elementals

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys, some of you might remember me from last year... I had a buuuunch of interviews and thought they all went well, but then didn't match :( In retrospect I think I got overconfident and also deluded myself on just how competitive I was; i.e. in the end my rank list was like 80% west coast or "top tier", and there just weren't enough safeties to save my ass.

Anyway! Point is: right now I'm doing a postdoc fellowship, and it's actually going really well. I think the dept really likes me and honestly I would like to stay here for residency. I do have other programs I'm interested in, but -- I would be perfectly happy where I am.

Now for the question. The PD of this program recently offered to call other PDs on my behalf. Now, of course this is well and good, but being a paranoid neurotic reapplicant, it immediately makes me worry because: 1) does this mean where I am isn't interested in me, that he's offering to call other people, or conversely, 2) if I did ask him to call other programs, and they were more competitive than the place I'm at, would that make him think I was less interested in them and thus cause them to rank me lower?

OK -- even typing that I know I'm being neurotic. But I really would appreciate some feedback on how to handle it when your own PD offers to call around for you. Thanks!

ocularis

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
I would express your strong interest in the program to the PD and really emphasize how happy you are and that you would love to stay... and then say something like that you understand the competitiveness of the field and their program, so while you will be ranking this particular program the highest (assuming it's true!) here are your other programs of high interest. If you think your chances here are the highest and you would be happy, I think ranking them the highest is your safest bet to match all together, that way you can tell him with confidence your intentions and really be convincing in wanting that spot, and it's clear that the other programs are secondary.

It's impossible to get into his head, but on the surface I think he is just trying to be helpful, he clearly likes you and is willing to stand up for you, and I am sure he will stand up for you at his program but he also realizes that it's not just his opinion that counts. PD's making phone calls is just the culture of ophtho, and I think he is just partaking.

Given what happened last year, it seems like you did a lot of self-analysis and have a very mature perspective of what occurred and know what to do to avoid it. I wouldn't over analyze his intentions, tread lightly, take advantage of this as it's a big deal and can be helpful, but also don't let yourself lose focus on matching all together and this program in particular as it may be the key to you having a successful match.

Reactions: DrZeke and 100D

100D

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
I would relax and feel honored that the PD is going out of their way to support your application. This is not offered to everyone.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would express your strong interest in the program to the PD and really emphasize how happy you are and that you would love to stay... and then say something like that you understand the competitiveness of the field and their program, so while you will be ranking this particular program the highest (assuming it's true!) here are your other programs of high interest. If you think your chances here are the highest and you would be happy, I think ranking them the highest is your safest bet to match all together, that way you can tell him with confidence your intentions and really be convincing in wanting that spot, and it's clear that the other programs are secondary.

It's impossible to get into his head, but on the surface I think he is just trying to be helpful, he clearly likes you and is willing to stand up for you, and I am sure he will stand up for you at his program but he also realizes that it's not just his opinion that counts. PD's making phone calls is just the culture of ophtho, and I think he is just partaking.

Given what happened last year, it seems like you did a lot of self-analysis and have a very mature perspective of what occurred and know what to do to avoid it. I wouldn't over analyze his intentions, tread lightly, take advantage of this as it's a big deal and can be helpful, but also don't let yourself lose focus on matching all together and this program in particular as it may be the key to you having a successful match.
Second this. You got this elementals.

OP
E

elementals

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback... that's super helpful. TBH there's a part of me that really wants to go back west for residency because my whole family is out there, plus culturally I'm a lot more comfortable in the west coast. But I just have to remember that 1) I'd rather be an ophthalmologist in timbuktu than anything else anywhere else, and 2) I can go back west for fellowship, or when I'm an attending.

I really hope I got this ;)