Publishing research in a low end academic journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rajaredhilu

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a current undergrad premed student. I always hear about how important it is to have papers published in scientific journals if you want to be accepted into med school. I was wondering about the efficacy of submitting an academic paper to a jounal as an undergrad by yourself. Of course I will try to get on any research projects available at my university, but I was wondering if trying to get an independant paper published in a low end journal would be seen as any plus at all for a med school application. I dont have much knowledge on Journals but I have found several online that look possible to get published into as a lone undergrad such as The Journal of Geek Studies. Does this journal and others such as this have an legitamacy with the med school board or will they more likely just laugh at me.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't aim for publications as brownie points for getting into medical schools. Contribute to research that you are interested in, and if you're lucky, research you are passionate about.

Edit: After a brief inspection of The Journal of Geek Studies, please don't.

Reactions: 1 user
If it is peer-reviewed, then it is worth your effort. This "journal" is not peer reviewed (it says so right on the home page).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a note, the importance of research for med school admissions is overstated. If you look at the latest AAMC survey, research is only of low importance for public schools and medium importance for private schools. Only the research powerhouses (i.e., the top schools) will really want to see research experience. And even then, pubs are not really expected since most people won't have them. If you can get a real peer-reviewed pub, that's great. But there are other, more beneficial ways to spend your time.

I have found several online that look possible to get published into as a lone undergrad such as The Journal of Geek Studies. Does this journal and others such as this have an legitamacy with the med school board or will they more likely just laugh at me.
Sounds like it's about on par with The Journal of Irreproducible Results: The Journal of Irreproducible Results (yes, it really exists).

Meaning, the answer is, Yes.

Hello I am a current undergrad premed student. I always hear about how important it is to have papers published in scientific journals if you want to be accepted into med school. I was wondering about the efficacy of submitting an academic paper to a jounal as an undergrad by yourself. Of course I will try to get on any research projects available at my university, but I was wondering if trying to get an independant paper published in a low end journal would be seen as any plus at all for a med school application. I dont have much knowledge on Journals but I have found several online that look possible to get published into as a lone undergrad such as The Journal of Geek Studies. Does this journal and others such as this have an legitamacy with the med school board or will they more likely just laugh at me.
Any publication in a peer-reviewed journal is both uncommon and very good for a pre-med student.

If it is peer-reviewed, then it is worth your effort. This "journal" is not peer reviewed (it says so right on the home page).

Keep in mind even journals that aren't peer reviewed will say that they are (I get spammed by these predatory journals daily). One decent metric is to see if they're indexed in pubmed.

Wow thanks guys, thats a relief. I was under the impression I needed about 5 scientific papers that had my name on them. If in the long run I wanted to get matched in pathology would it be useful to get at least a couple published works