General Admissions & OTCAS Program Ranking: does it really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT510

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Does the graduate school one attends for their MSOT or DOT really matter? (in terms of future job placement) Programs are so expensive. Applications aside, planning out interviews and paying for deposits has become extremely costly. I'm torn between picking a lower ranked school/program with a more affordable tuition vs a higher ranked program that costs 15-20k more a year.
If the NBCOT test scores are all from 97-100% for both lower ranked programs and higher ranked programs.. does it really matter which program I pick?
If I am not applying to the top ranked programs (USC, BU, Wash U, CU) will the name of the school I graduate from effect my future job opportunities?

Also, I've been polling current OT's about DROT vs MSOT and I'm curious to see what other people are considering for 2017. Although the drot is still entry level and you sit for the same exam, is there a chance that NOT having an OTD will negatively effect job placement in the future?

Any thoughts would help! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer, no. It doesn't matter from what I've seen working OTs say.

And the OTD thing, you can get one, but you'd more than likely get paid the same as someone with an MOT from what others are saying. Unless that's what you want, don't let it deter you. Before the MOT, it was a bachelor's. And they're doing the same work as MOTs and getting the same pay. So if it ever comes to that, you may get grandfathered in as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about OT, but for PTs (I am a PT), our license is like a driver's license. As long as you have one, nobody cares where you went to school. I have been part of interview panels (we were looking to hire PTs and OTs) and the only thing we look at is "does this person have a valid license?".

A difference of 15-20K/year between 2 schools is enormous. Make sure you take into account your estimated starting salary when you decide which school to go to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about OT, but for PTs (I am a PT), our license is like a driver's license. As long as you have one, nobody cares where you went to school. I have been part of interview panels (we were looking to hire PTs and OTs) and the only thing we look at is "does this person have a valid license?".

A difference of 15-20K/year between 2 schools is enormous. Make sure you take into account your estimated starting salary when you decide which school to go to.
I'm considering applying to an OT school that is nationally accredited but not regionally accredited. However, this school is accredited by AOTA. Would receiving a degree from a school that is not regionally accredited hurt an applicants chances of getting a job at your facility?

Hi everyone!
Does the graduate school one attends for their MSOT or DOT really matter? (in terms of future job placement) Programs are so expensive. Applications aside, planning out interviews and paying for deposits has become extremely costly. I'm torn between picking a lower ranked school/program with a more affordable tuition vs a higher ranked program that costs 15-20k more a year.
If the NBCOT test scores are all from 97-100% for both lower ranked programs and higher ranked programs.. does it really matter which program I pick?
If I am not applying to the top ranked programs (USC, BU, Wash U, CU) will the name of the school I graduate from effect my future job opportunities?

Also, I've been polling current OT's about DROT vs MSOT and I'm curious to see what other people are considering for 2017. Although the drot is still entry level and you sit for the same exam, is there a chance that NOT having an OTD will negatively effect job placement in the future?

Any thoughts would help! Thank you

No. Many hiring places do not care as long as you graduated from an accredited program and have a license. For more information, and background information on OT schooling and debt, check out: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ent-healthcare-climate.1216192/#post-18284472

The thread was created by a current OT student. He explains the current and possible future climate of OT, schooling, and debt. It is not meant to scare anyone out of OT (every job has its pros and its cons), but to inform others.

No. Many hiring places do not care as long as you graduated from an accredited program and have a license. For more information, and background information on OT schooling and debt, check out: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ent-healthcare-climate.1216192/#post-18284472

The thread was created by a current OT student. He explains the current and possible future climate of OT, schooling, and debt. It is not meant to scare anyone out of OT (every job has its pros and its cons), but to inform others.
Thanks for the link to that, it is a lot of info..but good info, and though quit intimidating, I think its good information! thanks :)