Psy. D. or LCSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I go for?

• LCSW

• Psy. D.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jpgasp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently about to start my final year of my MSW, clinical track. I am already thinking towards the future, and I have a few questions.

Social work has been a means to an end for me for a while now. I really liked the holism of the person-in-environment approach. That's why I chose to get my MSW (towards getting my LCSW) instead of a Masters of Counseling. However, my ultimate goal is to get my PsyD in Clinical Psychology. My question surrounds my next steps. I'm struggling as to how I should proceed, and whether I should work towards my LCSW to gain clinical experience, or if I should go directly to get my PsyD.

I have talked with a couple of people with differing opinions. Some people are saying that I should get my LCSW because some PsyD programs like to see clinical experience. However, that my be a moot point because a lot of people go from getting their BS to getting the PsyD. Others are telling me that going for the PsyD would give me the ample experience I need.

So I'm conflicted. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

why do u want a psyd?

why do u want a psyd?
I want to know everything I can in understanding the human mind, and how I can help those who suffer. I don't want a Phd because I don't want to do that much research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to know everything I can in understanding the human mind, and how I can help those who suffer. I don't want a Phd because I don't want to do that much research.

Then stick with an masters and just read a lot of books.

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently about to start my final year of my MSW, clinical track. I am already thinking towards the future, and I have a few questions.

Social work has been a means to an end for me for a while now. I really liked the holism of the person-in-environment approach. That's why I chose to get my MSW (towards getting my LCSW) instead of a Masters of Counseling. However, my ultimate goal is to get my PsyD in Clinical Psychology. My question surrounds my next steps. I'm struggling as to how I should proceed, and whether I should work towards my LCSW to gain clinical experience, or if I should go directly to get my PsyD.

I have talked with a couple of people with differing opinions. Some people are saying that I should get my LCSW because some PsyD programs like to see clinical experience. However, that my be a moot point because a lot of people go from getting their BS to getting the PsyD. Others are telling me that going for the PsyD would give me the ample experience I need.

So I'm conflicted. Any thoughts?

If your goal is to be a good therapist, you can accomplish that as an LCSW. Also, I'd do a search on PsyD vs PhD on this forum. There's lots of information. Nothing wrong with PsyD from a good institution but unless you want to teach, do research, or get into some other form of work that you can't do with an LCSW, why bother? I waited nearly 10 years after my MSW to decide to try to go back for a PhD in clinical psych. And now I'm not sure I'm actually going to follow through with it. If you have questions about becoming a good LCSW, PM me. It's easy to be a crappy one, but not so easy to be good at therapy that works. At least that's been my opinion. I think the other advice you got above is sound as well though. If you're gonna do it, now is the time to figure out what it takes to make that happen and do it....not 10 years from now...like me.

In 2-4 years, you'll have your LCSW if you get the right experience, supervision, and pass the clinical exam.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users