Psych Residncy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elupi1994

Reaction score
Hi,

I am non-US IMG looking to match into psych this year

Other than step scores (step 1:254 step 2ck:269) I don’t have any US clinical experience or research

Is it considered a red flag for psych programs? Should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am non-US IMG looking to match into psych this year

Other than step scores (step 1:254 step 2ck:269) I don’t have any US clinical experience or research

Is it considered a red flag for psych programs? Should I be worried?
Your scores are fine. Apply broadly. Research is not necessary but nice to have. No U.S. clinical experience is a bigger handicap. How much I don't know, but it is something you'll be asked about.

From what I saw on programs' websites, most programs want (at least) one letter of recommendation from a US attending psychiatrist.

Reactions: 1 user
Your scores are fine. Apply broadly. Research is not necessary but nice to have. No U.S. clinical experience is a bigger handicap. How much I don't know, but it is something you'll be asked about.
Calling OP’s scores “fine” is quite an understatement. I’m curious to know what scores you would deem “strong”?

If OP finds a way to get US clinical experience and interviews half decently he will definitely match. Hell, he’ll probably match even without US experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Calling OP’s scores “fine” is quite an understatement. I’m curious to know what scores you would deem “strong”?

If OP finds a way to get US clinical experience and interviews half decently he will definitely match. Hell, he’ll probably match even without US experience.
What I mean is they are one thing he or she doesn't need to worry about. Shall I mail OP a trophy? Will that make you happy?

Reactions: 1 user
What I mean is they are one thing he or she doesn't need to worry about. Shall I mail OP a trophy? Will that make you happy?
I’m glad you were there to reassure OP that he doesn’t need to worry about a >260 step average.

I’m glad you were there to reassure OP that he doesn’t need to worry about a >260 step average.
Wow, great zinger. You win the interwebs today.
Look, if OP is as offended as you pretend to be on his or her behalf, then he or she is clearly smart enough to advocate for him or herself and decide what to think. This is not the year to underestimate the match, particularly for IMGs, in my opinion, as an IMG now in practice. Hopefully I am wrong and you are right. Have a nice day.

Reactions: 1 users

If he gets a trophy, we all get trophies. Hope your ready for that.

>260 is a "dream" score for USMD/DO. But residency programs have a higher expectation for non-US IMG.

Many non-US IMG enter medical school after high school. They take 6-7 years to graduate, and their education is more focused on medicine since day 1 from what I heard. They could have practiced medicine for years prior to steps and applying for a residency spot in the US. Not to downgrade their knowledge and hard work, but non-US IMG do have some advantages in comparison to USMD/DO in this matter. There are also issues regarding visa status, English proficiency, etc. Thus, residency programs expect higher steps scores and only sponsor the best candidates.

For US-IMG, the match is a little easier than non-US IMG. Yet, they still have to score very high to stand out as the reputation of medical schools still plays an important role in the match.

Just my 2 cents.

What are your step 3 and step 2 cs scores? If not performed, many FMG friendly places will still screen you out. I interviewed at a place as a US MD that typically took all FMG’s. An interviewer asked me about my step 3. I tried explaining that US MD’s can’t even take step 3 this early. His response was that he can’t recommend me without a step 3. Just 1 example about how backwards the system can be.

Any US LOR’s? That would be another red flag.

If he gets a trophy, we all get trophies. Hope your ready for that.

This makes 0 sense. How would giving a [figurative] trophy to people scoring in the top 10% of a test translate to everyone getting a trophy?

This makes 0 sense. How would giving a [figurative] trophy to people scoring in the top 10% of a test translate to everyone getting a trophy?

I'm part of the trophy culture. If one person gets one we all must get one lest we feel bad about ourselves.

Reactions: 2 users
What are your step 3 and step 2 cs scores? If not performed, many FMG friendly places will still screen you out. I interviewed at a place as a US MD that typically took all FMG’s. An interviewer asked me about my step 3. I tried explaining that US MD’s can’t even take step 3 this early. His response was that he can’t recommend me without a step 3. Just 1 example about how backwards the system can be.
That's crazy... You'd think someone who interviews would know more about how the process works.

I’m at a new community program and one of the screening tool is years removed from graduation as well as medical school. Only certain foreign/Caribbean places are allowed. I thought it was ridiculous and pretentious

I'm part of the trophy culture. If one person gets one we all must get one lest we feel bad about ourselves.

LOL, trophy culture. I would feel bad about myself if I got a trophy and knew I didn't deserve one. :p

Edit: spelling of a word (stupid autocorrect!)