Pros and Cons of life as a Navy Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam022

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if someone with experience could provide their views of the pros & cons of life as a Navy Pharmacist. I am considering the Navy's HSCP for pharmacy students and looking for some honest opinions.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

No shipboard deployments until you're a little higher in rank. Pharmacists aren't onboard the carriers, etc, just on the hospital ships (I think there are 2?).

I looked into it until the recruiter said that pharmacists can deploy, but it's with the Marines. No way I was going to be able to sell that to the family. ;)

It's pretty decent pay, especially when you get out at 20 years and collect that pension. You can pursue other avenues and still collect a nice government check at that point.

Assuming you don't get deployed, you're looking at a hospital location for your main billet, which is pretty posh compared to other places Navy personnel have to work.

Reactions: 1 user
No shipboard deployments until you're a little higher in rank. Pharmacists aren't onboard the carriers, etc, just on the hospital ships (I think there are 2?).

I looked into it until the recruiter said that pharmacists can deploy, but it's with the Marines. No way I was going to be able to sell that to the family. ;)

It's pretty decent pay, especially when you get out at 20 years and collect that pension. You can pursue other avenues and still collect a nice government check at that point.

Assuming you don't get deployed, you're looking at a hospital location for your main billet, which is pretty posh compared to other places Navy personnel have to work.

Did the recruiter say what the pharmacist would have to do if deployed with the Marines?

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that you'd still be performing pharmacist duties, just out in the sand box. I didn't mind that possibility when I was younger, but I personally have done my time.

Caverject's posts are probably a pretty good idea of what to expect. I know he's Army, but he may have worked with some USN pharmacists.

I think the Navy's HPSP allows you to add those 2 years in school towards retirement (so you'd only have to do 18 years instead of 20 years if you do a navy career for full benefits). The AF HPSP does not do that, and as far as I know the Army doesn't offer HPSP to pharmacists. That is the biggest selling factor imo.

Don't join the military if you're not willing to do deployments. It's the nature of the beast and nobody wants a cry-baby who sits around complaining they were deployed.

Did the recruiter say what the pharmacist would have to do if deployed with the Marines?

Forgot to answer this. The Corps does not have its own medical side of the house, so any deployments they go on the Navy sends their medical personnel. That includes pharmacists.

How competitive is it to secure a pharmacist position with the Navy? New grad here with 1 year of intern exp in retail and going to be 1 year of pharmacist exp in retail/telehealth and some hospital

How competitive is it to secure a pharmacist position with the Navy? New grad here with 1 year of intern exp in retail and going to be 1 year of pharmacist exp in retail/telehealth and some hospital

It's extremely competitive. Honestly with those stats I would consider it little to no chance. I know this because my best friend was a medical recruiter for the Navy a couple years ago, including pharmacists. They take probably 1-2 per year. At the time I had about 5 years retail experience and he was telling me they wanted hospital/clinical experience. However, you should find your local Navy recruiter and ask them. Make sure you get ahold of the Navy Medical Recruiting office. Otherwise those enlisted recruiters will try to sell you on going enlisted first, then trying for commission. Bad idea.

It's extremely competitive. Honestly with those stats I would consider it little to no chance. I know this because my best friend was a medical recruiter for the Navy a couple years ago, including pharmacists. They take probably 1-2 per year. At the time I had about 5 years retail experience and he was telling me they wanted hospital/clinical experience. However, you should find your local Navy recruiter and ask them. Make sure you get ahold of the Navy Medical Recruiting office. Otherwise those enlisted recruiters will try to sell you on going enlisted first, then trying for commission. Bad idea.
what if im an officer in the reserves for the Navy along with civilian pharmacist job

which branch is it easiest to commission into as a pharmacist with no residency?

What about USPHS?

Navy pharmacists do not deploy with Marines - Navy Corpsman do. Pharmacists may deploy overseas with fleet hospitals or be individually assigned to an overseas area where other services have been deployed. They may have the opportunity to serve on the Mercy or Comfort (hospital ships) for a couple of months if those ships are deployed. Otherwise they generally serve at a MTF (military treatment facility) in the US or overseas ( in the pharmacy) or may serve in various administrative positions as they get more senior in the ranks.

The pros and cons have change over the past 20 years. Cons - retirement system has changed but is still better than many (including having TRICARE for a form of healthcare coverage) - also, many of the Officers leaving the service are either not being replaced or are being replaced with civilian/contract potentially resulting in a lack of mentors for junior officers and leaving significant duties for those that remain in uniform.

Last edited:
I’m not aware that residency is a requirement for acceptance. I can’t speak on the AF or Navy, but I can tell you Army Reserve is very competitive. Right now we are considered over strength for our MOS. Having said that, you don’t lose anything by applying. Just know that the process is long and tedious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not aware that residency is a requirement for acceptance. I can’t speak on the AF or Navy, but I can tell you Army Reserve is very competitive. Right now we are considered over strength for our MOS. Having said that, you don’t lose anything by applying. Just know that the process is long and tedious.

Reserve is 1000% more competitive than for active duty since most people would rather keep their civilian job and do the Army thing on the side.

Not to mention it's too late until late next year to apply for Army.

To give you an idea for Army, last year there were six slots for Reserve and all of those were cancelled before the selection board even began. This year there is zero mission for pharmacists in the Army Reserve.

Reserve is 1000% more competitive than for active duty since most people would rather keep their civilian job and do the Army thing on the side.

To give you an idea for Army, last year there were six slots for Reserve and all of those were cancelled before the selection board even began. This year there is zero mission for pharmacists in the Army Reserve.
how many slots for active duty? Given my stats how would you rank my competitiveness for an active duty commission next year?

I'm planning to get a reserve officer role in the meantime with my pharmacist job.

Given the current civilianization of most of the health professions, it's not going to be easy unless they had prior enlisted or officer experience. It's at the side of the pendulum like it was during the William Cohen days.
if I am a new grad in retail pharmacy (3 letter), and have 1 year officer reserves experience by the time I apply, would I be a competitive candidate? Do they look at pharmacy school GPA? I was Rho Chi. Pharm GPA 3.7. 3.9 for UG. How many years of officer experience makes one competitive?

I have lots of pharmacy research and 1+ year of retail intern under my belt. ---> Do they consider pharmacy research?

how many slots for active duty? Given my stats how would you rank my competitiveness for an active duty commission next year?

I'm planning to get a reserve officer role in the meantime with my pharmacist job.

Last year I don't know, this year was 13. Both AMEDD recruiters I know said this year was more than they had ever seen and they've been doing it for a long time. From what I've heard, it's typically 3-4. One year as a reserve officer in an unrelated field is hard to say. I'm up for this years board and I have 9 years enlisted prior service and 9 years as a pharmacist with mixed retail and inpatient experience and I'm a little concerned that I may not be selected.

If you're already a Naval officer in the USNR you're going to have to have more trouble getting into another branch. That process is far more complex than I know. You'd have to get a conditional release, amongst other things.

Reactions: 1 users
Last year I don't know, this year was 13. Both AMEDD recruiters I know said this year was more than they had ever seen and they've been doing it for a long time. From what I've heard, it's typically 3-4. One year as a reserve officer in an unrelated field is hard to say. I'm up for this years board and I have 9 years enlisted prior service and 9 years as a pharmacist with mixed retail and inpatient experience and I'm a little concerned that I may not be selected.

If you're already a Naval officer in the USNR you're going to have to have more trouble getting into another branch. That process is far more complex than I know. You'd have to get a conditional release, amongst other things.
thank you. would u say the USPHS is easier to get commissioned into?

Weird, I boarded last year FY21 for Army Reserve and my recruiter told me that they put me on the OML. He didn't say anything about those AR slots were cancelled ! Oh well, I guess the end result is the same though hehe.

Weird, I boarded last year FY21 for Army Reserve and my recruiter told me that they put me on the OML. He didn't say anything about those AR slots were cancelled ! Oh well, I guess the end result is the same though hehe.

Yeah, they were cancelled. @DangGS3 could attest to that. Their packet was cancelled because of it.

Yeah, they were cancelled. @DangGS3 could attest to that. Their packet was cancelled because of it.
My mistake. I got the time mixed up. I boarded in 2019 for FY20 and was put on the OML. Tried again last year, got all documents updated and just like you said, there was no board. I was wondering why my recruiter was working to update my package then all the sudden they told me there was no mission for FY21.

Anyone know the competitiveness of IHS pharmacist jobs for new grads with only retail exp/no residency, but lots of research and some volunteering with underserved pops?

I’m sure you could get an IHS position. There are plenty of those open, but most are in the middle of nowhere. Look at the openings on usajobs, and Google the locations to give you an idea. Just apply to a bunch of them. You might get a hit for an interview.