ProTips: here's what helped me score a 132 on CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

begoood95

The Friendly Gunner™
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, I scored a 132 on the CARS section (525 overall), and I thought I'd share what I did to help anyone who's preparing for this beast of an exam. Here it is:
  • If you have a Twitter, follow and subscribe to the AMA Journal of Ethics (if you don't have an account, just make one for this).
    • They tweet great articles about various issues in medical ethics, and I don't doubt this will help in interviews as well if I'm asked about some topics; the scope is broad, and the articles helpful.
  • I used EK's 101 CARS passages, spread across ~100 days. I also had TBR's CARS practice, but I found EK's to be much more similar to AAMC's (and, of course, the AAMC had the most similar practice).
    • The official MCAT guide, specifically, was very helpful in this regard.
  • In addition to my science major, I'm also pursuing degrees in Sociology and Philosophy, which, I think, were indispensable to my success on the CARS section. Now, I'm not saying that you need to pick up a philosophy or sociology major to do well; I do think, however, that reading articles from these disciplines will help.
    • If you're a freshman or sophomore, consider a philosophy or sociology minor. Of course, I'm a little biased, having been engrossed in these disciplines for some time, but, being a doctor is more than being a repository of science facts. The addition of a sociology/psychology section on the MCAT is indicative of that, and, if you're up to it--after doing it myself--I would highly recommend it. Again, this is just a suggestion!
    • One of the best online philosophy websites: Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. The thing is, the AAMC does not test you on philosophy. However, the simple practice of comprehending these oftentimes convoluted, archaic philosopher's writings will make the CARS section seem like a piece of cake (...okay, I'm not going to guarantee anything, but this will definitely help).
    • The journal, American Sociological Review is a great resource as well: American Sociological Review.
      • Again, while this sociology may be more relevant, the idea is to get used to reading these passages, analyzing and comprehending them, then being able to distill them down to what is important and what is not, according to the author.
This is by no means a comprehensive list of things that you can do to prepare for the CARS section. This is what I did, and these are suggestions. I do think, however, that if you use some of these, or a combination of a select few, you'll feel more confident going into the CARS section. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Fellow high CARS Scorer (99th percentile) here.

I recommend getting a subscription to the economist. I also recommend reading classical writers that aren't as easily digestible in terms of vocabulary and content. Hemingway, Frost, Lewis, Twain, Carrol, Poe and Lovecraft.

The more you read, the better off you will be. Focus on understanding the words, painting a picture in your head and really "seeing" what they are writing about. If you can make a mental image of the text, it makes it much easier to reason from and beyond the text.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The more you read, the better off you will be. Focus on understanding the words, painting a picture in your head and really "seeing" what they are writing about.

Exactly this.

And I like the addition of classical writers. I personally did not read people like Hemingway, Frost, etc. because, for some reason or another, (maybe because I'm reading the wrong books?) I can never get into fiction. In other words, each time I begin to read a fiction book, I feel like I'd be better off reading some non-fiction. This is not to say that you can't gain insights from fiction, but I personally haven't really enjoyed most fiction, be it a classic, or something popular :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly this.

And I like the addition of classical writers. I personally did not read people like Hemingway, Frost, etc. because, for some reason or another, (maybe because I'm reading the wrong books?) I can never get into fiction. In other words, each time I begin to read a fiction book, I feel like I'd be better off reading some non-fiction. This is not to say that you can't gain insights from fiction, but I personally haven't really enjoyed most fiction, be it a classic, or something popular :shrug:
Hemingway has a personal meaning to me. But I find that fiction books require more of the critical thought crucial to success in the CARS section.
I find it easy to line up facts in my brain. The real challenge comes from having to adsorb completely novel information. Stories, poems, etc... All written in complex language. It's all a matter of preference though!

Reactions: 1 users
If you only read Biology or the sports section, you'll get a 123 in CARS. Listen to the advice above all future MCAT takers!!

Reactions: 5 users
Just to add to the above, do every practice question and passage you can get your hands on. Be able to pull out a clear main idea and the tone of the writer. These two things will make CARS much simpler and your timing will get much better. Do this with articles and other things you read as well (the above suggestions are great) and make it second nature.By the end I was finishing CARS 15 minutes early on every practice test and it was because I got into "CAR" mode and it was just natural because I practiced so much.

CARS is hard, and it can make or break your score and should not be brushed aside. You guys can do it!

My protip: Get a DeLorean, go back in time and READ as you grow up, you dull child. Like, real books. For fun. CARS was a cakewalk for all of the avid readers I personally know.
semi /s

But really, the advice in here is great (except maybe mine). Learn from it, study hard, best of luck.

everyone i know that practiced 3-5 passages per day + a few articles of reading weekly for at least 2 months got 95%ile + on CARS. YMMV but theres no secrets other than "get better at reading"