Separately doing Pulmonary and Critical Care fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medroti007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I matched into CCM program in Dec after applying in both PCCM and CCM programs this previous Match. I cast a wider net just because I was out of residency and working as a Hospitalist since pre-COVID. I am thrilled to have the CCM opportunity and looking forward to it. I was wondering if any folks were in my shoes once and did CCM first and then separately did Pulm fellowship? Will love to hear what their experiences were like and whether they recommend taking this longer route? Any Pros or Cons? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations.

I have colleagues out there who did 2 year CCM first then did 2 year pulmonary after
it's a 4 year track at the end of the day.
the 2 year pulmonary programs vary in quality but tend to be smaller programs so you may or may not get the same breadth of pulmonary as you would in a 3 year program. these may or may not be at tertiary care centers.
you might end up doing way more critical care time than if you did 3 year PCCM.

but look at the bright side, you'll be one hell of a good intensivist.

moreover 2 year pulmonary programs tend to like CCM trained physicians since their attendings "have someone they can trust in MICU."

I met quite a few attendings who took this route. Noted that the CCM years really helped. A few 3 year PCCM programs will actually give you a year of credit and allow you to graduate after 2 years. Not sure which ones have that as a "interview and match" offer but several will have that if they loose a PGY 7/8