Public health sans MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vanmach

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in transitioning into public health/ infectious disease epidemiology from my current program in basic research (microbial pathogenesis). I am just about to finish my degree. While medical students can choose a preventive medicine residency, does anyone know of options for biomedical scientists? Is there a way to just start doing it, or do I have to pay for the MPH to be considered legitimate?

I have been in school for 5 years already, another 1-2 years does not sound very appealing.

Thanks for any input,
Vanmach

Members don't see this ad.

several schools offer a "graduate level certificate in public health" which includes the core courses of the mph without as many electives or a thesis. these can be done distance learning or in person in less than a year.

Vanmach said:
I am interested in transitioning into public health/ infectious disease epidemiology from my current program in basic research (microbial pathogenesis). I am just about to finish my degree. While medical students can choose a preventive medicine residency, does anyone know of options for biomedical scientists? Is there a way to just start doing it, or do I have to pay for the MPH to be considered legitimate?

I have been in school for 5 years already, another 1-2 years does not sound very appealing.

Thanks for any input,
Vanmach

What degree are you currently working towards? If you're about to complete a PhD in Epidemiology then I don't know that an MPH would be necessary to work in public health (especially if you've been exposed to public health applications in graduate school). Many faculty at schools of public health have PhDs in one of the five disciplines of public health (biomedical sciences, epidemiology, environmental health & toxicology, health policy & management, and biostatistics) rather than DrPH or MPH. You may want to look at where you plan on working (SPH, DOH, etc) and discuss career options +/- MPH. Additionally if you work for a DOH or other public health agency they may pay towards you working on a part-time MPH if they think it would be helpful.

As far as Preventive Medicine, I am only aware of PM residencies for physicians. Residents complete their intern/preliminary year and then are there for PGY2-PGY3. It isn't a clinical residency so most who go that route will do little if any direct patient care. There may be similar options for those with PhD or ScDs though I am just not aware of them. ASPH and ASTPM may be good resources for those questions. For Physicians PM residencies are listed in FREIDA like all other programs.