PsyD Admissions - Prerequisite Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TikkunOlam

Reaction score
I am currently pursuing a master's in religious studies/theology at Yale University and plan on pursuing a PsyD after graduation. While I have a focus in pastoral care and counseling, I have not completed the prerequisite psychology courses required of PsyD applicants as I majored in an unrelated field as an undergrad at NYU.

There are many MSW and Master of Psychology programs offered online. However, many PsyD programs do not consider online course credits as legitimate and, more importantly, completing another master's degree concurrent with my studies at Yale will surely detract from my commitment to excelling in my current program.

I have concluded that rather than enrolling in another master's program and committing to completing a considerable number of credits, I would be better served to complete only those few required psych courses at a local community college. Local community colleges--Gateway Community College and Southern Connecticut State University--allow students to enroll in individual courses rather than enroll in an extensive degree program.

Will having a community college listed on my application detract from the quality of my application or raise any red flags?

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to add that there's also a big difference between online classes at a for-profit university vs an accredited institution. Especially during covid, the latter is generally acceptable and your transcript doesn't usually specify the classes were taken online.

Reactions: 1 users