Protein Synthesis + Messenger (from AAMC 7)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelRW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Untitled.png

This confuses me. Referring to the solution given, I agree that the cells (of the 2 cell embryo) with inhibited translation cannot produce protein necessary for messaging. However, the other embryo whose cells were transcription inhibited should not produce the signal protein either.
conclusion:
Cycloheximide = plenty of translation/mRNA = translation inhibited = no protein
Actinomycin D = transcription inhibited = no mRNA = no translation = no protein

What am I forgetting?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Untitled22.jpg
    Untitled22.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Untitled222.jpg
    Untitled222.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 36
Untitled.png

This confuses me. Referring to the solution given, I agree that the cells (of the 2 cell embryo) with inhibited translation cannot produce protein necessary for messaging. However, the other embryo whose cells were transcription inhibited should not produce the signal protein either.
conclusion:
Cycloheximide = plenty of translation/mRNA = translation inhibited = no protein
Actinomycin D = transcription inhibited = no mRNA = no translation = no protein

What am I forgetting?

if we DIRECTLY inhibit protein production via cycloheximide we get less tissue types than if we directly inhibit transcription. therefore, the signaling molecule must have been a protein. because the direct inhibition of protein production yields less tissue types than simply inhibiting mRNA production, the best answer is protein.

if we DIRECTLY inhibit protein production via cycloheximide we get less tissue types than if we directly inhibit transcription. therefore, the signaling molecule must have been a protein. because the direct inhibition of protein production yields less tissue types than simply inhibiting mRNA production, the best answer is protein.

Thank you PiBond. I wasn't thinking about it in the correct manner. I appreciate your help :thumbup: