Purdue c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they did about 60 in state and 240 out of state :) they gave us the numbers at the banquet but I don't remember them exactly!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
When the professor and current student were talking they were saying that they are looking at around 50/50 for acceptances. But as far as interviews go, I (like MM) cannot remember specially the number for the interviews.

When the professor and current student were talking they were saying that they are looking at around 50/50 for acceptances. But as far as interviews go, I (like MM) cannot remember specially the number for the interviews.

Wait, is there a 50/50 acceptance rate for OOS as well? That would mean that they over-accept ~120 people for 42 spots? That would be great if it were true, but it is somewhat common to some schools to over-accept?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that means 50 offers for IS and 50 offers for OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Or that the available seats are split 50% instate and 50% out of state. Last year Purdue accepted 42 IS and 42 OOS.

Or that the available seats are split 50% instate and 50% out of state. Last year Purdue accepted 42 IS and 42 OOS.

Yes, this too. HillRunner, is that a Brittany in your pic?

Why am I already nervous?? :-(

Do you have an interview this Friday (the 31st)? Trust me when I say that everyone is really really nice. Everyone tries to make you really comfortable and you really get a taste of the family atmosphere there. The banquet was also amazing and had fantastic food and speakers that was there. Everyone that I talked to (student and other interviewees) all had really conversational and laid-back interviews. I had a slightly different experience in my interview, and my both of my interviewers definitely had their poker faces on. I stumbled through a bunch of questions and walked out quite devastated, and it wasn't until the banquet that I was calmed down enough to realize that it didn't go as badly as I thought it did. This being said, I still fell absolutely in love at Purdue and I honestly think my interview was a bit of an anomaly.

But anyways, Purdue really was great, try to not to stress -they are not there to interrogate you- and good luck on your interview! :):luck:

If it makes you feel any better, the least nerve wracking part of my day was the actual interview.

I just want to get this over with. I think waiting to hear back from interviews is more stressful than the actual interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
She make it sound like the seats were going to be around 50% IS and 50% OS. Maybe not exactly that split but somewhere close to that.

You will be great! Everyone was super nice and they are not there to trip you up. They really want to figure out who you are as a person.

Do you have an interview this Friday (the 31st)? Trust me when I say that everyone is really really nice. Everyone tries to make you really comfortable and you really get a taste of the family atmosphere there. The banquet was also amazing and had fantastic food and speakers that was there. Everyone that I talked to (student and other interviewees) all had really conversational and laid-back interviews. I had a slightly different experience in my interview, and my both of my interviewers definitely had their poker faces on. I stumbled through a bunch of questions and walked out quite devastated, and it wasn't until the banquet that I was calmed down enough to realize that it didn't go as badly as I thought it did. This being said, I still fell absolutely in love at Purdue and I honestly think my interview was a bit of an anomaly.

But anyways, Purdue really was great, try to not to stress -they are not there to interrogate you- and good luck on your interview! :):luck:
I'm super excited for the whole interview day!! What's the dress code for the banquet?

I'm super excited for the whole interview day!! What's the dress code for the banquet?

As far as I know, the dress code for the banquet seemed a wee bit more causal. Most people still wore the same outfit for their interview, but I changed into more comfortable shoes (no thank you heels), and I knew a few people that changed into just slacks and a blouse or a nice dress. It's up to you really, still try to be a tad professional, but be comfortable as well.

Anyone remember what time te banquet lasted til?

Anyone remember what time te banquet lasted til?

It lasted until around 8:50 -9ish. Quite late. Though you had the option of skipping the student panel and leaving around 8:10-8:20ish if you wanted.

Thanks Ashgirl! I'm staying with a friend who lives in Indianapolis, so just trying to get an idea of what time I'll get back Friday night so I can let her know! How did your interview go?

Thanks Ashgirl! I'm staying with a friend who lives in Indianapolis, so just trying to get an idea of what time I'll get back Friday night so I can let her know! How did your interview go?
...oops I just read above :) I hope that my interviewers are the more relaxed type :/ I'm nervous too!

As far as I know, the dress code for the banquet seemed a wee bit more causal. Most people still wore the same outfit for their interview, but I changed into more comfortable shoes (no thank you heels), and I knew a few people that changed into just slacks and a blouse or a nice dress. It's up to you really, still try to be a tad professional, but be comfortable as well.
Thank you, Ashgirl! That was what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure from someone who had already experienced it! I might just end up wearing my interview outfit!

Hey guys! Does anyone know if interviews are closed or open file? I'm preparing for my interview this Friday, and I am trying to get an idea of what to expect. Thank you very much!

Hey guys! Does anyone know if interviews are closed or open file? I'm preparing for my interview this Friday, and I am trying to get an idea of what to expect. Thank you very much!
I believe it's a combination of open and closed, so one of the interviewers knows nothing about you and the other one has looked at your file and knows all about you. I could be wrong though, but that's what I've heard! I have my interview this Friday as well!

One has seen your app and the other has not... (Sorry... going to expand more, was half asleep when I answered earlier...)

I believe that every interview group has an adcom member in it (if you are in a group of three, then two of them may be adcom members) and they are the one's that have viewed your profile/application. Just be confident and remember that they saw something in your application that they liked enough to invite you to interview :D

Last edited:
Do not go in something you are going to question the whole time or be uncomfortable in. I would say business casual is a good way to look at it. Nice pants and a sweater or blouse and some comfortable shoes. The banquet will be help in the Union, which is right across from the parking garage but it will still probably be chilly. Just be sensible :)

They banquet is going to be a way to help you unwind and talk with other student and faculty. Try to sit with different faculty that you interviewed with to help get a better feeling for the school :) They feed you well, I think that was the best meal that I have had my whole weekend!

One additional tip... if you have a chance before your interview, look up the faculty that will be interviewing you to get a feel for what their background is in. They will have a little pass you can use to get free internet while you are there :)

Relax! You guys are going to be great!

How can we find out which faculty are interviewers?

How can we find out which faculty are interviewers?
You will not find out until you check in and get your folder. They will have a sheet with the names, time, and room.

I can't believe interviews are tomorrow!! Ahhh!! Very excited!

On a side note, anyone who interviewed last week, did they tell you when you should expect to hear about acceptances?

I can't believe interviews are tomorrow!! Ahhh!! Very excited!

On a side note, anyone who interviewed last week, did they tell you when you should expect to hear about acceptances?

They said we should hear around mid-Feb. Last year the Dean started making phone calls around Feb 8th, I hoping it will be that early this year as well!

Also- Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow. You will all do great! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Finally here! Love it already! :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know any good places to eat around here?

@cowdoctr If you're on campus I suggest School House of Chili. Or Triple X (burgers). 9 Irish Brothers is good if you want more of a sit down restaurant. If you want a nice dinner, Mountain Jack's is further from campus but is goooood.

Anyone know any good places to eat around here?
I don't know about eating but I had great ice cream tonight at a place called...silver something. Sorry, not much help lol.

Anyone know if Purdue still does terminal surgeries? I've seen old facts stating that they do, but does anyone know if this is still true? Also, if they do, do they offer alternatives or are you required to do them?

Anyone know if Purdue still does terminal surgeries? I've seen old facts stating that they do, but does anyone know if this is still true? Also, if they do, do they offer alternatives or are you required to do them?
They will talk about this today at the interview. But, they said they are discontinuing terminal surgeries on small animal surgeries. Terminal surgeries will still take place on large animals.

Good Luck to the 2nd group of interviewees today :)

Now for my question:

I got a reply to my Thank you email from one of my interviewers. Did anyone else?
I find this unsettling. I'd rather they didn't say anything. Granted the message was positive/neutral but the good luck to you and your veterinary aspirations gives me this feeling of dread like it was a sympathetic response. Or do you think I'm just reading into this too much?

I got a reply to my Thank you email from one of my interviewers. Did anyone else?
I find this unsettling. I'd rather they didn't say anything. Granted the message was positive/neutral but the good luck to you and your veterinary aspirations gives me this feeling of dread like it was a sympathetic response. Or do you think I'm just reading into this too much?

I didn't think we could contact admissions/interviewers (some other schools have rules), so I didn't send a thank you, but here are my thoughts.

I wouldn't think anything of it. It's too early to make decisions and the "good luck" sounds like a polite ending to the email. If you received the response later, like next week after the second round of interviews, then I would be a little worried. ALSO, they responded to you, which means maybe they liked you! It you were for sure getting rejected, they probably wouldn't have bothered to take the time to respond. But maybe they're trying to be friendly so, if you applied to other schools, you would consider Purdue over the others because they replied. I don't know, just theories. Only time will tell for sure, and I don't know about you, but I just want it to be mid-Febuary already!

I didn't think we could contact admissions/interviewers (some other schools have rules), so I didn't send a thank you, but here are my thoughts.

I wouldn't think anything of it. It's too early to make decisions and the "good luck" sounds like a polite ending to the email. If you received the response later, like next week after the second round of interviews, then I would be a little worried. ALSO, they responded to you, which means maybe they liked you! It you were for sure getting rejected, they probably wouldn't have bothered to take the time to respond. But maybe they're trying to be friendly so, if you applied to other schools, you would consider Purdue over the others because they replied. I don't know, just theories. Only time will tell for sure, and I don't know about you, but I just want it to be mid-Febuary already!

Thanks HillRunner. That makes me feel better. I guess I didn't think of it that way. I agree about speeding up the clock to mid-Feb, however, I have a statistics project to figure out and 2 exams that week so I guess I can wait ;)

And now we wait some more....

I am going to need something to distract me for the next month while waiting to hear back :panda:

Seriously!!!! Because work and school and other interviews certainly isn't enough of a distraction!! Lol

Good luck to everyone!

Did anyone else's flight get cancelled? ;(

I was supposed to get a 2:50 flight out of Chicago tomorrow and it was cancelled

yeah I choose a direct flight because the same thing happened to me with kansas :yawn:

The vet student I was sitting with at the banquet said that Dean Reed will call you with acceptance news! He said he calls from a blocked number, so be sure to answer!

So interviews were only a few days ago but I keep hoping we will hear...like now!!!! Lol