This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spidermonkeyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a physical therapist working for 7 years now and I have this feeling inside of me that I need to change career and pursue my dream of being a doctor. I don't feel PT is cutting it for me, it's not what I want to do as a career in life anymore.

Anyway, I've been lurking into med school websites for the past years here and there but didn't really have the time to do a full research. I just literally started looking them up more in depth now and the requirements needed, seems like the required subjects are about the same for most schools; Biology: 1 year w/lab, Gen chem: 1 yr w/lab, Org chem: 1st sem w/lab, Biochem: 2nd sem, Physics: 1 yr w/lab, Math maybe statistics: 1 sem, English and/or humanities: 1 sem. I know I need to retake the required classes since it's been 7 years since I took them for PT school. Also, I took my PT school in a foreign country so I'm not sure how things will fall out with GPA/transcripts I need to send and what not. I am planning to check out my community college this week and see if I can start taking humanities, statistics, or english classes to begin with and find my way to a university to take the science classes. Or maybe I should stick to CC for now?

I am planning to take the MCAT early next year (Jan-Mar) to see how I will do and have time to retake if needed (hopefully not) and I want to start my AMCAS application in 2018 so I can begin med school by fall 2019. I'm not sure if this plan sounds about right time wise, but I really want to get this journey started. It's already August and most universities I'm looking at has ended their fall registration. I don't want to do a formal post bacc pre med program for financial reasons, I have a family -looking into getting married next year and buying a house soon. I also want to keep working full time until it's time for med school.

Members don't see this ad.