theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I am planning to provide a reflection of my experience / relationship to the letter writer as well as background information about myself. Also, I am going to include highlights and characteristics that I feel were exemplified from my experience.

In some cases, though, I have heard of students writing a sample letter for the letter writer to use as a reference. Should I ask my writers if they would like this to be done? I only want to do this if appropriate, but I also want to provide my writer with all of the resources necessary for a strong letter.

Thanks!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I am planning to provide a reflection of my experience / relationship to the letter writer as well as background information about myself. Also, I am going to include highlights and characteristics that I feel were exemplified from my experience.

In some cases, though, I have heard of students writing a sample letter for the letter writer to use as a reference. Should I ask my writers if they would like this to be done? I only want to do this if appropriate, but I also want to provide my writer with all of the resources necessary for a strong letter.

Thanks!
https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

Reactions: mcatjelly

neekzg

7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Definitely a good idea to include highlights and stuff you've learned from your experience with the person writing your letter.

I think (?) it is common practice to provide your letter writers with additional info about yourself. I handed each of my writers a manila envelope with a copy of my resume/experiences, grades in the classes I took with them and a few other relevant related courses, instructions to upload the letter (AAMC letter writer links, making an account, etc), a copy/draft of my personal statement and a short thank you note.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Providing a resume, CV, draft of your PS. At the very least I always recommend student's in their request for an LOE to include in the email reminders of when you had the course, how you did, etc. So professors have lots of students and after a while they kind of run together

OP
theonlytycrane

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Providing a resume, CV, draft of your PS. At the very least I always recommend student's in their request for an LOE to include in the email reminders of when you had the course, how you did, etc. So professors have lots of students and after a while they kind of run together
Would you recommend that I offer to draft a letter template for my writer to modify? Or should this only be included if asked for by the letter writer?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Would you recommend that I offer to draft a letter template for my writer to modify? Or should this only be included if asked for by the letter writer?
Unless they ask, it could be viewed as presumptuous.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I think a photo is a nice touch, too.
It will tug at their heartstrings if nothing else.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I think a photo is a nice touch, too.
It will tug at their heartstrings if nothing else.
Giving a puppy or kitten would be going too far

Reactions: Goro

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I would say no as that is taking too much liberty and offend

Reactions: Goro