proposed NY podiatry legislation

Started by JEWmongous
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At nYCPM the pass rate is based on the number of people that took the test not the total number in the class.

I do not know how other schools reprot their rates.

The NBPME does not publish or report pass rates of each school. So it is not up to them on how to report them.

That is why the key is "first time pass rates." Indicating it is their first sitting. I'm sorry Feli but I think that your theory is not accurate. There is a meeting on Monday to discuss these issues. The big ones are why schools that used to score 90s before the board scandal now score 50s. (maybe b/c they cheated.)
 
...There is a meeting on Monday to discuss these issues. The big ones are why schools that used to score 90s before the board scandal now score 50s. (maybe b/c they cheated.)
A meeting at DMU?

I'd think it'd be hard to have an APMSA or AACPM meeting because it's match day?

Either way, I'm sure you'll let us know what the consensus is... and why DMU is more superior than ever 😀
 
A meeting at DMU?

I'd think it'd be hard to have an APMSA or AACPM meeting because it's match day?

Either way, I'm sure you'll let us know what the consensus is... and why DMU is more superior than ever 😀

Match day at the schools is tuesday. the match is finalized and mailed monday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A meeting at DMU?

I'd think it'd be hard to have an APMSA or AACPM meeting because it's match day?

Either way, I'm sure you'll let us know what the consensus is... and why DMU is more superior than ever 😀

No the big wigs are meeting in Orlando. I believe that the info was in the NBPME newsletter that recently came out.
 
krabmas i didnt think of the fact that gre and dat scores are not compared. But the gpa's still seem to be close to be producing such a disparity.

Do you really think though that there are students going into pod programs believe that they can get into any respectable res. with a c average through pod school? I mean are there even residencies you can get into with less than a 3.0?

I think i should just stop looking at the stats. There seem to be too many word games involved with them in how they are presented by the schools. Perhaps i will just worry about the numbers in my own gpa as ultimately those will be the only ones that matter!?!!!?
 
krabmas i didnt think of the fact that gre and dat scores are not compared. But the gpa's still seem to be close to be producing such a disparity.

Do you really think though that there are students going into pod programs believe that they can get into any respectable res. with a c average through pod school? I mean are there even residencies you can get into with less than a 3.0?

I think i should just stop looking at the stats. There seem to be too many word games involved with them in how they are presented by the schools. Perhaps i will just worry about the numbers in my own gpa as ultimately those will be the only ones that matter!?!!!?


Yes definitely just worry about what you need to do to get the best residency for you.

As a first year student when the administration and alumni come into the school and tell you that they were C students or some of their very successful classmates were C students and you do not have to go stressing about getting A's wouldn't you want to believe that.

They never say that you'll get the best residency, but they make it seem like there are so many out there that it is not that competative.

Remember I entered before SDN had a pod forum and before there was a change to PM&S 24 and 36. So it was pretty easy to buy into this until I started shaddowing pods that I wanted to emulate who were top in their class and such.

Also the administration tells us that we will not be dealing with life or death issues and how relaxing a career this is. More fallacies for the future of podiatry.


There are plenty of residencies that take students with less than a 3.0 but they are not the top programs.

I'm starting to think the minimum GPA to graduate from pod school should be a 3.0.

The difference between a 3.0 and a 3.3 from undergrad is huge. the 3.0 student usually did not get all B's - this is the inconsistant (typically) student that got A's in a few classes and B's and C's in other classes. Maybe C's in organic chem and then A's in some easy classes that they picked up to raise the GPA.

The 3.3 student got more A's and less C's usually.

Just think if you had a 3.0 and wanted to raise it to a 3.3 before you graduated what kind of grades you'd have to get. It depends on how many credits you already have but almost a 4.0 would be necessary to raise it.
 
I'm starting to think the minimum GPA to graduate from pod school should be a 3.0.

The difference between a 3.0 and a 3.3 from undergrad is huge. the 3.0 student usually did not get all B's - this is the inconsistant (typically) student that got A's in a few classes and B's and C's in other classes. Maybe C's in organic chem and then A's in some easy classes that they picked up to raise the GPA.

The 3.3 student got more A's and less C's usually.

Just think if you had a 3.0 and wanted to raise it to a 3.3 before you graduated what kind of grades you'd have to get. It depends on how many credits you already have but almost a 4.0 would be necessary to raise it.

I would agree with this. When I did my masters degree, C's were not acceptable. You had to maintain a 3.0 or could not get the degree and the same is true for for a PHd in this program. They demanded exellence and so should Pod schools since being a pod is dealing with people that can be hurt if someone is bad at what they do whereas doing biochemistry in a lab can only hurt yourself if you're an idiot.
There were pity grades in this program either. You had to earn your grade without the hope of a curve. So I am all for better standards at the schools.
 
I'm sorry to say that I don't think raising the GPA is the answer. The only schools that this would effect would be DMU and AZPod. I say this b/c they are the only two schools that cannot curve the curriculum grading b/c the course are integrated. Don't you that other schools will just lower the expectations? A 3.0 would be the equivalent of a 2.0. Cheaters will always cheat. I think that tighter control of the curriculum and a forced integration with a DO/MD program is a better answer.
 
I'm sorry to say that I don't think raising the GPA is the answer. The only schools that this would effect would be DMU and AZPod. I say this b/c they are the only two schools that cannot curve the curriculum grading b/c the course are integrated. Don't you that other schools will just lower the expectations? A 3.0 would be the equivalent of a 2.0. Cheaters will always cheat. I think that tighter control of the curriculum and a forced integration with a DO/MD program is a better answer.

I think new people at the non-integrated schools is the best answer. New fresh faces with new ideas and not stuck in the old is what some schools need.

I agree that the older schools are trying to maintain podiatry as a pallative care field. I've been told this to my face by one of the Deans - they do not know what has come of the profession, and if we wanted to be medical doctors we should have gone to MD school not podiatry school.

Then from another Dean we get questioned on HTN meds in surgery case presentations. And told that if we want to be called equals to MDs than we need to know our stuff.

Talk about going to a schitzo (sp) school?
 
New York state is one of the remaining strong holds of opposition to the advancement of the profession. If we can get this action there it would be another great victory for the profession.

I am pretty confident these issues will pass.
 
Hey all,
It would be awesome if the scope of practice legislation passed in NY, no doubt. However, I think that bills to increase the scope to the ankle has been put in the NY assembly a few times and still failed (including last year). Any reason why this year should be different?