Pt schools with no cadaver lab/ simulated lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zjasper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows of any schools with no cadaver lab for gross anatomy or a simulated/ artificial cadaver lab? really want to be a pt but the cadaver lab seriously freaks me out and has me worried.

Members don't see this ad.

The University of Mary in Bismarck ND uses computer simulated dissection (ADAM Interactive Anatomy) and starting this fall will also use synthetic cadavers (Syndaver).

Starting this year MGH Institute in Boston, MA will no longer require full dissections. However, there may be exposure to prosected cadavers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Touro in Manhattan has a virtual cadaver lab, but the Touro in Bay Shore definitely has a cadaver lab so be careful when applying. Keep in mind that once you get over the grotesqueness it might be beneficial (Maybe?).

West Coast University in Los Angeles has no cadaver lab.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I believe Florida Gulf Coast University has a virtual anatomy lab.

wheeling jesuit and university of incarnate word
don't have cadaver labs!

Personally I found cadaver dissection to be an incredibly valuable experience and I would not have wanted to attend a school that did not have it as part of the program unless I had no better options. I wouldn't go to a significantly more expensive school over a cheaper one just for this reason though (although it tends to be the expensive private programs that have gone to virtual anatomy to maximize profit anyway). This is a hotly contested topic, but my opinion is that cadaver dissection is a supremely valuable experience as a physical therapist in training who will be visualizing anatomy and putting their hands on people's body parts for the rest of their lives.

It's only freaky for the first day, everyone is just fine with it by the end. You're gonna be palpating some pretty weird stuff on your classmates, as well as looking at plenty of pictures and videos of wound care, surgeries, injuries etc, and then once you're on clinicals you will come in contact will plenty of bodily injuries/wounds/fluids/discharge/excreta, so you'll need to try to get over any discomfort you have with human bits at some point. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
^ I agree, cadaver lab was extremely useful for me too. Our anatomy prof called cadaver dissection "a rite of passage" for students in the medical field.

Reactions: 1 users