Promotion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bornforcutting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.why does it take over 90 days to announce your promotion after the boards meet? I just can’t figure out why it takes this long even if they need it approved by the senate.

Members don't see this ad.

1.why does it take over 90 days to announce your promotion after the boards meet? I just can’t figure out why it takes this long even if they need it approved by the senate.

Have you seen how many offices the promotion list actually goes through before it gets to the senate? And I think the list actually gets released prior to final Senate approval, but haven’t looked at the tracker in a long time.

There’s quite a bit of cross checking going on at each of those levels.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There are many different steps and officials who need to approve the board before it is released. Basically, everyone needs to check their records to make sure no one with an issue has slipped through. For ranks below O-7, if there is a problem with one person on the list, the entire list can be held up in the Senate. By the way, the list is released before Senate approval, so that is a second delay until anyone is actually promoted.

The reason for a goal of 100 days is that the approval process has several locations where the ROP stops for review. In addition, at each of these locations there is more than one individual or office doing a review of the ROP. For example, at the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), there are actually 10 offices with 26 individuals that must review the ROP before it is presented to the Deputy Secretary of Defense (DEPSECDEF) for signature. Because of this a ROP may “appear” to sit at one location for a long time, even weeks.

Promotion Board Approval Process

It is the same process for all of the services.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Don't try to figure out why. Just accept this is how the system works. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration and misery.

Reactions: 1 user
Try the reserve corps. Mine took 9 some odd months from the board approval to getting to pin.

Try the reserve corps. Mine took 9 some odd months from the board approval to getting to pin.

That’s normal. They are talking about from the time the board meets until the time the results are announced. For Navy it can be over a year from the time the results are announced until one pins on.

Everyone used to get frocked as soon as the list came out.

Everyone used to get frocked as soon as the list came out.

I don’t know about remote history, but for Navy Officers it has been this way for at least the last 20 years. They have changed the percentages promoted each month as a cost savings measure. It’s possible that it changed when DOPMA was enacted.