Program Suggestions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for a few DO programs to apply to and I was hoping to get the input from the veterans of this board.

What I'm looking for ideally:

-Programs that focus on patient contact (if possible)
-Programs with a high degree of student satisfaction (yes, I've consulted the SDN student happiness survey)
-Somewhere not incredibly hot (I can take south, but Texas would probably be overdoing it)
-Nothing overly cut throat. I prefer helping my classmates to kicking them in the face.
-A well rounded program
-Any other suggestions you guys have

I've ordered this year's MSAR, it should be here in a few days, I'm just trying to get personal opinions in the mean time.

Thanks a lot, any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

the msar does not include DO schools, but you can order a free little book with some info on DO programs from the AACOM website

Depakote said:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a few DO programs to apply to and I was hoping to get the input from the veterans of this board.

-Programs with a high degree of student satisfaction (yes, I've consulted the SDN student happiness survey)
-Somewhere not incredibly hot (I can take south, but Texas would probably be overdoing it)
-Nothing overly cut throat. I prefer helping my classmates to kicking them in the face.
-A well rounded program

I've ordered this year's MSAR, it should be here in a few days, I'm just trying to get personal opinions in the mean time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depakote said:
Hi All,

-A well rounded program

OUCOM might be an option for you. We have at least 4 clinical contacts/quarter if you choose CPC (our systems curriculum) and 10 if you choose PCC (our PBL curriculum). We are very happy overall, not too hot, and are graded P/F. We have a pretty good program and a couple options of how you want to study as well as good clinical rotations in years 3 and 4 with 10 CORE rotation sites www.ohiocore.org. Take a look at us we are a well kept secret in the SDN world.

On a related note, I'm planning on applying to the following schools with the following stats:

NC Resident
3.73 AACOMAS GPA
28N MCAT

1. AZCOM
2. NOVA
3. CCOM
4. KCOM
5. KCUMB
6. UMDNJ
7. PCOM-GA
8. PCOM
9. VCOM
10. WVSOM

I'd apply to OSU and MSU, but they accept very few OOS folks and MSU is $$$. WVU is $$$ too, but only a 4.5 hr. drive away.

What are your thoughts on my list? Thanks.

CCOM, PCOM, UMDNJ, and KCUMB are my top choices right now.

Your list looks good Packamylase, you should do well.

OP: One of my favorite things about UMDNJ is the family atmosphere; it is us against med school not against each other. This is enforced by no curves in our grades, you get what you earn, and by no ranking system. The school tracks our progress so we get help should we need it but we are never aware of how we stand compared to the rest. We also have a class called community medicine from day 1 that assigns you to a preceptor where you get to shadow and do some clinical work. There are also simulated patient labs with that class and many of our professors are open to students popping in to the OR/ER/clinic to learn from day 1. Good luck!

DORoe said:
OUCOM might be an option for you. We have at least 4 clinical contacts/quarter if you choose CPC (our systems curriculum) and 10 if you choose PCC (our PBL curriculum). We are very happy overall, not too hot, and are graded P/F. We have a pretty good program and a couple options of how you want to study as well as good clinical rotations in years 3 and 4 with 10 CORE rotation sites www.ohiocore.org. Take a look at us we are a well kept secret in the SDN world.

Yes, but only 15% of your class is OOS.

http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/Admissions/questions.htm

Nate said:

OP: One of my favorite things about UMDNJ is the family atmosphere; it is us against med school not against each other. This is enforced by no curves in our grades, you get what you earn, and by no ranking system. The school tracks our progress so we get help should we need it but we are never aware of how we stand compared to the rest. We also have a class called community medicine from day 1 that assigns you to a preceptor where you get to shadow and do some clinical work. There are also simulated patient labs with that class and many of our professors are open to students popping in to the OR/ER/clinic to learn from day 1. Good luck!

Thanks, Nate!

Nate said:

If you could go ahead and reserve me a spot to UMDNJSOM, that would be grrrreeaattt. No hurry. :cool: