Pulm/CC Fellowship Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi ebus
sorry to hear about the rejections. care to share those rejections. not to bother u but it would definitely help others with regards to where to app.
thanks

Rejections
St Louis
Kansas City, Missouri
MUSC

Members don't see this ad.

Guys . . . seriously, calm down. You're gunna turn yourself into a stressball. The match isn't until June. There is lots and lots and lots of time for all of this.

Stay the course, fellas.

One of my friends who applied for CC only just got an interview at the cleveland clinic. I still have heard nothing. No rejections, no interviews.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied a couple of years ago, the only thing I got before New Year's was an interview from Ohio State (and if I recall, it came after Christmas). Really, responses didn't pick up much until mid-January or so (and I ended up with 10 interviews out of about 22 or 23 apps). So calm down all--they're coming.

good to see some senior members come back and help us. so boomer couple of questions while you are here

what were some of the tricky questions u faced

care to share the names of the programs where u interviewed and help us understand what they were specifically looking the application. it is hard to believe that it would be completely random. but i received a rejection from MUSC (south carolina)

is research an imp part of the application. any thoughts

any thing else you might want to add for us. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

i am reading nephro and ID forums. going crazy nephro seems like getting a lot of interviews. why cant pccm guys be that diligent.

any one getting any interviews or know some one who got interviews in pccm. last year there was some activity with regards to interviews. i am surprised that this year it is still not christmas time for pccm applicants. anyways i am going to call harvard to see if they reviewed my application. i would be fine even with a reject as long as i can know something. this silence is really terrible

word on the street- Henry Ford has sent out IV invitations....

Are those invitations from Henry ford being sent out via Email or snail mail?

Are those invitations from Henry ford being sent out via Email or snail mail?

No idea! its not first hand information. Just wanted to know if any of you guys have similar info.

i spoke to yale and it seems like they also sent out invites. seems like my application is currently being held and not rejected yet. so i guess i have to wait until the first set of guys either agree to interview or decide not to interview. i am sure peoplke would love to interview there. so i was told that i will have to wait until january. after that call i was so disappointed - i decided not to call any more. one reject, one on hold - god knows whats in store for me. surprisingly no one has interviews yet - let us see what is going on.

Hi all,

I am new in forum. I have the same concern regarding silent ERAS! I gave a call to UCSD. I was told they are screening applications and will send out invitations in next few weeks.

Seriously guys, you all need to calm down. You guys know the match is in June right? There is so much time.

I'm not worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
i too agree about the stressing out unnecessary part. however, i am concerned about one thing - if we are kind of substitute players to other people who are dropping out of interviews, aren't we already starting on a different note. we are already considered second grade. so is it reasonable for us to spend so much money (on top of the stress to reschedule calls) to attend an interview where we are already considered subpar. any thoughts on this. this is the concern i am having.

i too agree about the stressing out unnecessary part. however, i am concerned about one thing - if we are kind of substitute players to other people who are dropping out of interviews, aren't we already starting on a different note. we are already considered second grade. so is it reasonable for us to spend so much money (on top of the stress to reschedule calls) to attend an interview where we are already considered subpar. any thoughts on this. this is the concern i am having.

Who's second grade? You mean FMGs? I'm an AMG and haven't heard anything. I've got a reasonably competative application. I will get interviews.

I'm not bragging, just saying, I've not heard anything, and I don't know why anyone else would have either.

Relax, take a big breath and look at last year's thread. There were few interview invited before Jan 1st, I didn't get mine until the 3rd week in Jan.

hi jdh21
i did not say anything to offend any one. I was just curious about the nature of conversation i had. if a particular univ has already sent the invites out and still did not reject me, it means that i am kind of a standby (in waitinglist) incase some one drops out of the interview list. in such cases, if I get an interview just because i am the first one in their stand by list or some where in the stand by list, is that interview worth it. is it worth spending our money on an interview where we are already considered second to a list of candidates. i know we can go and do an outstanding job in the interview (but there is still a biased view or is it just my imagination. any seniors - hernandez can you comment. hernandaz thanks and welcome back.

hi jdh21
i did not say anything to offend any one. I was just curious about the nature of conversation i had. if a particular univ has already sent the invites out and still did not reject me, it means that i am kind of a standby (in waitinglist) incase some one drops out of the interview list. in such cases, if I get an interview just because i am the first one in their stand by list or some where in the stand by list, is that interview worth it. is it worth spending our money on an interview where we are already considered second to a list of candidates. i know we can go and do an outstanding job in the interview (but there is still a biased view or is it just my imagination. any seniors - hernandez can you comment. hernandaz thanks and welcome back.

I dont think its necessarily AMG V IMG.
Two possible reasons for sending out IVSs to some and not to the rest
1. As they keep reviewing the CVs, they keep sending out IVs to applicants they are interested in. May be they havent got to your application yet.
2. Scenario 2- They will first interview the ones they are super interested in- Phds, big name residencies etc. The rest will follow later.

I agree with JDH, its too early in the game for both IMGs and AMGs.
Also it is a well known fact that many programs have T 32 training grants that only Citizens(not necessarily AMGs) and GCs can avail.
Again my $ 0.02.
BTW getting stressed doesnt improve your chances. So chill(easy for me to say, when I keep checking my mail Q2H!!

hi jdh21

I wasn't offended. Posted that in the middle of the night - was tired. Must have came off wrong.

My whole point was that I seriously doubt anyone is getting interviews right now. The culture of the process in Pulm/CC is that invites happen in January. You cannot compare ID or Nephro for instance to this. Just be glad we're not Heme/Onc . . . those guys regularly don't hear anything until like Feb/March.

I guess if people want to stress they can. I'm just not. If I haven't heard anything by February, well . . . that will bother me.

I agree with you guys, we probably get informed around Jan. I am today told by another program in California that they will have a meeting to review applications in mid-Jan. So be calm and enjoy coming days!

Surprising,
I got an interview from University of Rochester right now. First one!

I wasn't offended. Posted that in the middle of the night - was tired. Must have came off wrong.

My whole point was that I seriously doubt anyone is getting interviews right now. The culture of the process in Pulm/CC is that invites happen in January. You cannot compare ID or Nephro for instance to this. Just be glad we're not Heme/Onc . . . those guys regularly don't hear anything until like Feb/March.

I guess if people want to stress they can. I'm just not. If I haven't heard anything by February, well . . . that will bother me.

I am currently interviewing for IM with an eye on PCCM as a future subspecialty. I cannot believe the same thing happens 2 years down the line! All the best to all of you. Hopefully you will match into great programs!

hi rami
congrats on the interview. can you please share your credentials so that way we have a better way to gauge our chances

as for me

94/98/81 - step scores
involved in 2 research projects
poster presentations and 1 abstract publication
IMG - Green card holder
residency in a small community hospital

Last edited:
Thanx folks,

My credential is 85/91/Not taken Step3. Involved in crazy numbers research projects and so many publications. IMG - Green card holder and residency in an university affiliated community hospital.
Hope to see a lot of good news from you guys soon.

applying this year to 60 programs.

got interview from U wisconsin Madison on Tuesday via email.

hoping to get more.
--
IMG bad board score but all first attempt, step 3 cleared, green card
Master degree in one of the best US university.research bench&clinical non-PCCM though; younger than 30 year-old
university affiliated community program PGY2
bad test taker. but never give up :)

congrats coz. good going. nice to see some interview invites coming in. hope to see more in the coming days.

congrats coz!
Confirmed inv. programs so far:
1) U wisconsin Madison
2) U Rochester
Any other one?

Hi every one. It is nice to see things heating up. My friend applied last year and he had all of his 11 interviews invitations in january. I, already had my First rejection from MUSC on Dec/12:thumbdown:thumbdown. The good news, I received my first interview at Henery Ford on Dec/09th :thumbup::thumbup:.

congrats Linnad,

So let's update our list:
Confirmed inv. programs list so far:
1) U wisconsin Madison
2) U Rochester
3) Henery Ford
Any other one?

congrats linnad. can you please post your credentials. it would definitely help the rest of us.

wonderful guys. not bad for an early weekend in the process. congrats once again to all the guys who scored their first interviews.

I too wouldn't want to get stressed out... but am a little concerned by what happened to me just 2 years back...

Will the programs send rejections or leave us guessing?

docvoldemrt,

What's up? You mean you got a rejection? Form where?

No
I meant, silence kills.
2 years back when I applied to IM a lot of programs didn't even bother to send a rejection. I had to call, email, fax, what not.... only to THEN find out that they are either full or are not interested in my application...

It would be nice if they can update the status of our application in some sort of automated way...

You are absolutely right. I had sort of similar experience 2 years ago. However, Let's keep hope in this way that now is too early. I went over all things from last year, I saw they sent out invitations after New Year. So, my friend be please calm and enjoy your life in coming days.

Just wanted to add my experience to help CALM some of you down.

Last year applied to 24 programs. Got interview offers from 14, went on 11. Only invite prior to xmas was Yale, all the rest came in January, and one in early February.

I'm a DO, currently doing chief year. Matched at my second choice.

Pulm/CC is not that insanely competitive. Most of you will likely get more than a few interviews, and will have a good shot, even if you're an IMG at a university affiliated program.

This is a really fun process, try not to ruin it with unecessary anxiety.

Hi folks,

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I guess we will probably see some ERAS activities in coming week. Let's update our interviews list. Any body has received anything?

i guess it is the season of hate than love :). got my second reject from Ohio state.

I got a rejection too!
The Ohio State University Medical Center

Seems like a massive sweeping campaign by OSU.
My first email from ERAS...
Not the greatest feeling :(

hmm - sorry to hear that so many people are rejected by osu. seems like 250 applications with a generic message.

guys, it would definitely help if u can please post ur credentials. format

scores
img/amg
visa status
any research and publications

just for comparison purposes and also to keep the expectations realistic.

Rejection from Washington University St Louis by mail

IMG/GC
90/85/77
5 Posters
1 publication

sorry to hear that sampit. dont worry i am sure we will receive tons of interviews in january. i just wish eras moves the application date to january when the programs would really work on the applications instead of storing them.

by the way what is snail mail.

Hi guys,
Today has been much quieter than I expected. ERAS is showing no activity and people are too quiet!
Any input is appreciated.

calm-down.jpg

Rejection from OSU. It seems OSU is filling positions from iternal candidates. Sorry Kpcal22. I didn't see your message about my credentials.

- IMG / US Citizen.
- Low to mid 80s in all three steps
- Residency in community hospital with university affliation.
- Completed residency 2006 and working as hospitalist for three yrs by now
- Ongoing master of public health ( MPH )
- 5 publications ( not related to pulmonary)
- 3 case reports ( not related to pulmonary)

Today no interviews, no rejections too, which is not bad!