Providing resources for letter writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to provide a reflection of my experience / relationship to the letter writer as well as background information about myself. Also, I am going to include highlights and characteristics that I feel were exemplified from my experience.

In some cases, though, I have heard of students writing a sample letter for the letter writer to use as a reference. Should I ask my writers if they would like this to be done? I only want to do this if appropriate, but I also want to provide my writer with all of the resources necessary for a strong letter.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to provide a reflection of my experience / relationship to the letter writer as well as background information about myself. Also, I am going to include highlights and characteristics that I feel were exemplified from my experience.

In some cases, though, I have heard of students writing a sample letter for the letter writer to use as a reference. Should I ask my writers if they would like this to be done? I only want to do this if appropriate, but I also want to provide my writer with all of the resources necessary for a strong letter.

Thanks!
https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a good idea to include highlights and stuff you've learned from your experience with the person writing your letter.

I think (?) it is common practice to provide your letter writers with additional info about yourself. I handed each of my writers a manila envelope with a copy of my resume/experiences, grades in the classes I took with them and a few other relevant related courses, instructions to upload the letter (AAMC letter writer links, making an account, etc), a copy/draft of my personal statement and a short thank you note.

Reactions: 1 users
Providing a resume, CV, draft of your PS. At the very least I always recommend student's in their request for an LOE to include in the email reminders of when you had the course, how you did, etc. So professors have lots of students and after a while they kind of run together

Would you recommend that I offer to draft a letter template for my writer to modify? Or should this only be included if asked for by the letter writer?

Would you recommend that I offer to draft a letter template for my writer to modify? Or should this only be included if asked for by the letter writer?
Unless they ask, it could be viewed as presumptuous.

Reactions: 2 users
Providing a resume, CV, draft of your PS. At the very least I always recommend student's in their request for an LOE to include in the email reminders of when you had the course, how you did, etc. So professors have lots of students and after a while they kind of run together
I think a photo is a nice touch, too.
It will tug at their heartstrings if nothing else.