Pulmonary critical care fellowship Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

netizen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I am new to forum.

Just wanted to start a thread where we can share interview calls and other details about the programs for Pulm Critical Care fellowship.

Today was the big day for all medcine fellowships as they opened for downloading of applications.

I have applied to 30 programs for Pulm Critical care and am an IMG, on visa,

It wud be great if everyone just keeps posting te calls. Also can someone tell me which programs are good, avg, back ups for Pulmo n Critical care, especially for IMGs

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First off, welcome to the forums!
Be a little patient. This is a slow time for the fellowship application period. Most programs won't even start sending out interview invitations for at least another month.

As far as good programs, it depends what you're interested in. Are you interested in academics or private practice? Do you want a program that's better in pulmonary or one that's better in critical care? Also, it depends which area of the country you'd rather end up.

Some of the top academic programs are (in no particular order from west to east):
UW
UCSF
UCSD
Colorado
Wash U (St. Louis)
Chicago
Cleveland
Pitt
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
BU
Penn

I realized I've left out all of the southern programs, but frankly I don't know anything about the south. I'm sure I've also left out some other excellent programs as well. Also, the top academic programs may not necessarily be the best programs for clinical training -- it all depends what you want.

As far as backups or safety programs, it totally depends on which part of the country you're interested in, so not sure if it's even worth listing everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thx for ur replies.. atleast 20 of them have not yet even downloaded my applications,..
I am more interested in Pulmonary part and have Visa issues and hence luking for programs on east coast..

Ne thoughts on East coast Programs??

Also ne body who wud like to say nething about Pulmonary and Critical care fellowship or its applications is welcome

Good Luck to all !!

Hello all,

I am in the Match for IM this year, and I want to do a fellowship in P&CCM. I am an IMG. What are my chances of getting a fellowship in a top program if I match at a community hospital, example-St. Vincent's Indianapolis? The match this year is really competitive. About half of my interviews are community hospitals, and the other are University based. Just the way the invites happened. I know the chances are better from a large University, I would just like to be prepared. Thank you!

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I applied to 25 programs in pulmonary/critical care....so far 1 interview in Michigan. Has anyone else heard anything?

DrWish said:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I applied to 25 programs in pulmonary/critical care....so far 1 interview in Michigan. Has anyone else heard anything?
Congratulations man!! Good to hear that someone has made the begining!! I didn't apply in michigan. Haven't heard frm anyone so faar. I will keep everyone posted. u too keep us posted. Frm where did u get the interview?

Good luck..

Hello everyone,
Just heard from Chicago. :)

lala land said:
Hello everyone,
Just heard from Chicago. :)

Congratulations Buddy.. Hope I wud hear too frm somewhere.. I guess it is still early

GL

Hi guys, how is the interview invitations coming along for everyone? I have comment/question....with everyone using eras to apply for fellowship this year I wonder how programs are weeding through the applications this year, because we all know the application pool has probably increased.

interview at Umass
rejection from OSU (ohio state)

I spoke to about a dozen places in the Midwest yesterday. All of them indicated that they wouldn't be inviting for interviews until after the first of the year (or somewhere thereabouts).

Just got Jefferson, it's my first one. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Cleveland Clinic Send out the first invites!!

good luck!

hey all
i'm applying for a 2007 Pulm/CC spot. I still haven't sent off my ERAS stuff yet...I have everything together except for the Personal Statement. I'm struggling to get the thing to sound the way I want it to.....do you guys think I should just send in what I have because I'm running out of time...or work on it and get it the way i want it. Most programs seem to have deadlines after feb 1...I've seen a lot of March 1 deadlines and a few April 1 deadlines.

I would polish your personal statement, sounds like you have a rough draft....if so all you need is to devote a couple hours to tighten it up.

This thread has been inactive for a few days, has anyone gotten anymore invites or rejections? Keep this thread alive!!

I don't know too much about the New York programs, sorry I can't help you.

I noticed that there is alot of "hits" on this thread but no one has anything to share...I haven't heard from any programs since a few days before xmas. Anyone hear from the southern programs or west coast yet?

ok everyone, if your checking this board, then please do post as to how your interviews are going. We need to help each other out. I applied to 16 programs, had my application complete by mid december. So far havnt heard anything other than an invitation from uva. pretty excited about the program based off their IM rep, anyone have any info on their pulm/crit care program? no rejects yet but im sure they are coming.

Hey guys, gud to see all of you getting enthusiastic abt the interviews and the thread!!

I got one rejection from washington university hospital St. Louis!!
Not heard from any other program. mainly applied in east coast!!

Any one getting interviews from East coast so far??
GL

Hey All,

Just wanted to keep the momentum going.

Rejects---
U. of Colorado

Interviews---
U. of Michigan
Cleveland Clinic
U. of Virginia
U. of Michigan
OHSU
U. of Chicago
Wash U

Best luck to all!

Good job Bacn, you racked up plenty of interviews, did they send out their invites prior or after the new year?

U of Nebraska. Sent out after New Year's....

All of my interviews, except for U. of Chicago, have come after the new year.

me thinks i;m screwed ,too late to apply for the PCCM match.
worried that I should have applied a little earlier.
no replies as yet...... is that normal?
thks

I don't think it's too late, especially if you have a solid CV. Be a little more patient, the next 2-3 weeks will be a little bit more revealing.

one from med coll of wisconsin
and the other from UAMS.
lets see now.

IM resident from a community based program in the Midwest.
Have applied to 18 fellowships so far.

Rejected from U of Michigan - I heard that U of M has only taken one IM resident from a community hospital in the last 5 years.

So far have two interviews scheduled - one for Henry Ford and OSU. Henry Ford came mid December and OSU just emailed me 1/12.

Good luck to everyone on the interview trail.

I haven't heard anything for some time now.
rejects-
OSU
invites-
Umass
Henry Ford

I haven't heard from anyone else since Dec., should we start assuming if we don't hear from programs that we're rejected?! I haven't pushed the panic button yet, but I'm thinking about applying to a few more places just in case. Opinions anyone?

DrWish,
impressive- UMass !when did you apply?
still waiting for my 4th LOR to be uploaded.
didnt apply to henry ford,dont want to get killed/mugged/raped on the way (bad campus,i heard)!
GL

So Far I Have Not Heard From Anyone For More Than A Week.
Rejections:
Osu
U Of Michigan
Wash Uni (st. Louis)
U Of South Florida
Usc
U Connec.
Uc Davis
Hernry Ford

Interviews
Cornell
Cleveland Clinic

Should We Call The Programs Now Or Wait Another Week?????

I think it's still pretty early to start calling. The fellowship director at my program said that they don't begin even looking at apps in earnest until Jan 15th. I am still waiting on one letter and I haven't heard from anyone yet. Application certified about 5 days ago.

I think a lot of interviews will be later than I initially expected. OSU interviews are anywhere between March and June. I thought all inteviews would be done by early May. Hopefully more interview offers will come after the MLK holiday.

Just my thoughts.

interviews:
chicago
denver

no rejects yet

considering that i haven't even heard from my own program yet, i'm not too worried that i haven't heard from most places. i'm assuming that they have to interview me at my home program...

add to interviews:

Emory
U. of Iowa

No new rejections.

UMich
OHSU
UPittsburgh
thanx and good luck!

posting to keep this thread active - still waiting on interviews, its getting a bit frustrating. I applied to all south east programs, interview so far only at uva by snail mail, no rejections yet. from the other active posters on this board, doesnt seem like anyone has heard anything from the south east programs like wake forest, unc, mcv, vandy, musc, dc programs - gw, georgetown. Anyone have any insight on any of these programs? how strong are they? When will they be letting us know?

Hi, I'm knew to the game. I applied to 30 pulmonary and critical care programs. So far I was rejected by OSU last month. Whats going on? Is it still early or should pack it in for the year? Seems like alot of you are getting a response of some sort(rejection vs invite). Just wanted some input since I haven't heard from programs one way or another.

First interview today at Michigan by email. No rejections yet.

Hey all,

Posting after a long time!! It is getting little frustrating. 4 rejections so far..Indiana, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State and Washington Univ St louis.

1 call only...

I think nxt 2 weeks wud be important as most wud start interviewing by late feb or early march, so they need to send out interviews.
I guess we will keep our fingers cross.

Good Luck!!

Hey guys,
I'm still confused, alot of you guys are getting invites from places i applied too that I haven't heard from, or you guys are getting rejections from places I haven't heard from. I'm starting to think that maybe programs don't have my application!!! or that I'm in the maybe pile. If any of you guys have some info. regarding the selection process please share, thanks.

i really dont know how the programs are moving, why only a few select calls are going out...no more replys.
anyways non OHIO guys dont apply to OHSU-a rjection is almost definate.
sick of the uncertainity.
anyone called from med coll of wisconsin?
gl guys and get more members.

Just got called by Drexel in Philly - they have interviews between Feb-May. Has anyone else applied there? There is very limited information on the program on the web - besides on FREIDA. Anyone from around there or know anything about the program (the good, bad or ugly)?

I still haven't heard anything from any of the programs with the exception of my one rejection mid-december from OSU.

Do any of you guys know if doing hospitalist work for a couple years and then re-applying for fellowship with hurt, improve or not really change your chances for matching?

applied to 30 programs and have everything sent off about a week ago. just got a rejection from Emory.

Spyrogyra...I don't think you applied to late. The match isn't until June 21st...2 guys I know applied ealry december and they've only heard from 2 programs with a few not even downloading yet.

Univ of Chicago interview offer yesterday (email)

UCLA- yesterday via email.
Applied only in Cali and no other interviews yet.

How do you guys rank these 3 programs? :confused:
1. University of Michigan(UMich)
2. University of Pittsburgh(UPMC)
3. Oregon Health&Science (OHSU)
Thanx and good luck!

Funny thing happened to me. I got a rejection email with the blah, blah - we have only 4 positions and offer 30 interviews. I'm reading the email and I get to the end and it is not signed. I look at the beginning and asked myslef - Who just rejected me? The only reason I found out was the email address - by the way it was from Wayne State. Anybody else have a similar experience?