Pros & Cons of Community Programs vs. University Programs for Diagnostic Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mass_Effect

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages for Community vs. University programs specifically for Diagnostic Radiology. As far as I know, if you're trying to pursue academics or a fellowship, then you need to go into a university program.

Are there any benefits then of going to Community programs?
Do community programs close any doors for IMGs?
If I want to both practice and teach, must I go to a University program?

I'm an IMG, but my score on Step 1 (241) was a few points higher than the 2016 NRMP-reported IMG average for matched applicants (239), so I believe I have a good chance of getting into a community program and maybe a shot at low-tier university programs... maybe.