Project on Osteopathic Medical Education and Empathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scribe4Life

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming MS1 here. I just received this survey link from my school, I'm not exactly sure what kind of distribution they're expecting for these answers from school-to-school but regardless I'm curious how current students feel about OMM being listed alongside homeopathy?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• OMT survey questions.png
    OMT survey questions.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 161
Incoming MS1 here. I just received this survey link from my school, I'm not exactly sure what kind of distribution they're expecting for these answers from school-to-school but regardless I'm curious how current students feel about OMM being listed alongside homeopathy?

Well.... I mean.....

Reactions: 3 users
Although its not quite homeopathy LMAOOO... thats the biggest joke I've heard yet, there is evidence of OMM working in certain musculoskeletal problems. Stuff like cranial and chapman points are pseudoscience but for the most part unless you want to become an FM/NMM doc you will most likely never use OMM in residency or practice, its just something that most ppl have to deal with for 4 years and they can forget that it even existed after that lol. But I will say that as a DO it is something that can be billed for so to each his own ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there's actual data showing homeopathy is worthless. OMM...that's more in the realm of unproven claims....except for Chapman's points and cranial bone movement as an explanation for cranial therapy. That's woo, pure and simple.

Reactions: 1 user
OMM is a form of alternative medicine, so it makes sense that it would be listed among other forms of alternative medicine.

OMM = I can stretch and move around this patient in a certain way and it might help with some musculoskeletal issues.

Homeopathy = *DMT starts to hit* I added water to this water! I’m gonna heal the ghosts in ur blood!

Reactions: 10 users
OMM = I can stretch and move around this patient in a certain way and it might help with some musculoskeletal issues.

Homeopathy = *DMT starts to hit* I added water to this water! I’m gonna heal the ghosts in ur blood!

Holy &$%# homeopathy uses DMT?!?

I went into the wrong field!

Reactions: 1 users

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Pretty sure that's a trap I think I might not fill that one out. Seems like a way to get a bullseye on you.

Remember, nothing from your schools email is anonymous.

I'm curious how current students feel about OMM being listed alongside homeopathy?
I mean in western medicine where the treatment is drugs or surgery OMT is an alternative treatment. When OMM research entails a research study of n = 4, i think it's valid we can clump it with other modes of treatment with small sample sizes.

Pretty sure that's a trap I think I might not fill that one out. Seems like a way to get a bullseye on you.

I didn't think any school cared about "backdoor MDs" like most of the people that frequent this forum. One thing I'm starting to learn now that i'm rotating with other schools is that there is more than enough people that went to DO school because they truly wanted to learn OMT.

I didn't feel like any of the statements in the survey was truly against osteopathic medicine other than the one that summarizes OMT as "temporary treatment" but even our OMT professors mention some treatments as purely placebo and helps the patient relax before you apply another treatment.

Well, there's actual data showing homeopathy is worthless. OMM...that's more in the realm of unproven claims....except for Chapman's points and cranial bone movement as an explanation for cranial therapy. That's woo, pure and simple.
There are actually studies that indicate that homeopathy is "efficacious" for small things. The quality of the studies is probably on par with most omm studies .so there is that. I would say the scientific plausibility of either field is probably similar as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are actually studies that indicate that homeopathy is "efficacious" for small things. The quality of the studies is probably on par with most omm studies .so there is that. I would say the scientific plausibility of either field is probably similar as well.
To tell the truth, I've followed the homeopathy studies and they really, really are trash. Agree that OMM studies tend to be poorly designed, but some seem to have a more consistent theme that at a minimum, there's something there. Maybe they're the best at provoking a nice placebo effect? That human touch thing?

To tell the truth, I've followed the homeopathy studies and they really, really are trash. Agree that OMM studies tend to be poorly designed, but some seem to have a more consistent theme that at a minimum, there's something there. Maybe they're the best at provoking a nice placebo effect? That human touch thing?
Nothing wrong with a good massage , as long as it's sold as that.

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing wrong with a good massage , as long as it's sold as that.

To be fair I have seen it work for some things, purely MSK related. Saw a patient the other day with torticollis and because we are an "osteopathic" teaching hospital we put in an OMM consult and they came and worked on their neck. It was definitely improved later that day, and they didn't receive any muscle relaxers either. So for some stuff I can see a benefit, the other 90% of it is largely placebo, or complete BS lol.

To be fair I have seen it work for some things, purely MSK related. Saw a patient the other day with torticollis and because we are an "osteopathic" teaching hospital we put in an OMM consult and they came and worked on their neck. It was definitely improved later that day, and they didn't receive any muscle relaxers either. So for some stuff I can see a benefit, the other 90% of it is largely placebo, or complete BS lol.
Yeah, but could a massage have worked just as well ? Did the effect last longer than a massage or some other random touch ?

I never even knew there was such a thing as an omm consult. Is there a stat omm consult option too? Fascinating.

I never even knew there was such a thing as an omm consult. Is there a stat omm consult option too? Fascinating.

Haha no stat consults. But yeah because our hospital is considered an osteopathic teaching hospital there is an OMM team like with any other service. We are one of the very few left I think.

Most people ignore OMM exists but some of the older attendings still want OMM on some of their patients.

I doubt a massage would have worked, because they did more of the PT OMM stuff and not the massage stuff. Now would it have worked better than PT? Probably not because that’s pretty much what it was. The point is that I am the furthest thing from an OMM believer, but even I have seen some minor utility is select cases.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha no stat consults. But yeah because our hospital is considered an osteopathic teaching hospital there is an OMM team like with any other service. We are one of the very few left I think.

Most people ignore OMM exists but some of the older attendings still want OMM on some of their patients.

I doubt a massage would have worked, because they did more of the PT OMM stuff and not the massage stuff. Now would it have worked better than PT? Probably not because that’s pretty much what it was. The point is that I am the furthest thing from an OMM believer, but even I have seen some minor utility is select cases.

Since you mentioned PT...

So I’m not sure if this is the norm, but my Father in-law is a PT and owns several clinics. I asked him one day why he didn’t provide massage services at his clinics (I feel like it’s pretty common in our area.)

He went on a short little rant about massage is equivalent to chiropractic type work and how it’s a business that requires you to return over and over again.

He than went on to discuss how DOs are fine in his opinion because the vast majority that use OMM practice “PT type OMM”....

It was interesting because
1) I’ve never thought of massage as a “scam” (lack of a better word) that didn’t solve the real issues.

2) That OMM has different types (this was before I educated myself a little more on it.)

With school starting soon I think for mental health reasons I’ll just lean into OMM (resistance/bitching is emotionally exhausting.) After it’s all said in done if I can work on my brother who is a power lifter and my wife who is a cyclist I’ll see my OMM hours as valuable.

Anybody else hate omm research? Studies showing that omm can decrease time in the hospital for pneumonia or CHF? Uh yeah, if I’m getting 8 omm treatments per day on top of all the other hospital stay nonsense I’ll be leaving early too lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Anybody else hate omm research? Studies showing that omm can decrease time in the hospital for pneumonia or CHF? Uh yeah, if I’m getting 8 omm treatments per day on top of all the other hospital stay nonsense I’ll be leaving early too lol.

What are you talking about? I LOVE reading studies with n values less than 10 that show pedal pump is good for cancer treatment.

Also an incoming OMS1. I think what they are doing is trying to get an idea of what perceptions incoming students have regarding Osteopathic Medicine as a whole. Might help to inform more long-term directions with the AOA and other organizations.

OMM isn’t homeopathy because of the definition of homeopathy. Also, OMM is so broadly defined that you can’t call it complete crap. The cranial, Chapman’s points, organ manipulation, etc. ?? Complete crap. But like muscle energy and counterstrain? So shadow a PT. They use some of those modalities. If you say you don’t believe in any OMM then that means you don’t believe in PT.

Also an incoming OMS1. I think what they are doing is trying to get an idea of what perceptions incoming students have regarding Osteopathic Medicine as a whole. Might help to inform more long-term directions with the AOA and other organizations.

Hopefully this. I'm not too worried about my answers anyway, because I'm interested in at least learning about OMM. I probably won't use it beyond helping my dad with his old man back pain, though.