Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You know, that really baffles me. I just graduated from CCOM and our clinical rotations were pretty damn amazing.
??? CCOM didn't just add 100 new students, 14 years after being founded. Apples? Oranges.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You know, that really baffles me. I just graduated from CCOM and our clinical rotations were pretty damn amazing.
??? CCOM didn't just add 100 new students, 14 years after being founded. Apples? Oranges.
In context:That was AZCOM, CCOM went from ~175 to 200 for the class entering this fall.
I concur. AZCOM has a great first two years, but believe me, the lack of rotations is far, far, far more important. You're not going to get good ones through the school, and for third year, you have to do your rotations where the school sends you. With a class size of 250, they are sending people to other states, and said people get no choice in the matter. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.
You know, that really baffles me. I just graduated from CCOM and our clinical rotations were pretty damn amazing.
??? CCOM didn't just add 100 new students, 14 years after being founded. Apples? Oranges.
In context:
It really seems this anti-DO Down posts are written by the same person with new screenames andonly 2 posts.. and they have an agenda. I'm very curious as to how this turns out.....
Futhermore, I'll put my education up against yours any day. And if you haven't taken Step I yet...I'll be glad to release my board score next year to a neutral 3rd party and have it compared to yours and I'll bet my last dollar it will top yours by at least 20 points (if we are talking USMLE). so you're willing talk it let's see how strong your convictions are. otherwise stick to talking about what you know...which, based on your posts, isn't much.
As an RVU student as well I can tell you that the former poster is ill informed at best and at worst is flat out fabricating this notion that we are on a sinking ship or that we need the AOA to bail us out. I guess he or she was at the meeting but didn't get the memo.
As for you, you have no idea what you are talking about. NONE. the fact that you stated it was at the whim of our financial backer so he could turn a quicker profit is ludicrous? Really you'd do better to keep your mouth shut about things which you, at best, know a fraction of the story. Do you also go out and start prescribing beta blockers after you sit in on a pharm lecture as well?
Futhermore, I'll put my education up against yours any day. And if you haven't taken Step I yet...I'll be glad to release my board score next year to a neutral 3rd party and have it compared to yours and I'll bet my last dollar it will top yours by at least 20 points (if we are talking USMLE). so you're willing talk it let's see how strong your convictions are. otherwise stick to talking about what you know...which, based on your posts, isn't much.
So why wouldn't you make that bet based on the COMLEX? You do go to a DO school..
Well because he doesn't go to DO school and I'm going to take both the COMLEX and the USMLE to keep my options open for residencies.
he's gonna get a 280, for sure.
he's gonna get a 280, for sure.
I honored that you have my quote in your signature BTW...I hope you took it to heart.
I think you miss the irony.

no I think it's lost on you.
You put down RVU, but what about the school you're attending?
When?
For those you that mentioned that you pick a schools quality based upon rotation matching. It totally makes sense. But, what is the best way to seek out these findings? I have gained some insight from this thread, but I am not sure where to go from here from more info on that.
Btw, for those that posted long reviews. Thank you! That will definitely be a golden tool for me in admissions this year.
Rotations and matching are two separate events.
Rotations are what you do in a hospital during years 3 & 4. Things to look for: Does the school have long, healthy relationships with local hospitals? Are you expected to arrange your own rotations? Will you be expected to move to another city and/or state for years 3 & 4? Will you be expected to move during those years as well, as rotation sites change? Do you have to come back to the school for exams, if so? Are you given lots of time 4th year to do elective (audition) rotations outside the school's system? Is there a long, remote rotation during 4th year that could conflict with residency interviews? Is the 4th year content relevant to your interests, or is there an emphasis on a theme that's not your cup of tea? Are the odds low that you'll be in a large, tertiary care hospital where you'll see TONS of varied pathology? Are you given support during 3rd & 4th year for board study? Generally, you want to know if a school has a history of trouble, or requirements that will get in the way of your goals.
The Match is how 4th year students and residencies are put together. Late in 3rd year and early in 4th year, you're expected to figure out what you want to do, and in many cases, do audition rotations with residency programs that interest you. You then interview with different residencies, maybe November through January. Then you rank programs, and the programs rank you, and a computer does the math. And your future, to which you're contractually obligated, lands in your hands in an envelope at a big ceremony. Match lists are easy to find on SDN. What to look for: if you're interested in school X, does school X match ANYBODY into the specialties you think you might pursue? Was this last year an anomaly in those specialties? Are grads of school X matching into residencies in parts of the country where you want to work? Are school X grads getting into competitive ACGME (allo) residencies, generally, and do you care about that? You can't make assumptions about what's going to happen to YOU based on a match list, but if for example you want to do surgery and the school matches very few surgical specialties, that's good information.
(Note that there's a large rathole you can go down, which is the question of whether you "should" do an "MD" (ACGME) or "DO" (AOA) residency. This question has no universally applicable answer, and the school you choose has much less to do with the answer than your performance there. Whatever you dream of doing now, your performance during the first couple years of med school will determine whether you can realistically pursue that dream. It's perfectly appropriate to postpone choosing between ACGME vs. AOA, in my view, until 3rd year.)
Best of luck to you.
That sounds like a total pain, not to mention expensive. Is this something that commonly happens during 3rd and 4th year at most schools? The constant moving about on your last 2 years sounds quite unappealing to me, are there schools out there that have good rotation sites close enough to the school so that you don't have to move? I don't know if I'm worrying about this unnecessarily, is this just something most med students adjust to?
no I think it's lost on you.
You put down RVU, but what about the school you're attending?
It's private, tied with the Uni. of Utah in research rankings, and not even the top ranked school in Florida?
That sounds like a total pain, not to mention expensive. Is this something that commonly happens during 3rd and 4th year at most schools? The constant moving about on your last 2 years sounds quite unappealing to me, are there schools out there that have good rotation sites close enough to the school so that you don't have to move? I don't know if I'm worrying about this unnecessarily, is this just something most med students adjust to?
I can't express in words just how much of a "total pain" the moving around during 3rd and 4th year is. Worse, you're moving around to go to clinical rotations where the education quality is often (50% of the time) completely substandard, or worse, non-existent. The school knows about this, but, sadly, they look the other way since they simply can't find enough rotations for their students. The competition for rotations spots is getting intense. For example, Touro just lost their main hospital affiliation in the Bay Area (St. Luke's) when another med school became affiliated with the hospital.
Of course, this is only my experience at my school (Touro-CA). I certainy hope the experience of people at other school's is different. In talking to people at other schools, many of the older, more established DO schools seem to have their act together (North Texas, PCOM, UMDNJ, several others, etc.). I think if you do your homework and ask the tough questions as you look at schools, you could avoid some of the hassles commonly experienced at a school like Touro-CA.
When I applied to Touro, I didn't know what questions to ask. I didn't realize the importance of investigating exactly where the third and forth year students were rotating. In general, if you can't speak to a 3rd and 4th year when you visit the school, I would consider this to be a red flag, that would raise my concerns.
Don't be too impressed with the shiny anatomy labs they show you on the
tour. Reliable clinical rotations at teaching hospitals with residency programs, clustered in one geographic region are far more important.
bth
, I'll have the chance to pick a school that is a bit more helpful with arranging quality rotations...Anyone care to comment about KCUMB? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who thinks the new head of curriculum is a bit out of control.
But, who knows. I'm probably just skitzo, I mean she has me paranoid enough to make a new SDN login to even just post this.
Anyone care to comment about KCUMB? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who thinks the new head of curriculum is a bit out of control.
But, who knows. I'm probably just skitzo, I mean she has me paranoid enough to make a new SDN login to even just post this.
Well, that's just it, very few students are going to take the risk, or the time, to speak out on a public forum about anything remotely negative about the school. It's just not worth it, because mostly, it falls on deaf ears, or can get folks into trouble. I will say this, though, experience and observation tells me that you are probably not the only student who thinks the administration may be a tad heavy-handed. It's just that nobody will admit it, unless you talk to them in person and they trust you enough to reveal what they really think. However, if this is the case (I'm not saying it is), there are a lot of schools that share this problem.
Here is one more CON for UNECOM. JUST REALLY BAD LEADERSHIP.
http://sites.google.com/site/unecomconcern/news-aricles
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=280875&ac=PHnws&pg=1
http://www.wmtw.com/money/20675028/detail.html?taf=port
Osteopathic tuitions are the HIGHEST of any med schools in the country and continue to climb.
What's going on?
bth
I know you like to be dramatic about things but please try to get the facts straight. The tution is no higher at osteopathic schools than at other private medical schools in the US. That's a fact. Medical school tution is a nightmare, but it's a nightmare shared by every student.
Osteopathic students, in general, aren't attached to large state schools or schools with massive endowments. That's why we get significantly less money, wouldn't you think? You can't compare PCOM to Harvard, which you're essentially doing. Harvard's endowment is in the billions of dollars where as PCOM's is probably the low-triple digits of millions.Wrong again. Osteopathic student receive less financial aid, and graduate with more debt.
And allopathic schools have gotten serious about financial aid to med students, especially those interested in primary care.
From US News and World report:
The Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine is waiving tuition for all future students who practice medicine and conduct research in primary care or any specialty. The University of Central Florida, which paid all tuition and living expenses for the incoming class at its new med school, is raising money for 120 more full scholarships. The Mayo Clinic is waiving 50 percent of tuition to all who are admitted (some can get more). Harvard, Yale, and Stanford also offer big tuition breaks for students from middle-income families.
bth
Osteopathic students, in general, aren't attached to large state schools or schools with massive endowments. That's why we get significantly less money, wouldn't you think? You can't compare PCOM to Harvard, which you're essentially doing. Harvard's endowment is in the billions of dollars where as PCOM's is probably the low-triple digits of millions.
Oh, and did I mention UNE is due for re-accreditation as of September 2010?
don't get me wrong here - UNE has some really great 3rd year core clinical sites. I did a LOT in my third year and had a great learning experience. Third year core rotations are placed in a core site so you don't have to move around for 3rd year.
University Health is where the campus faculty practices. In essence, UNE has dismissed all the 1st and 2nd year clinical teaching faculty other than the OMM department head and the PhDs that only teach and research. No one to teach OMM other than the department head. No table trainers for second years. No residents. This is the reality UNE is facing with the closing of University Health. Who knows what's going to happen with the OMM fellowship program.
UNE does pay for our rotation sites - but not much. Far less than Tufts or UVermont or Dartmouth pays.
I wonder if they're planning on switching their accreditation status. Why else would OMM faculty be fired so close to an AOA reaccreditation evaluation?
Switching? To what?
There's no way any DO school would meet the accredidation standards for an MD school. MD schools require 10x the faculty. Plus you have to have a hospital.
Actually there are already a few (two that i know of) DO schools that have had LCME site visits.
Which schools were they? Was TCOM one of them?
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.