Psychiatry Residencies that say NO to DOs....

Started by snowkhat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't sure where else to ask this, but are these top programs "hard capped" or "soft capped". Meaning NO DO's or only the right DOs. For example, I have begun to gain a strong interest in this field. I came in thinking, no way in hell, and I leave my rotations thinking no way in hell I won't consider this. The pathology, interesting patients, the hours, the opportunities outside of medicine (teaching, research) are very amenable to a comfortable life.

Thats said I have a step 1 254, comlex 650, phd in biochem with a bunch of publications (nature is my top), and a bunch of other mumbo-jumbo. I only mention those stats because I want research/academia to be part of my career, and I know some of the, not necessarily lower tier, but less recognized programs have very primitive research programs. I would love the opportunity to transition to bench/clinical work, but it seems like a lot of the programs (say OSU where I live near) are purely clinical and appear very superficially primitive (although I may not be looking at the right faculty or websites) So would some of these more academic places be interested in an applicant like me, or are they just not considerate of DOs?

I'd imagine having a PhD with legitimate research experience and publications, in conjunction with your step scores, would make you desirable anywhere. I would approach this as realizing anything said about DOs in any particular program doesn't really apply to your situation. Apply wherever you want and go in with confidence.
 
I'd imagine having a PhD with legitimate research experience and publications, in conjunction with your step scores, would make you desirable anywhere. I would approach this as realizing anything said about DOs in any particular program doesn't really apply to your situation. Apply wherever you want and go in with confidence.

I agree wih this. You're a top applicant wanting to do the work academic centers recruit for. And you have the chops to prove it.

You'll get what you want out of the match in psych.
 
I wasn't sure where else to ask this, but are these top programs "hard capped" or "soft capped". Meaning NO DO's or only the right DOs. For example, I have begun to gain a strong interest in this field. I came in thinking, no way in hell, and I leave my rotations thinking no way in hell I won't consider this. The pathology, interesting patients, the hours, the opportunities outside of medicine (teaching, research) are very amenable to a comfortable life.

Thats said I have a step 1 254, comlex 650, phd in biochem with a bunch of publications (nature is my top), and a bunch of other mumbo-jumbo. I only mention those stats because I want research/academia to be part of my career, and I know some of the, not necessarily lower tier, but less recognized programs have very primitive research programs. I would love the opportunity to transition to bench/clinical work, but it seems like a lot of the programs (say OSU where I live near) are purely clinical and appear very superficially primitive (although I may not be looking at the right faculty or websites) So would some of these more academic places be interested in an applicant like me, or are they just not considerate of DOs?

With a PhD in the basic sciences+multiple publications, including one in Nature, plus your Step 1 score you are among the cremé de la cremé of applicants, irrespective of where you went to medical school. Assuming you have a solid 3rd year and aren't completely awkward/arrogant in person, a program would be remiss to pass on you simplu because you do not go to an allopathic school. Psychiatry remains largely uncompetitive, so most applications will likely get read, rather than screened and thrown out for things like "where did the applicant go to medical school" and even legitimate red flags... HOWEVER, and I relay this message to all medical students who ask me, you have to remember that individual people, with their own biases and opinions, read applications and decide who to interview/rank. Thus consider that a training director at a residency program might overlook your stellar record simply because of where you went to medical school.

Good news: Just from my own experience on the interview trail, the following programs, all of which have stellar academic reputations within psychiatry, have taken DO applicants in recent years: Emory, UT Southwestern Wash U, MUSC. Another of my favorites from the interview trail, Vanderbilt has as well. Vandy is not quite as established as the others but the chair and training director, Stephan Heckers, is one of the foremost schizophrenia researchers in the world and over the past 8 years he has been chair has made very impressive strides in elevating the program to the "big leagues" (one of my mentors from medical school who is internationally famous in psychiatry agrees). Dr. Heckers has recruited bright, young faculty from MGH/Columbia who share his vision, and he really wants future academicians in his program.

With your CV, I would apply to all the elite programs, and if you have a particular one in mind, you could do an away elective there. Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator: