainees and visiting clinicians and all of these other folks running around it's nice to know where someone is coming from when I get an email about something.

Reactions: 1 users
You have way too much free time. Put some form of your name. It really doesn't matter. People are way too busy to care or even think about it unless you put down something very bizarre.

I hope you're not serious. Don't bother. You're not going to impress anyone as an intern, so just leave out all that nonsense and just use your first and last name.

I love it when intern's tell me they're Dr. SoAndSo. Okay Dr. SoAndSo, what's the name of the patient that you're calling a consult for? Oh say what? Cat's got your tongue Dr?

I'm always just bob from surgery. On notes it's Bob, Surgery, Pager #

I love it when intern's tell me they're Dr. SoAndSo. Okay Dr. SoAndSo, what's the name of the patient that you're calling a consult for? Oh say what? Cat's got your tongue Dr?

Verbally, I always say something like "John Smith, Medicine Team X" or "John Smith, Hematology Service" when I'm answering the calls. Sometimes, I don't know who is calling me, and if I just said it's "John from Medicine", it would confuse the nurse/RT/whomever looking for Dr. Smith.

Reactions: 2 users
Verbally, I always say something like "John Smith, Medicine Team X" or "John Smith, Hematology Service" when I'm answering the calls. Sometimes, I don't know who is calling me, and if I just said it's "John from Medicine", it would confuse the nurse/RT/whomever looking for Dr. Smith.

Truth. I forget that I usually just use my last name to make it easy for people.

just

make sure that pager number is legible...cuz really you are surgery...or surgery intern :)

just

make sure that pager number is legible...cuz really you are surgery...or surgery intern :)

I have not idea what you are insinuating. If anything it's the medicine people who can't write a legible signature, because they've already tired their hands writing endless assessment/plan.

I have not idea what you are insinuating. If anything it's the medicine people who can't write a legible signature, because they've already tired their hands writing endless assessment/plan.

my point is that more often than not, people don't care what your name is...i can't count how many times I have been referred to as the "endocrine fellow" or just plain "endocrine" on the phone...people who actually read the note, just want to know who they need to call...they don't care if you sign it Dr. Smith, Dr. Bob, Bob Smith, of just Bob...

and the :) was meant to say this was said in a lighthearted vein...jeez

my point is that more often than not, people don't care what your name is...i can't count how many times I have been referred to as the "endocrine fellow" or just plain "endocrine" on the phone...people who actually read the note, just want to know who they need to call...they don't care if you sign it Dr. Smith, Dr. Bob, Bob Smith, of just Bob...

not offended. Just couldn't make any sense of it. Please improve grammar in notes.

It depends on who I'm talking to.

Outside physician office staff/answering service? Dr. Siggy.

Consultant themsevles? Siggy.

Answering pages which are normally from nursing staff? Dr. Siggy.

Introducing myself face to face with staff (nursing, EVS, etc)? Siggy... which normally makes them want to look at my ID badge to get my last name .

On one hand, the only person I care about being introduced to by Dr. Lastname is the patient. On the other hand, when looking at the call schedule or who wrote the last progress note or who put in that NG tube order for the 87 y/o acute stroke patient who the nursing staff thinks is going to code if they put an NG tube in, all they're going to see in the computer is Dr. Lastname.

...now the real fun is that I normally go by my middle name anyways.

At the hospital I did my intern year at all of the major services had residencies (medicine, surgery, EM, etc) and pretty much every resident answer that services phone with the name of their service. Now I'm doing an IM residency at an unopposed community hospital and I can't break myself from the habit of answering the phone with "medicine."

I usually answer on the phone "First name, specialty intern" to other docs. I like other docs to know up front that I'm an intern, that way they know why I sound dumb. I noticed the consultants were a lot nicer to me once I lowered their expectations. You only have the target on your back / shield of being an intern once, might as well use that to what little advantage it offers, namely the only advantage which is lowering expectations. Sometimes you're taken less seriously/discounted/talked down to as a result, but I'd rather that then have any misunderstandings about how much weight I have on the team, and at the end of the day, if they think less of me for being an intern, have at it. Human punching bag at your service if that makes you feel better about your day oh mighty one above me in the hierarchy.

That can backfire with nurses or other ancillary staff calling you, they can get some attitude that you're an intern and they know better than you (and I'm not going to say that isn't the case sometimes) but it doesn't matter as much once I write the order, because an order is an order. They may try to go over your head to the resident or attending, but they usually get the smack down for that. "Sorry, you'll need to page/talk to the intern." Sometimes that leads to a question like, "Intern, why am I getting your pages/having whoever bother me?" Then I just tell them that I talked to whoever it is and they didn't seem to like the fact that I'm an intern. Usually dissipates the tension.

I never figured out if I should use my first name or last with the nurses, I started off with doctor last name so they would recognize the orders that I write and that I'm someone who can write them orders. It seems like most of the other resident docs use their last names and get more respect, but some nurses seemed to think I was the biggest a-hole ever, so when I introduce myself to them now I just use first name last name specialty resident to split the difference. As an intern you're entitled to call yourself a resident, I use intern with other docs to try to soften the blows out of pity, although sometimes they just hit harder because some people are hyenas and they like to go for the weakest in the pack. After that intro, I tell the nurses to call me by my first name and I feel like we get along better for it despite what I said above about respect. I'll go for inspiring likeability over authority with nurses any day at this point. If a nurse calls me doctor last name, I don't correct them because if that's how they think of me so be it. I can use every ounce of confidence in me that you want to throw my way.

Throwing in your status as intern, resident, whatever, lets people know your place in the hierarchy (ie doctor) without throwing your title around.

If I'm calling outside the institution, like to another doc's office, if it's the office staff I say doctor last name because I want them to know to patch me through, then once I get the doc I use first name, specialty intern.

Sometimes calling within the institution I use doctor last name, like if I'm trying to get through on nights to a human being on pharm or lab or something. Same thing with the operator. Not to throw it around but so they know doctor last name means business about getting a hold of someone.

This probably seems like I'm overthinking it, but I'm very psych-minded and I tell you I can feel these little nuances in my interactions with people.

I knew an intern that was using first name with patients, and I gotta say I think it's a no-no. Having the patient call you doctor is not for you and your ego, it's for the benefit of the patient and the therapeutic alliance, if you ask me. They want to have the attention of a doctor, and you want their respect to translate to hearing your advice.

Depending on the size of your program/hospital, your name may or may not matter. In a smaller place, it's nice to know who in "specialty name" you're talking to.