Pulmonary critical care fellowship Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the same rejection, my application is on "hold".....but i had to trace back via by email address as well, kinda funny.

Members don't see this ad.

ITE said:
How do you guys rank these 3 programs? :confused:
1. University of Michigan(UMich)
2. University of Pittsburgh(UPMC)
3. Oregon Health&Science (OHSU)
Thanx and good luck!

My friend trained at UPMC-good program.

invited to Ohio State
rejected now at emory, Univ. South Fl., U Colorado

Members don't see this ad :)
spyrogyra1 said:
My friend trained at UPMC-good program.
Thanx for info. I heard the same from another fellow there, was happy with the program.
Good luck

good luck to all
I have so far:
Oregon Health Sciences
Boston University
U of Chicago
UCLA
UCSD
Brown

hopefully some more to come in Chicago?
Any info on UCLA or UCSD? I am debating on going to these due to expenses and my wife wants me to be selective.
Thanks

Any word from U of Minnesota, Mayo-Rochester, or U of Wisconsin??

Interviews:
Jefferson - Philadelphia
Drexel - Philadelphia
Cornell - NY
Beth Israel - NY
St. Elizabeth - Boston
Rejected:
Hopkins
I called several programs, most say that they haven't started calling people yet.

rejections:
Ohio state
University of south florida
Wayne state
Emory
Colorado
Iowa

Invites:
none :(

interviews:
hopkins
cornell
chicago
denver
boston u
nyu
ucla
ucsd

no rejects yet

Rejections- Washigton Univ, Hopkins, CCF, Indiana, USC,
Interview- Wayne state

It has been a bad run for me.!

Any body hearing from Baylor or new york programs?? Do you think that interviews will still come?

GL to all of you

Can't be as bad as my run, at least you have interviews!!!
Do you guys have a lot of research under belt?

Road runner said:
Can't be as bad as my run, at least you have interviews!!!
Do you guys have a lot of research under belt?

I think what we are seeing is the difference btween the AMG and the IMG factions(?)
I have only applied to programs that will take me on my present H1B
have 3 interviews till date-out of which one is from my place( so a pity IV ,I guess , since I didn't work too hard to connect to the right people(PD etc) in the program.
Have not recieved any rjections besides an instantaneous one from OHSU.
i dont have any resarch at all, but a few Indian publications( case reports).
Have written a nice PS (my wife thinks so).
CV is average- have scores in mid 90s.
what more? getting older, balder and fatter.
If things dont work out ,will try to switch to hospitalist or may even change my visa to J1 then.
"There is a saying in Hindi- If god has given you a mouth ,then dont worry, he will surely get you some food too".
GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys

invited to Ohio State, U nebraska, U illinois
rejected now at emory, Univ. South Fl., U Colorado, UCLA

glad to see everyone is getting some interviews. roadrunner...i wouldn't stress to much, those rejections are competitive programs. you'll land something.

if you guys are at all curious:
i'm an IMG (Ross U)
my IM porgram is a university program... but just got off probation and has a pathetic board pass rate over the last several years
my step scores are 92 & 88
i have one published case report, 3 presentations, a decent project in the works that i got a grant and travel award for
a monkey could've written my personal statement
my letters are the usual

being an IMG is the killer. i've "heard" the programs have filters...so places like colorado probably didn't ever even see my app.

So a Program cood. calls me up and asks me today- u say you are on a H1B visa but your app. says u will change to J1 ?
so does that mean if you are ready to downgrade.

Made a mistake- honest: I thought for 20 seconds- what the *&^%-sure I'll go into any visa if you give me a decent pulmonary program.Then said well.....if push comes to shove...yes...
After that call.....no email.
I'm such a *****.
someone pls kick me.

Anyone else get an email from Wisconsin saying they aren't interviewing for 2007? What a bitch....I want some money back from ERAS.....

New Invitations
Yale
UC San Diego
MUSC
UC Davis

New Rejections
Johns Hopkins

New interviews:
University of Minnesota
Wayne State
Emory

What about Baylor or Tufts or Northwestern or Loyola??? Any news????

interviews:
hopkins
cornell
chicago
denver
boston u
nyu
ucla
ucsd
uc davis
penn

no rejects yet

lala land said:
interviews:
hopkins
cornell
chicago
denver
boston u
nyu
ucla
ucsd
uc davis
penn

no rejects yet

hey lala land (or anyone else in the same boat),

i'm an ms4 going into IM and interested in Pulm/CCM. Just wondering what advice you'd give at this point to someone just starting residency, seeing that you got it right with all those awesome interviews in place. Thanks!

jazz

I have so far:
Oregon Health Sciences
Boston University
U of Chicago
UCLA
UCSD
Brown
UIC
Duke
UNC

emory
Case western( visa issue i guess)-snail mail.
Univ of MiSSOURI-Colombia
Henry ford
U W Madison-screwed me ,said no seats for 2007- what the *****

interviews
Med wisconsin
Univ Minn
Caritas Elizabeth Boston
UAMS
uNIV south carolina.

where's my alprazolam??????? :(

I am new to the forum, an IMG doing my IM on a J1 at a community hospital. Can someone please list the IMG friendly PCCM programs in the east coast so that I can try and get an elective in one of those places. Thanks.

I think what we are seeing is the difference btween the AMG and the IMG factions(?)
I have only applied to programs that will take me on my present H1B
have 3 interviews till date-out of which one is from my place( so a pity IV ,I guess , since I didn't work too hard to connect to the right people(PD etc) in the program.
Have not recieved any rjections besides an instantaneous one from OHSU.
i dont have any resarch at all, but a few Indian publications( case reports).
Have written a nice PS (my wife thinks so).
CV is average- have scores in mid 90s.
what more? getting older, balder and fatter.
If things dont work out ,will try to switch to hospitalist or may even change my visa to J1 then.
"There is a saying in Hindi- If god has given you a mouth ,then dont worry, he will surely get you some food too".
GL.[/QUOTE]

scorpion said:
I am new to the forum, an IMG doing my IM on a J1 at a community hospital. Can someone please list the IMG friendly PCCM programs in the east coast so that I can try and get an elective in one of those places. Thanks.

scorpion said:
scorpion said:

IMG but no idea which NY programs will give u an elective,have applied to about 3-4 NY programs: JUST bcoz.....blah...blah...blah H1B visa.
will ask around .
take care guys

Bobblehead said:
What would people find helpful to see on the interview day tour? And what would be useful to hear about during the interview day lunch?

anyways
more rejects
Case western/
UKMC

some PC was trying to reach me on my cell....twice,call never came through.
Life is a female dog.
On hold for Henry ford.(pc says will call if some one drops out).
BTW-interviewed at med wisconsin-laid back-batch is full of thier own folks.

jazz79 said:
hey lala land (or anyone else in the same boat),

i'm an ms4 going into IM and interested in Pulm/CCM. Just wondering what advice you'd give at this point to someone just starting residency, seeing that you got it right with all those awesome interviews in place. Thanks!

jazz
Hi Jazz,
There's actually no big secrets about the right things to do. If you're an MS4, you're probably in the process of interviewing at different residency programs, preparing a rank list, etc. Obviously, a residency program with a prestigious Medicine department will help when you're applying to any fellowship. However, Pulm fellowship programs do seem to pay attention to the caliber of the Pulmonary division at your residency program. If you happen to do research with a prominent Pulm doc, his/her letter will carry a lot of weight. Other than choosing the right program, most academic Pulm programs emphasize research. Granted, it's difficult to find a lot of time to do research during residency, but you can usually squeeze a couple of months into second year if you really want to. Also, if you have time near the end of your MS4 year, you might be able to get a small research project out of it. Try to do your ICU month with a well-known attending, and let it be known that you too are a lung person and will be needing a letter of rec. Finally, any publications or presentations are obviously helpful. While the NEJM may seem out of reach, there are a lot of mini-opportunities to write a case report or to do a poster presentation about a particularly interesting patient with a particularly esoteric diagnosis. Other than these rather mundane tips, previous posters are accurate in saying that U.S. grads (particularly those from academic residency programs) really do have an advantage when applying to Pulm/CCM. Like it or not, that alone probably helps more than anything.

Hi:
Calls:
GWU
Jefferson
Cornell
University of cincinnati
University of Louisville
SUNY Upstate

Rejects
SOuth Florida
Henry Ford
Washington University
University of Pitsburgh
Indiana University

They are kind'a slow in responding arent they
Still need to hear from 30 programs

Just got a rejection from University of Tenessee Memphis. Just wondering has anyone started to call programs about interviews yet? I still have to hear from 10+ programs.

rejects-
Ohio state
Wayne state
Henry Ford
University Hospital/Case western
Emory
Colorado
University of South Florida
Pitt
Brown
University Tenesse

Invites-
Louisville
Tufts/NEMC
University of Arizona

DO you guys think some programs interview really late, as late as May. I called alot of programs, some still haven't reviewed applications.

Thank you lala land!

Jazz

more rejections-
Iowa
Sunny upstate

more interviews-
Umass

Just got an interview from Temple. Going on my first interview on Friday any last minute tips?

ok so i havnt done any interviews yet but i thought i would post some thoughts as this board seems to be slowing down big time. my friend here in my residency program has done 2 pulm/crit care fellowship interviews already this month and he said they were pretty laid back. asked him about his future plans, any research interests. do you guys have anything to add about how the interview experience has gone so far?
i have gotten invites at uva, unc, george washington, cleveland clinic, and univ of maryland at this point. rejections from emory and vanderbilt. some schools such as medical college of virginia have told me they do not start reviewing applications until feb 15th. i guess the waiting game continues.

CHPulm24 said:
Just got an interview from Temple. Going on my first interview on Friday any last minute tips?

Am trying to get over my interviews ASAP.
Buffalo-laid back, too mcuh work
Medical college of Wisconsin-laid back- dont even apply there, too many of their own for us to get ranked there.
Will inetrview at Baylor soon.
also have three smaller programs coming up yet...bad enough being an IMG, now this really screws it up.
besides...Madison now says they never had any 2007 positions...what the....?

Something odd happened yesterday. I recieved an invite from the university of south florida after getting a rejection from them late janurary. Anyone else encounter a similar situation? i guess alot of people declined their invite.

Anyone know about USF? how many spots? how many people interviewing?
thanks

Road runner said:
Something odd happened yesterday. I recieved an invite from the university of south florida after getting a rejection from them late janurary. Anyone else encounter a similar situation? i guess alot of people declined their invite.

Anyone know about USF? how many spots? how many people interviewing?
thanks

Just kidding, dude.
Its a decent program-good job.I'm waiting for something to turn up at Jacksonville.
more rejects
U wash-seattle
Buffalo

New interviews
Loyola- total IVs now 6 and rejects 5.

interviews:
hopkins
cornell
chicago
denver
boston u
nyu
ucla
ucsd
uc davis
penn
stanford
harvard

spyrogyra1 said:

Just kidding, dude.
Its a decent program-good job.I'm waiting for something to turn up at Jacksonville.
more rejects
U wash-seattle
Buffalo

New interviews
Loyola- total IVs now 6 and rejects 6(new!)
Beth Israel ,impressed with my qualifications as usual but found someone else.
BTW.....Madison mailed me again.....says that I was rejected for their 2006 position- when did I apply for that....what the....who's goin to finish my last year here?
man............those guys up there have their brains frozen. :laugh:

"Beth Israel ,impressed with my qualifications as usual but found someone else."

Is it BI in NY? What do you mean, when you say this? Did they take someone out of the match? My interview there is in 2 weeks.

Thank You.

doctel said:
"Beth Israel ,impressed with my qualifications as usual but found someone else."

Is it BI in NY? What do you mean, when you say this? Did they take someone out of the match? My interview there is in 2 weeks.

Thank You.
No , dude.....I think they liked you more than me.
thats all.
You, a New yorker?
GL for the interview.

Guys update......Rejected politely by the PD -univ of rochester-must have 15 internal candidates to choose from I'll bet.

rejection update-
BI-NYC

Road runner said:
rejection update-
BI-NYC

Got a rejection from Rush.
These midwest programs are killing me!

invite at wake forest via email.