Psychiatry Residency ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BearsBeetsBattlestar

CS Lewis
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Input for ranking the following Psychiatry programs?
  • Mather (Port Jefferson, NY)
  • Nassau (East Meadow, NY)
  • Creedmoor (Queens Village, NY)
  • Lincoln (Bronx, NY)
  • Rutgers NJMS (Newark, NJ)
  • AtlantiCare (Pomona, NJ)
  • Baystate/UMMS (Springfield, MA)
  • Berkshire (Pittsfield, MA)
  • Harvard South Shore/Brockton VA (Brockton, MA)
  • Wright Center (Scranton, PA)
  • Campbell/Cape Fear (Fayetville, NC)
  • Arnot Ogden (Elmira, NY)
  • New Bridge/Bergen Regional (Paramus, NJ)
  • SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn, NY)
  • St. Elizabeth's (Washington, DC)

Hi everyone!

I would really appreciate your opinion about the programs that invited me for interviews.

I’m an IMG, and I don’t know much about the reputation of the programs, whether they’re malignant or not and so on.

I’m aware that my choices should be made based on my impressions about the program during the interview. I also have preferences regarding geographical location.

However, I don’t know much about the reputation of the programs and I don’t want to end up in a bad one (since the programs also present a facade during the interview day). I’ve also looked up rankings, but I didn’t get much from them.

Anyway, I’d extremely appreciate your help on this matter! Thanks in advance!

How would you rank them solely based on REPUTATION/QUALITY?

The (psychiatry) programs are:

• Zucker- Staten Island
  • NYMC at Westchester
  • NYMC Metropolitan
  • Nassau
  • St Luke’s hospital - Anderson campus
  • Penn state M. Hershey
  • Mayo Clinic
  • University of Reno - Nevada
  • University of Virginia
  • Rutgers NJ

And: Mount Sinai - Elmhurst (IF offered a pre-match, should I accept it?).

Thank you so much everyone!

I am currently a resident at SIUH (aka Northwell/ Staten Island University Hospital). The psychiatry program at SIUH started in 2013 and graduated its first group of residents in 2017 (one of the residents in the class of 2017 was fired, and another from the class starting in 2013 went into child psych after PGY3 in 2016. So, three classes of residents have graduated from SIUH in 2017, 2018, and 2019.

What I've been able to gather---The current PD is also simultaneously the department chairman--which is insane. He assumed dual positions and has been amazingly incompetent, boring. One of the residents called him a power hungry, vengeful hallway monitor. How did he come to this position? The original chairman got sick and died in September 2017. If you want a malignant program come to SIUH. If you want to spend 3 or 4 years at a program where the curriculum doesn't exist and where you will be lied to by the leadership, then come to SIUH. If you want to get stuck at a place where residents have been brought to tears because of the PD/chairman's favoritism and nepotism, come to SIUH. If you want to see malpractice on the inpatient unit and bad care on the CL service, come to SIUH. If you want an environment where residents play the game and suck up, and where everyone walks on eggshells cause they fear his impotent rage, come to SIUH. If you want a program where the attendings are quitting and leaving in a stampede, and where other office staff are fired or quit , come to SIUH. (An executive administrative assistant was sacked last week and another office manager quit this week.)

SIUH is nowhere near the other programs on your list. If you really have a shot at any of the other programs, take it! Good luck! Did you interview with us at Staten Island? PM me or email me at the address you got from the program coordinator, so that we can talk offline and I can answer any questions you have.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmm don't listen to anybody using their personal experience to deviate you away from a particular program. It's all subjective and the most problematic residents tend to be the most vocal, specially on online message boards.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using SDN mobile

Hmmm don't listen to anybody using their personal experience to deviate you away from a particular program. It's all subjective and the most problematic residents tend to be the most vocal, specially on online message boards.

Zucker Staten island is the definition of malignant. Interviewed there and spoke to current resident who were honest. That place should be avoided at all costs.

And what kind of advice is this? "Don't listen to any anybody using their personal experience..."? Is second hand advice better...or should no advice be taken?

Reactions: 2 users

Your comment isn't relevant in this case and you don't know what you're talking about re: SIUH. Have a nice day.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Dr. Z is right

It's Not Burnout, It's Moral Injury | Dr. Zubin Damania on Physician "Burnout"

Last edited: