Protesting and Getting Arrested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmgrlnxdor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, going to be protesting on Saturday. Will be doing it peacefully, but was watching the protests in DC today and was wondering if anyone knows how being arrested for civil disobedience is viewed by BOPies or for that matter any licensing body like for Physicians, Dentists, etc. Can one lose ones license for exercising their constitutionally protected right to protest?

Members don't see this ad.

So, going to be protesting on Saturday. Will be doing it peacefully, but was watching the protests in DC today and was wondering if anyone knows how being arrested for civil disobedience is viewed by BOPies or for that matter any licensing body like for Physicians, Dentists, etc. Can one lose ones license for exercising their constitutionally protected right to protest?
There's a reason only professors, baristas, and waiters do that thing that is incorrectly termed protesting in modern politics.
Nobody gets arrested for "protesting"

They get arrested for an act that goes beyond protesting.
I.e. Burning something. Violence. Etc.

What the board does depends entirely on the crime committed.

Reactions: 5 users

I would strongly recommend against this for several reasons. Some of them do turn violent ie. Charlottesville. Rocks are sometimes thrown and injuries do occur. Depending on where it is you could end up on a list somewhere via facial recognition software. You certainly don't want that. Last whatever you are protesting against likely won't make a difference. Trump will soon control all branches and from past protests he could care less of what the days' protestors are rambling on about. I know that millennials have been programmed to be activists from 9/11 and the RE crash of 2008 and being broke. Don't get triggered and take the risk for a cause that the media is promoting which will likely not affect you or your immediate family. Play it safe and post something on Facebook or tweet something. Don't risk your future.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I probably won't go to my local march because it's expected to be about 100 degrees, and the park where it's being held has little shade and not much parking. I did hear that one of the reasons why so many people were arrested today was because they were blocking a street when they did not have permission to do so. These kinds of things are usually misdemeanors; it's when people are setting fires, breaking windows, etc. that it encroaches into the felony territory.

What needs to happen is an armed march on these ICE facilities. They can release the people they have detained or die. The 2nd amendment was designed precisely for this kind of government oppression.
How are they being oppressed?

They wont arrest you if you are peacefully protesting in a public place.

But, hey, good for you. This is the issue that is really showing people's values. It's frightening to see how readily some people will fall into openly supporting fascism because their side is doing it. It's time for everyone, even antiideologists like myself, to make a stand. I'm going to be there Saturday with the hippies... Probably singing stupid songs in a drum circle or some nonsense... Not because I particularly want to... It's just the right thing to do. The Trump Administration crossed the line with this Nazi ****.

Reactions: 3 users
If you’re white, you’ll be fine. If you’re a person of color, I would strongly suggest not going. It’s why I’m not going to any of it...I’ll protest at the ballot box.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you’re white, you’ll be fine. If you’re a person of color, I would strongly suggest not going. It’s why I’m not going to any of it...I’ll protest at the ballot box.

Ya, unless you’re throwing rocks through windows and stealing Jordan’s, or antagonizing police and refusing orders.

The deep state is going all in to stop a pro-American president and the public is generally unaware of it. So you are protesting a president who in less than two years has lit a fire under the economy with GDP going to 4%, undid a disastrous health care bill, started a peace process with North Korea, took on unfair trade practices with China and other "allies", nominated a Supreme Court Justice (soon another) and wants to stop illegal immigration. All the while having to deal with a fake Russia investigation. The same immigration policy was present under Obama but the media never focused on it. Now that the Russia investigation is turning up nothing they've become desperate. Beta-males got accustomed to Obama. Alpha-males get this guy.

Thank you for the advice. If participating in civil disobedience, like the women sitting in the Senate business offices yesterday, is a misdemeanor do those need to be reported to the BOP?

Members don't see this ad :)
The deep state is going all in to stop a pro-American president and the public is generally unaware of it. So you are protesting a president who in less than two years has lit a fire under the economy with GDP going to 4%, undid a disastrous health care bill, started a peace process with North Korea, took on unfair trade practices with China and other "allies", nominated a Supreme Court Justice (soon another) and wants to stop illegal immigration. All the while having to deal with a fake Russia investigation. The same immigration policy was present under Obama but the media never focused on it. Now that the Russia investigation is turning up nothing they've become desperate. Beta-males got accustomed to Obama. Alpha-males get this guy.

Oh boy. We got one of those Qanon weirdos on here.

Reactions: 4 users
What needs to happen is an armed march on these ICE facilities. They can release the people they have detained or die. The 2nd amendment was designed precisely for this kind of government oppression.
Hahaha,
I think I got a cramp from cringing so hard.

I for one, don't know whether you keep laughing or be angry at the granola leftists who are pretending to deserve to be angry about kids in tents.

Especially someone like who literally helps to fund cartels that have made Mexico the 2nd most violent warzone on the planet.

Reactions: 1 users
Hahaha,
I think I got a cramp from cringing so hard.

I for one, don't know whether you keep laughing or be angry at the granola leftists who are pretending to deserve to be angry about kids in tents.

Especially someone like who literally helps to fund cartels that have made Mexico the 2nd most violent warzone on the planet.

There are kids in cages, families scattered all over, reports of physical and emotional abuse, and it appears that the government has no plan to actually reunite these families.

I get that you and the rest of team internet neofascist don't want to admit that this is a big deal, but it is. This is one of the most disgusting things perpetrated by the US government on US soil in my lifetime. This **** isn't cute. There isn't some edgy internet comment you can make right now that doesn't make you look really bad for making light of this situation. You can't whataboutism your way of this ****. America is abusing children as official government policy. This is the type of thing that will become a giant national embarrassment for generations. Snap the **** out of your tribalist haze and realize what your government is doing. It is not pretty.

Last edited:
There are kids in cages, families scattered all over, reports of physical and emotional abuse, and it appears that the government has no plan to actually reunite these families.

I get that you and the rest of team internet neofascist don't want to admit that this is a big deal, but it is. This is one of the most disgusting things perpetrated by the US government on US soil in my lifetime. This **** isn't cute. There isn't some edgy internet comment you can make right now that doesn't make you look really bad for making light of this situation. You can't whataboutism your way of this ****. America is abusing children as official government policy. This is the type of thing that will become a giant national embarrassment for generations. Snap the **** out of your tribalist haze and realize what your government is doing. It is not pretty.

Please see my careful usage of the words "deserve to be."

My problem is that people like you who are only joining in on this meme of a Kony 2012 fad because it suits your American political agenda.

The American left didn't care when 300-400,000 Mexicans died in a cartel war.
You guys didn't care that thousands of people, including children like the ones being detained, die on US soil every day crossing the border.

No, you guys only care when it's convenient and it allows you to criticize Drumpf.

The American left are opportunistic vultures that are using those kids to complain about American problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I dunno...maybe the de facto suspension of habeas corpus?
According to Zadvydas v. Davis, when detainment is a stage in the process for deportation, then it is lawful and the writ of habeas corpus does not apply.

I'd like to point out the irony in the two party thinking displayed by WVU.
just because someone disagrees with leftist memes doesn't make them right wing.

To immediately assume so seems.... Almost religious in fervor

White people don't get arrested? At protests?

My problem is that people like you who are only joining in on this meme of a Kony 2012 fad because it suits your American political agenda.

You guys didn't care that thousands of people, including children like the ones being detained, die on US soil every day crossing the border.

No, you guys only care when it's convenient and it allows you to criticize Drumpf.

The American left are opportunistic vultures that are using those kids to complain about American problems.

I'd like to point out the irony in the two party thinking displayed by WVU.
just because someone disagrees with leftist memes doesn't make them right wing.

To immediately assume so seems.... Almost religious in fervor

Blah, blah, I know. All you got is non sequitir whataboutism. You tribalists are so predictable that I even predicted you'd try to whataboutism your way out of it. Deep down, you know those darned liberals are right. This is just flat out wrong what they are doing to these kids.

I'm also not a member of the "left." Stop implying I am.

This **** they are doing is just over the top ridiculous. You can't defend it. Your defense is to complain that the liberals didn't care about some other tangential issue. So the eff what? I have no interest about what the liberals thought last decade about whatever. Right now at this moment children are being abused. We are causing lasting damage to these children. And it needs to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
According to Zadvydas v. Davis, when detainment is a stage in the process for deportation, then it is lawful and the writ of habeas corpus does not apply.

De facto.

They aren't being allowed to claim asylum in front of a judge. They are being told to wait at unmanned border stations. Then after nobody shows up, they go into the country and get detained.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/12/us/asylum-seekers-mexico-border.amp.html

De facto suspension of habeas corpus. De facto is the operative term.

Blah, blah, I know. All you got is non sequitir whataboutism. You tribalists are so predictable that I even predicted you'd try to whataboutism your way out of it. Deep down, you know those darned liberals are right. This is just flat out wrong what they are doing to these kids.

I'm also not a member of the "left." Stop implying I am.

This **** they are doing is just over the top ridiculous. You can't defend it. Your defense is to complain that the liberals didn't care about some other tangential issue. So the eff what? I have no interest about what the liberals thought last decade about whatever. Right now at this moment children are being abused. We are causing lasting damage to these children. And it needs to stop.
If you will stop and read instead of spouting "tribalism" without realizing you're the only one practicing it, you'll understand what I'm writing.

I'm not defending it.
I'm not defending anything.

It's awful.
It shouldn't be happening.

I'm criticizing clowns threatening armed conflict over a minor tragedy.
And it is a minor tragedy being used by Americans like you for political reasons.

You can call it whataboutism if you want, but ask another Mexican besides me if they really care.

Your use of the "whataboutism" meme is the same as "Muh", only I am using it ironically.

You seem to think declaring whataboutism totally negates context.

If you will stop and read instead of spouting "tribalism" without realizing you're the only one practicing it, you'll understand what I'm writing.

It's a minor tragedy being used by Americans like you for political reasons.

I don't really care who wins the political points. I do think Trump is an idiot, but I can't stand liberals, either.

The UN is calling this a human rights violation. So please don't be so obtuse as to pretend that it's just the liberals getting the vapors. The international community is outraged.

UN says US must stop separating migrant children from parents

I don't really care who wins the political points. I do think Trump is an idiot, but I can't stand liberals, either.

The UN is calling this a human rights violation. So please don't be so obtuse as to pretend that it's just the liberals getting the vapors. The international community is outraged.

The UN is liberal.....them being upset just means it’s globally angering liberals

^I don't think it really matters when an entire group of countries is condemning an act like that...

^I don't think it really matters when an entire group of countries is condemning an act like that...

Accuracy always matters in a discussion

That entire group can also ask mexico to let them land on the border and fly those immigrants to their country to grant full citizenship but it seems like they don’t for some reason.....

Allow me to rephrase what you just said.

"The UN only cares about brown people suffering if it's on US soil, on US televisions"

Notice how the UN doesn't address what the people are running from?

Reactions: 2 users
We had a major blow out about this at work. One of the pharmacist accused a technician of having white privilege. The tech was alternating between furiously mad and crying about being persecuted. HR had to get involved.

In case anyone was wondering no this time it wasn’t me reducing a tech to tears!

Reactions: 7 users
I mean is any American anywhere proud of what we are doing with “border control”? Anyone?

It is a human rights tragidy. I literally couldn’t care less if it’s worse Mexico. If we can only make ourselves feel good by comparing ourselves to even greater tragedies, that just makes it even sadder.

Trail of tears. Japanese internment camps. I would say this is our generation’s equivilent of those events (I guess some measure of comfort can be taken from the fact that each event is a little less horrific than the last?) but I am afraid it might be taken as a challenge to do something worse.

Edit: I just realized how horrible “couldn’t care less” sounds. I care. But it doesn’t make me feel better that detention centers in America are better than___________in Mexico. What we are doing is still wrong.

It really depends on the composition of the Board and the charges involved. One of my classmates got arrested for peacefully (and on camera) demonstrating at the Republican Convention and was charged (and convicted) of Disorderly Conduct which was a misdemeanor. No problem. A person I ended up not hiring was arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct "celebrating" the Lakers victory, and the CA Board suspended that person for 180 days. Big problem. If you are going to a political demonstration, free expression, disorderly conduct, and rioting are on a continuum that you could well be in the moral right and in the legal wrong. It's up to you to weigh whether your cause is that just and whether losing means winning.

As a native Arizonan, border control has always been an ugly process which only lately is getting the attention it deserves. All of what you see has been done for over 20 years (yes, the child detentions too ever since the Reagan Administration). The only thing Trump's doing differently is being such a bombast about the issue that it's now in the public eye. There's no good solution though, because we want it all. You can't have open borders in this case. Social services at the border (that includes California) are severely overtaxed, and part of the hospital overpayments in those areas subsidize care. But, we demand their cheap labor (if you eat in restaurants, buy any sort of produce, shop in any store that uses contract janitorial services, you're part of that economy) and we're not willing to enforce against the businesses for immigration fraud.. Yet, we also want to demonstrate both our humanity and our dedication to democratic values. There's no easy solution, and all of them suck.

As far as how we treat the children, it's actually better than the countries they are coming from. Think about that the next time you see them. It's not like they want to end up in detention, but to be desperate enough to tolerate those circumstances really drives home how crapsack a world they are trying to escape from.

I personally draw the line at coyotes, I wish that due process did not apply and that we could summarily execute them as an enemy of the state (I have some personal and professional encounters with their victims which drive my attitude). Same for the cartels runs across the border daily as well. As for the political and economic refugees, we can absorb only so many at a time, we cannot have completely open borders without significantly restructuring our economy and taxation rules. That said, who of us is not a beneficiary of immigration at some point in time if you are US? To ignore the plight as if it couldn't happen to you is to deny your ancestral circumstances landing to this country (even if you're "Native" American due to the BIA policies). How we choose to deal with it is questionable, because our ancestors' circumstances are not ours.

But, I find it completely hilarious that all the crap I used to get in Sweden and Denmark for how crap we treat our immigrants, they themselves are completely overwhelmed with a bunch of immigrants that have become enclaves rather than integrate into their country. The Turkish problem in Germany among those who have been generations within the country, the French and the North Africans, those are much more intractable problems than our immigration from New World countries. We Americans have much more in common and bridge integration much more effectively with the New World immigrants than Europa can with their nationalist cultures with any other culture. To be American is to share a set of values, but to be European, you have to be a people. That's certainly working more in our favor. I make it a point to rub it in whenever I'm in Stockholm or Berlin what a mess they got themselves into with their idea of multiculturalism. I vastly prefer our version.

Last edited:
I mean is any American anywhere proud of what we are doing with “border control”? Anyone?

It is a human rights tragidy. I literally couldn’t care less if it’s worse Mexico. If we can only make ourselves feel good by comparing ourselves to even greater tragedies, that just makes it even sadder.

Trail of tears. Japanese internment camps. I would say this is our generation’s equivilent of those events (I guess some measure of comfort can be taken from the fact that each event is a little less horrific than the last?) but I am afraid it might be taken as a challenge to do something worse.

Edit: I just realized how horrible “couldn’t care less” sounds. I care. But it doesn’t make me feel better that detention centers in America are better than___________in Mexico. What we are doing is still wrong.
Again- not what I'm saying.
Not what anyone but the straw-man set up by WVU is saying.

What I am saying is that it's wrong for only this event to have visibility in the American media and public's 2 week attention span.

It is a human rights tragedy.
It's a horrible thing.

It's also horrible that Facebook activists post a status and donate $10 and think they've "done their part"

On a whole nother level, it goes beyond the pale for an individual who buys the product being sold by drug cartels to then protest the outcome of the actions of those cartels and demand armed conflict.

What I am saying is that it's wrong for only this event to have visibility in the American media and public's 2 week attention span.

Ok I guess? I mean I don’t disagree with you about that. How does that change anything about anything though? You are just bringing to light a separate but kinda related issue.

White people don't get arrested? At protests?

Arrested is one thing. Being disproportionately charged because the district attorney/legal system is structurally racist is another.

Being darker than a shade of brown increases your odds of such a conviction.

If you don’t think so, time to break out the #whiteprivilege hashtag

Arrested is one thing. Being disproportionately charged because the district attorney/legal system is structurally racist is another.

That is the exact term that started the fight at my job! (less the # obviously)

That is the exact term that started the fight at my job! (less the # obviously)

lol, I read that post.

First of all, what idiot pharmacist even brought this up...some stuff you just shouldn’t discuss in a workplace, race and privilege being one of them.

Two...whining and crying about being persecuted? And she’s white? If I could roll my eyes into next Tuesday, I would. ROFLROFL.

I’m sorry Banana Republic ran out khaki pants ::sob::

In case anyone didn’t get my above BR khaki reference....

LingQ

**cant seem to embed this URL**
ht tps://youtu.be/Dcr8dm9Prkk

Remove the space

PS don’t open that link or click that video at work, or if you’ve got kids roaming around and your phone is connected to your mini-van’s Bluetooth

Last edited:
lol, I read that post.

First of all, what idiot pharmacist even brought this up...some stuff you just shouldn’t discuss in a workplace, race and privilege being one of them.

Two...whining and crying about being persecuted? And she’s white? If I could roll my eyes into next Tuesday, I would. ROFLROFL.

I’m sorry Banana Republic ran out khaki pants ::sob::

I actually could not agree with you more. There is not a sequence of events that I can imagine that would lead me to accuse a coworker of having white privilege (or where I would complain about being persecuted, but I expect more from pharmacists than technicians obviously). The fact that a pharmacist thought that was appropriate blows my mind.

I mean is there a world where a six-figure earning person can accuse a low-income person of having white privilege and it NOT break out into a fight? If there is, I have not seen it.

Ok I guess? I mean I don’t disagree with you about that. How does that change anything about anything though? You are just bringing to light a separate but kinda related issue.
Lol.
I was pointing out that the honorable Lord 420 Blazeington was being hypocritical and that it was concerning/offensive for someone like him to call for armed conflict on behalf of the kids.

Then WVU decided to call me a fascist because theyc wrongly thought I was defending the illegal separation of children from parents.
I'm not trying to change anything or make anything better.

I don't see how the impetus for immigration is separate or only "kinda related" to the results of immigration.

I don't see how the impetus for immigration is separate or only "kinda related" to the results of immigration.

More like "I don't see how liberals being hypocritical is separate from the actual issue of immigration". Or do you really, really believe that liberal hypocrisy (totally different than every other kind of hypocrisy?) is the impetus for immigration?

Or perhaps I have so fundamentally misunderstood your posts that we are literally talking about two different things now.

More like "I don't see how liberals being hypocritical is separate from the actual issue of immigration". Or do you really, really believe that liberal hypocrisy (totally different than every other kind of hypocrisy?) is the impetus for immigration?

Or perhaps I have so fundamentally misunderstood your posts that we are literally talking about two different things now.

I'm probably just being grim-dark for the sake of being grim-dark.
Who knows

In my opinion the US is only doing what is rational and necessary compared to nearly every other country. If you enter into another nation illegally you are almost always detained, prosecuted and/or deported and that's exactly what the US government should be doing to those illegally coming into the US. It's just newsworthy when you can tug at heartstrings and misrepresent reality coupled with the fact that the US has such a large scale illegal immigrant problem when compared to other nations. The US immigration system isn't a charity. Not detaining those illegally entering, not prosecuting those who violate immigration laws, and not deporting people who are not here legally is irrational and unjust. Not doing so is an offense against the American people, US national sovereignty (in the sense that our laws don't matter and we have open borders), and places illegal immigrants first before American citizens and legal residents. Nothing about that is right or morally upstanding.

Unfortunately, that's not what your first post said. In my state, pharmacists arrests have to be reported to the BOP. I also would not want to be arrested, cuffed and taken down to the police station. So if your white and this happens, I don't think that's fine. Your statement was racist.

And by the way I do believe the criminal justice system in the USA unfairly treats minorities and the poor. But I also believe that white people aren't the only ones who are racist. Intolerance and racism crosses color barriers and country borders.

Unfortunately, that's not what your first post said. In my state, pharmacists arrests have to be reported to the BOP. I also would not want to be arrested, cuffed and taken down to the police station. So if your white and this happens, I don't think that's fine. Your statement was racist.

And by the way I do believe the criminal justice system in the USA unfairly treats minorities and the poor. But I also believe that white people aren't the only ones who are racist. Intolerance and racism crosses color barriers and country borders.

Uhm okay

The UN is liberal.....them being upset just means it’s globally angering liberals

The UN might be considered a "liberal" organization by American standards, but the United States is a very right-leaning country. In most developed countries, the GOP would be a far-right party and the Democrats would be a centrist party. I'd actually love to see the GOP's reaction to an actual leftist party that was going around going on about seizing the means of production and such. They wouldn't know how to even process it. The Democrats just want your typical Western style capitalism with a larger safety net and they get painted as Marxist extremists in conservative circles.

The UN might be considered a "liberal" organization by American standards, but the United States is a very right-leaning country. In most developed countries, the GOP would be a far-right party and the Democrats would be a centrist party. I'd actually love to see the GOP's reaction to an actual leftist party that was going around going on about seizing the means of production and such. They wouldn't know how to even process it. The Democrats just want your typical Western style capitalism with a larger safety net and they get painted as Marxist extremists in conservative circles.
It’s not a defense to say you don’t want to seize the means of production when your party assumes they should own the profits from the means of production

It’s not a defense to say you don’t want to seize the means of production when your party assumes they should own the profits from the means of production
So you don't think the workers in a company should have a share of the profits in the way of wages? Walgreens is giving a "huge" amount of the money from tax savings to its employees. That amount is 1% of the total they are spending on raising dividends and buybacks of walgreen stock. The republican tax plan is working just as planned. Next step is to cut medicare and social security. I'm sure all the auto mechanics and construction workers can work until they reach retirement age of 68 to qualify for ss.

A simple usage fee for using the America brand seems fair. Think of it like a franchise fee. Does that make those evil taxes more palatable?

So you don't think the workers in a company should have a share of the profits in the way of wages? Walgreens is giving a "huge" amount of the money from tax savings to its employees. That amount is 1% of the total they are spending on raising dividends and buybacks of walgreen stock. The republican tax plan is working just as planned. Next step is to cut medicare and social security. I'm sure all the auto mechanics and construction workers can work until they reach retirement age of 68 to qualify for ss.
I believe every worker is worth only the compensation they agree to in a voluntary agreement with the employer.

If you agree to $10/hr it doesn’t matter if your boss makes $100k or $100billion.....you said you were worth $10/hr