Propensity for Specialization- UNLV vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicktheTooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Open discussion about good schools that increase your chance to get into a specialization. In particular, any words on UNLV's pre-doctorate DDS program vs. NYU ???

Members don't see this ad.

Oh geez.. another one of these threads. Avoid NYU at all costs, it will cost you over 550k. UNLV allows in-state tuition after a year. Students can specialize from both schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oh geez.. another one of these threads. Avoid NYU at all costs, it will cost you over 550k. UNLV allows in-state tuition after a year. Students can specialize from both schools.

Fair play. However in my situation I am international (Ireland) so I have to pay the out-of-state, but still saving money overall. What I am getting at is which school's program would create the best oppurtunity/environment to build a competitive application. Various complaints about NYU's program making it harder to specialize

Members don't see this ad :)
Current UNLV DS 2 here, I think if u are top 25% here then it's pretty good chance (of coz depends on the specialities and locations etc). A common thing we often hear is if u want to specialize u usually get to go.

A little explanation on that is, if u work it out the academic classes and clinical requirements and did well enough then it's fair for ppl to specialize. However UNLV is known for providing clinicians.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Current UNLV DS 2 here, I think if u are top 25% here then it's pretty good chance (of coz depends on the specialities and locations etc). A common thing we often hear is if u want to specialize u usually get to go.

A little explanation on that is, if u work it out the academic classes and clinical requirements and did well enough then it's fair for ppl to specialize. However UNLV is known for providing clinicians.

Thanks for contributing hugomaaf. So what you are saying is UNLV is a fine place to pursue a specialty after graduating at but its just not as common?

I think it would be put u in the same spot as in other dental school unless u go to Harvard or Ivy schools

It is the student, not the school.

Reactions: 1 users